Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is there anything which can "destroy" the hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
It's all about the money. Once companies can't make money on something they leave it behind. Maybe someone tries to come in to save it, but look at other past things like rubik's cube. Sure they make them still, but they can't be found everywhere & they quality is not the same. And yes Baseball cards have been around a lot longer, but nowadays, businesses move faster than ever and if something doesn't make a profit it will be cut from production.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Something ridiculous like $100-$500 packs. Oh no wait...

Something ridiculous like tons of cards so rare that nobody can ever have the hope of a complete collection of their favorite player. Oh no wait...

Something ridiculous like a dozen barely distinguishable parallels in every product that make it more of 'an exercise in tedious frustration' than 'fun' to collect your favorite player/team. Oh no wait...

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Something ridiculous like $100-$500 packs. Oh no wait...

Something ridiculous like tons of cards so rare that nobody can ever have the hope of a complete collection of their favorite player. Oh no wait...

Something ridiculous like a dozen barely distinguishable parallels in every product that make it more of 'an exercise in tedious frustration' than 'fun' to collect your favorite player/team. Oh no wait...

I Think if Topps were to Monopolize eventually it would destroy the Hobby...Oh no wait....

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think, like many others, the hobby could truly be destroyed. In my estimation, the biggest kick in the gut would be if it came out that all gu/autos were fake. I think at this point the gu is kind of a lost cause anyways but the autos would be a big deal. Sure there would still be set collectors and insert/parallel collectors. But it would do some heavy damage to an already unsteady hobby.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
2020 was genuinely weird. For about 72 hours after they canceled the NBA season, everyone was predicting dark days for the hobby, including me. The explosion that happened coming out of that was the exact opposite and completely unexpected. Things have returned to something close to pre-pandemic normal, except pricing and print runs of new product are still warped. I suspect they'll be cutting back on print runs this year. No going back on the pricing, though. They like those monies.

Members online

Latest posts