Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is baseball card collecting almost Dead??? What's your take on it??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Ebay made things convenient but there is no thrill of the hunt anymore.

Replaced with the Thrill of the Snipe!

All these people who keep saying shows are dead, do you check the Beckett show calendar?

I live in rural Illinois and there is a show every week within a decent drive of me.

And several BIG shows per year.

Consider yourself lucky. Not as many shows in my area as a decade ago. But hopefully that will change soon, starting with the show I'm going to tomorrow. First one in Santa Cruz, so I hope its decent.

Uh no, there's only one big show. He was better in wcw than wwf though.

Zing! Good one. :)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I also don't want to bring up the whole redemption topic again, but let's face it, they have really put a dent in the hobby. Getting promised a card, waiting for years, and then getting something totally different in return... not a good way to keep customers.

Well that's kinda why I said in the thread about redemptions that we and the manufacturers have created a monster. The problem is, it's like a drug addiction. And it's not a safe drug. And you can't get rid of the problem by taking more and more of the drug. And you can't just keep ignoring it either. That's why I wondered if maybe it was just a better idea to go ahead and kill off the auto and GU stuff and just go back to the basics and the inserts. And also lower the price of boxes. It'll drive a lot of people away. But maybe those people need to be driven away for the hobby to survive. Because a lot of them aren't totally engrossed in the hobby themselves and a ton of them are involved for the wrong reasons(I.e. money...). I hate to say it but that is why the hobby is where it is. Instant access to everything, too much of everything, everything is expensive to open, and everyone is more worried about selling than collecting. It's ok in moderation but when it's hobby wide, it's not self sustaining. And there is simply nowhere else for the hobby to go. That's why you are seeing throwback sets and insert types that were first introduced in the mid 90's.

Some of us can truly appreciate the hobby for what it is and where it is. A lot of us can't. Seeing as how the hobby has little place else to reach into, the only other option is for collectors who can't deal with it to leave.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Dead, no? I think it has been on a decline for years now and I think it started when company's started catering towards prospectors.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
let the money mongers leave, no worries.

This has been my motto for many many years. If the money leaves the hobby I can get the cards I want for a price that I can afford. I am not worried about the value of my collection as I am doing this for my enjoyment of the hobby and any monetary value I get from it is just icing on the cake.

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
This has been my motto for many many years. If the money leaves the hobby I can get the cards I want for a price that I can afford. I am not worried about the value of my collection as I am doing this for my enjoyment of the hobby and any monetary value I get from it is just icing on the cake.

+1

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
For me sketch card collecting has filled the void. Not only are there MANY great products out there for those who want to pull a potentially great card, the artists themselves are open for commissions so you can get exactly what you want. Most of them with their own card stock too.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
There is always someone saying the Hobby is dying, but it never does.

In fact, usually the Hobby "comes back", most times for the better. Collectors were lamenting the Hobby dying in '81, then after the strike in '94 and then in '08-09 with the lack of new rookies. Each time, it changed, usually more of a focus on Vintage or the emergence of Player collectors, something like that. Heck, just check the prices high-end vintage is getting, especially at auction houses. Yikes!

Yes, the people looking at it for just the money angle will get disappointed and leave, but that doesn't indicate anything about the health of the Hobby.

And if you aren't getting the prices you want for what you're selling, then hold off and re-list them in the spring when prices generally go up anyway...

Members online

Latest posts