Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Bryce Harper overrated and just a semi-star and NOT a mega-star as we thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It makes sense in that harper put up those numbers at the age of 21. It also put in perspective how whats considered disappointing is not so much...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Absolutely!

Harper has a freakin 8+ WAR at 21 years old!

Bonds didnt even play until he was 21!

How people can intelligently say Harper is overrated is beyond me

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It makes sense in that harper put up those numbers at the age of 21. It also put in perspective how whats considered disappointing is not so much...
I understand what you're saying and it's impressive that Harper put up that career WAR duirng his age 19 and 20 seasons.
Griffey is a fair comparison, because they were the same age. But you can't compare career WARs with random players who didn't start playing until a year or two after Harper.

If you include Babe Ruth, why not Ty Cobb, whose 9.5 WAR before his age 21 season is better than Harper's?
Why not include Ted Williams, whose 6.7 WAR in his age 20 season blows away Harpers age 20 season?
It just seems like a list of players cherry-picked to favor Harper.

I agree that Harper's an awesome player, but the purpose of a comparitive list is to use players of similar criteria.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Harper is 21, as in twenty one years old.
As in barely legal to drink.

Age has everything to do with this.

His first two years match up greatly with griffey so if you think Harper is over rated, you must have thought the same with griffey.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I understand what you're saying and it's impressive that Harper put up that career WAR duirng his age 19 and 20 seasons.
Griffey is a fair comparison, because they were the same age. But you can't compare career WARs with random players who didn't start playing until a year or two after Harper.

If you include Babe Ruth, why not Ty Cobb, whose 9.5 WAR before his age 21 season is better than Harper's?
Why not include Ted Williams, whose 6.7 WAR in his age 20 season blows away Harpers age 20 season?

I agree that Harper's an awesome player, but the purpose of a comparitive list is to use players of similar criteria.

The bolded is the interesting part. I dont believe anyone here is saying he's an awesome player or living up to the hype. But there is lunacy in this thread with the people talking about how old he is and using words he hasnt even come close to earning.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

But I do agree that Harper's an awesome player and he is definitely not overrated because of what he's already accomplished at his age.
Now if only he can stay healthy he'll be amazing.

So what you're saying is, Harper is putting up numbers that fall in line with Hall of Famers such as Cobb, Williams and Griffey.

Seems to be adding to the arguement that he's not overrated at all, which is the correct arguement here.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So what you're saying is, Harper is putting up numbers that fall in line with Hall of Famers such as Cobb, Williams and Griffey.

Seems to be adding to the arguement that he's not overrated at all, which is the correct arguement here.
And I agree he is not overrated. I think he's great when healthy.
I was just questioning Wes' choice of players, when he should have used players of comparative age, like Cobb and Williams.
Otherwise, you can use stats of any great rookies in history and compare them to legends who didn't become great until a few years into their career. It means nothing.

And to people who say Harper is overrated and a bust, remember last April, when he hit .344 with 9 homers?
No one thought he was overrated a year ago. Then he got hurt and played injured the rest of the season, hurting his stats. And now people say he's overrated again.
He's playing with an injured quad now. When he finally gets healthy, watch out.
And I don't own a single card of him other than a base Topps card.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I don't think that he is overrated, but I wonder how much he will grow into a mature ball player. He is still young and he needs to start seeing himself as less of a prima donna, so that he will continue to work to be the best that he can be. Attitude will make or break him.
DANNY

Wes

OG
Administrator

They're not random players, they're players who had great careers and it shows what they had accomplished at the age that Harper is now. The point is simply that if you're calling Harper's career to this point a disappointment, you must do that in the correct context, which would paint the other players on that list (incorrectly, which is the ultimate point) in an even worse light.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Not saying WAR is worthless to ignore but when Harper puts up the season the great players have, maybe it's time to compare him to the greats.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
He's a baseball God compared to BJ Upton, so yes a superstar

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Scary how low his stuff is"? Seriously?
As Wes wrote above me, that Bowman Chrome autograph is selling for more than nearly every other BC autograph not named Pujols and Trout.

What's acutally scary, is that Harper's autographed rookie is worth more than equivalent rookie cards of Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez and other superstars who have put up Hall of Fame quality numbers.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
"Scary how low his stuff is"? Seriously?
As Wes wrote above me, that Bowman Chrome autograph is selling for more than nearly every other BC autograph not named Pujols and Trout.

What's acutally scary, is that Harper's autographed rookie is worth more than equivalent rookie cards of Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez and other superstars who have put up Hall of Fame quality numbers.

This, hell you can get a Khris Davis chrome auto for $10. Davis is no superstar, but he is outperforming Harper. Not saying their cards should have equal price points but $200 for a BGS 9 is still crazy high in my opinion.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Harper is a mega-star, but he reminds me of Eric Davis. I think the injuries will damper his career though.
You mean Harper is a potential mega-star.
Davis was a legitimate 30-30 superstar for a few years, with highs of 37 homers and 80 stolen bases.
But you're right about the injury comparison, although Harper needs to put a few great full seasons together before he can even be called a mega-star.

Members online

Latest posts