Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I know Spring Training stats mean nothing - Mariano Rivera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
But dang, look at Mo's stats in Spring Training the past 7 years:

IP: 46.1
H: 19
BB: 5
ER: 2
K: 56
ERA: 0.39
WHIP: 0.52

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Maybe pitching coaches should have their pitchers follow Mariano's off season and spring training routine.
DANNY

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
you have to look at the caliber of people he is pitching against. chances are most of the guys he has faced in the 9th inning are probably A or AA guys. Rivera's one of the best all time so he should be putting up stats like that in ST

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
bowmanchromeandorr said:
you have to look at the caliber of people he is pitching against. chances are most of the guys he has faced in the 9th inning are probably A or AA guys. Rivera's one of the best all time so he should be putting up stats like that in ST

Two things:

1. He usually pitches in the 5th inning so he's faces the starters.

2. I think you are underestimating how good those stats are.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
I know it's still ST, but Mo has NEVER had to travel in ST. This might be the first year where he has to wear the road Greys!

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
markakis8 said:
bowmanchromeandorr said:

Two things:

1. He usually pitches in the 5th inning so he's faces the starters.

2. I think you are underestimating how good those stats are.

they are great stats. any pitcher who throws 1 pitch and still has those kinds of numbers is a great pitcher. i mean the hitters know what he's gonna throw and they still can't hit him.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
1990 Eckersley-like stats (ie 4 walks, 5 earned runs, 48 saves)

still good for facing batters trying to tune up their bat speed after the holiday hams...

IMO you better be doin that in the season when you get paid $83,000 per out....

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
bowmanchromeandorr said:

That wouldn't really diminish the numbers for me. Yes those hitters are not going to be as talented, but if you're facing AA and AAA they also may be more focused and taking it more seriously than a MLB hitter. If you're a A guy - that is your chance. You're doing whatever you can, so for the rest of your life you can say you had a hit off Mo. (even if it is just Spring Training).

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.
I hate to say it as a Sox fan......but he's just that good. Pre-Season, Regular Season, Post Season.
And it's also not a surprise he'd fare well early, since he is basically using one pitch. It's less likely he's going to go out there and try to feature a 3rd pitch for a ST outing, or work on other pitches, like some other pitcher's who may be doing that and not focused on the result.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
too bad he chokes in the playoffs. anyone else remember 01 and 04?

Not sure why I am even bothering, but I imagine you also remember that he has an ERA of .70 in 141 innings of postseason ball. Quite simply he's the best reliever, preseason, regular season and postseason of all-time.

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
Topnotchsy said:
miguelcabrera said:
too bad he chokes in the playoffs. anyone else remember 01 and 04?

Not sure why I am even bothering, but I imagine you also remember that he has an ERA of .70 in 141 innings of postseason ball. Quite simply he's the best reliever, preseason, regular season and postseason of all-time.

Don't confuse people with facts lol... no he's not perfect but he's closer than any other closer has ever been.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts