Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I have an idea for RAZOR vintage (new card type)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks and finally had enough time to share it with some collectors and it was very well received! There are a few different ways to go about it but I'll explain afterwards. First, let me say these mock customs were made in ms paint and i have no real skill so they are just for refrence purpose. My idea is to have cards made of authentic vintage player contracts. Here is what I was thinking...

CM1.jpg

CM2.jpg

CM3.jpg

CM4.jpg

**Original Contract**

Everyone I have talked to said it would be an awesome card/set to own and track down complete sets! Weither they were inserts in some vintage product or a stand alone set including many vintage players. And I figure it could be done a few different ways...

1. Use replica pieces for the card, and make the complete set redeemable for the actual contract.
2. Insert actual cut pieces in to the cards.
3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

Anyway, I finally offer it up here for opinion, and freely give this idea over to BG because I like his style and willingness to try and do things a bit different. I believe it to be somewhat of a unique idea and would love to be able to pull pieces of history like this from my busts!

And personally, think it would be a smashing sucess!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
~ 50 views and no opinions? :evil:

Well, atleast there are no negative ones. :cool:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
I was going to comment....but realized Im just a hater anyway... so why bother.

By all means my good man, fire away!

I realise that not everyone has the same opinions, and I welcome yours, or anyones!

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
matfanofold said:
1. Use replica pieces for the card, and make the complete set redeemable for the actual contract.
2. Insert actual cut pieces in to the cards.
3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

I think it'd be cooler if they had the back of the card one section of the contract, and if you collected say, all 9, then the backs would be the contract. Kind of like the declaration / constitution sets topps did a few years back. I think this way would be more fun for the average collector since most of us couldn't drop enough coin to acquire all 4 of your cards.

I don't like the idea of cutting up the contract....I mean, this is Mathewson, would it eventually lead to cutting up babe ruths?

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I hate the idea of cutting up historical documents. If a company acquires a contract, I would prefer them to offer a redemption card for the full contract. I hate seeing all of the presidential signatures cut from documents. Even if it's just land deeds. A document signed by a historical figure is worth more to me than a piece of one.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I like the idea and I know I'd be making a run at certain players if they were put into this set.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
Much more original then some of the crap that is produce. I think even though you are destroying an obvious historical item it is more related to baseball then say a Bench that Babe Ruth might have placed his glove on. Maybe if you did this with Bank cheques of players ( lots are used as cuts) or if there was a redemption for the original and these were reprinted inserts that might be better.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I think his first idea was to have replica pieces as the actual card, and if you collect all the replica pieces, you could redeem them for the whole, complete, actual contract...If I'm reading it right.

I don't like the idea of cutting them up.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the opinions guys!

It's been the classic debate since "piece of.." cards have been put in to products. There are always thoes opposed to cutting up historical pieces of baseball lore, but there has never been a lack of buyers also. And while the debate will probablly always go on, I'm really not opposed to it. Sure, if it were the only 'player x' doccument in existance, and it was ripped from some museam to use, I may be opposed, but other than that I would assume there is enough player contracts for every individual to go around, albiet some more scarce than others. I personally feel the actual cards would be more coveted, and thus more valuable with the actual doccument affixed, with a premium attached to certin prime pieces, but as I also mentioned, I would not be entirely opposed to simply putting replica pieces out as a way to collect and redeem actual contracts.

I think it may work best if both methods were used. Where most of the cards were actual contracts, but randomly inserted for the top tier(rare) ones are replica ones redeemable for actual doccuments. I think it would be interesting trying to build a set. Or pulling a prime piece of a CY Young contract.

Thanks again for your comments!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Morning wood, erm... I mean bump for more thoughts, ideas, opinions, ect..

I'm considering on getting ahold of a Gooden contract if I can find one and attempt a custom design. I 'think' if I take my time, I can probablly put something nice together in ps. And if and when it comes time to actually make, I'll just find someone and pay them to do it right. I really want to see this come to fruition.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
if you're going to use the image of the player, you need licensing of said player from his estate or the company that has purchased the licensing rights.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
I understand the hesitancy to cut up historic documents, but if they're going to be cut up anyway, I like the idea of using the whole document.

Frankly, I'm shocked that the companies haven't done this already. Rather than throwing away the rest of the contract, letter, land deed, etc., they should make a separate subset of serial-numbered cards featuring a piece of the "player touched" document. I doubt people would pay a huge amount for the unsigned piece cards, but they'd have *some* value (like stadium seat cards, etc.).

I know it wouldn't be something that everyone would be interested in, but I think it would be a cost effective way for card companies to add value to their products.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
Pretty interesting idea. Dunno if it could carry a product though.

Yeah, not sure it would carry a product alone, but I think it would be a neat insert/subset/chase card(s)!

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Just me, but I'd rather have the full contract slabbed by BGS/JSA than the cut.

Members online

Latest posts