Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Bryce Harper overrated and just a semi-star and NOT a mega-star as we thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
He's got a lot of potential but the injuries are ruining it for him.

Right now he reminds me more of early years Gary Sheffield, minus the braces and mailing it in. You know the potential and talent are there, but he's producing more like Tommy Gregg than David Justice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Think the guys over rated and over priced STILL personally. Impressed by his home run derby and everyday play but the consistency isn't there and being injured hasn't helped.
And I'm one of those that won't pay 4x what I can get any other star or most hof auto for

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This guy is getting worse....and worse....and worse. I just don't understand why people defend this turd. I used to like him.
Yeah, he's been a mess this season. Injuries and a complete lack of power.
In a third of a season (52 games, 181 at bats), he's hitting .249 with 3 home runs, 14 rbi and 56 strikeouts.

Harper turns 22 in two months, so the "Wait 'til next year!" mindset of some people won't last more than another season or two.

He's reminding me of Gregg Jefferies from 25 years ago.

134-233bFr.jpg

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
This guy is getting worse....and worse....and worse. I just don't understand why people defend this turd. I used to like him.

I agree with you, however I wouldn't call him a turd. Lol

As someone who watches him play regularly, I think it's more of a head game for Bryce. He has a few bad plate appearances and it ruins him, he starts thinking his swing is jacked up. He gets a few base hits and he goes on a nice little streak.

I honestly think he still needs a few years to develop mentally. He has always been overhyped which makes everyone think so negatively about him.

I could just be biased since I'm a Nats and Harper fan. Either way it will be fun to see what happens over the next few years.

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
Waaaayyy too early to make any broad statements. He's still not 22. Has he met the hype at this point? Of course not--but to make a long term prediction at this point is foolish.

As a DC resident/Nats fan I want to see him succeed. Here's hoping he goes on a tear in September and carries it into October.

(Yes, I flat out like the guy!)

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I still cant believe people are bringing this up

He's 21 and has been batting injury all year.

Before that, he was putting up numbers comparable to Mantle at his age.

If we are having this discussion still in 3-4 years, then yeah, it'd be time to call him a bust and overrated

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I think all the years of pressure and tournaments, travel ball coast to coast from the time his was probably seven or eight years old, leaving school early and doing nothing but baseball physically took a toll on this guy. I know how young he is but he has to be tired. I want him to succeed. My 9 year old son is a Nats fan and he mentioned to me the other day that all Harper does is he swings on the first pitch of almost every at bat and then strikes out all the time. He's right.

Wes

OG
Administrator
I think all the years of pressure and tournaments, travel ball coast to coast from the time his was probably seven or eight years old, leaving school early and doing nothing but baseball physically took a toll on this guy. I know how young he is but he has to be tired. I want him to succeed. My 9 year old son is a Nats fan and he mentioned to me the other day that all Harper does is he swings on the first pitch of almost every at bat and then strikes out all the time. He's right.

What exactly is your conclusion? That he's a bust? We've already shown multiple times in this thread that he's ahead of many Hall of Famers in their careers. If you're disappointed with what he's been so far, your expectations were probably out of line. Despite his struggles since returning from injury, the numbers say he's one of the best players at his age in league history.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I really don't get why people ride this guy and how he did/is/will perform. He will do what he can do. It's once again the media and ridiculous baseball fans that create this hype and outrageous expectations, not him.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I think not.

Trout entering his age 22 season: 20.3 WAR
Sizemore entering his age 22 season: 1.1 WAR

That wasn't your question, but whatever makes you feel good...

The point was look at Sizemores first 4-5 years and then how he flamed out after that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Follow his progression in OBP and K/BB ratio and tell me he's not developing into a star hitter. At his age to be approaching a .380 OBP with a .100 split in BA is remarkable.
What? are you making up stats? His OPS and K/BB are way down this year.
And where did you get "approaching a .380 OBP?"
His yearly OBP are .340, .368. .337.

Regardless of how you feel about him as a person, you're watching history. Don't take it for granted.
People were saying the same about Griffey Jr.
What? Making stuff up again?
No one was calling Griffey overrated and a possible bust at the same age as Harper.
Griffey got better every season, and was the hottest player in the hobby his age 20 season because his stats backed it up. He was a human highlight reel in the outfield, and he was extremely likable with a smile on his face everyday, unlike the anger Harper shows all the time.

Griffey's first 3 seasons at the same age as Harper:

Age 19: .264, 16 hr, 61 rbi
Age 20: .300, 20 hr, 80 rbi
Age 21: .327, 27 hr, 80 rbi

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Sizemore is not a "guy like Trout."

I disagree. You may have a point at the same level as Trout has been, however when you look at how quickly he became a 5 tool superstar and maintained for a few years, then flamed out, I believe the comparison is fair.

Members online

Latest posts