Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Clement Pulled in 3rd Inning - Trade w/Pirates Complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Jack Wilson traded to Seattle

Can any Seattle fans shed some light on the quality of the players Pittsburgh is getting?

I've been very supportive of the moves the front office has made to this point, with the possible exception of the return on the Bay trade. With that said, it's very hard to see a player who you've watched and collected for 9 years leaving your favorite team. Guess it's time to look for a new player collection...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Why did Pitt trade for a catcher when they drafted (arguably) a MLB ready catcher in the first round?

Reyes7tulo2

Aug 8, 2008

Pitt is now loaded with former top prospects. Alvarez, Tabata, McCutchen, Clement. Not a bad core.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

HPC said:
Why did Pitt trade for a catcher when they drafted (arguably) a MLB ready catcher in the first round?

One of two scenarios come to mind...either they want to move Doumit out from behind the plate to try and keep him healthy, or they see Clement as a 1B rather than a catcher. Either way, I'm not certain either player fits into the club's longterm plans. Alvarez will likely end up as a 1B eventually, and I think Tony Sanchez will develop into a very solid defensive catcher with about a league average bat.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY

subject to change said:
I'm not really sure what to say...Jack has been my favorite player since his rookie year. I suppose it's not a total loss, because Seattle is actually my second favorite team, but... I still had a little bit of hope that Jack and Freddy might be resigned. It's really becoming hard for me to still be a fan of this team.

You should be use to that. Your name is pefect for a Pirates fan

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Just an interesting point of note...even if the Pirates pay a portion of the salaries, with Snell's $4mil, Wilson's $7mil option, LaRoche's $3mil remaining on this season, McLouth's contract, and presumably Sanchez's contract all coming off the books, the Pirates could have a ridiculously low payroll for next season.

Even with potential salary increases through arbitration, there should be around $25 million coming off the books for next year. It will be very interesting to see how much, if any, of that money is invested back into the organization at either the major league level or through the draft and international signings.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

colts1888 said:
subject to change said:
I'm not really sure what to say...Jack has been my favorite player since his rookie year. I suppose it's not a total loss, because Seattle is actually my second favorite team, but... I still had a little bit of hope that Jack and Freddy might be resigned. It's really becoming hard for me to still be a fan of this team.

Haha...never really looked at it that way, but it is quite fitting. I might just be blinded by my man-crush, but I think the reaction of the general public will be a public relations disaster after this deal. Guys like Giles and Kendall had already managed to burn all their bridges in Pittsburgh before being traded, while players like Nady, McLouth, and Morgan had been in Pittsburgh a relatively short time. Jack has been with the team for 9 seasons, and his flashy defense has made him a fan favorite among casual and diehard fans. He also did a lot of work in the community, and was always known as one of the more fan friendly players at a time when the majority of Pirates were anything but. Oh well...being a Pirates fan has never been easy over the past 20 years.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY

subject to change said:
colts1888 said:
[quote="subject to change":1t79rl52]I'm not really sure what to say...Jack has been my favorite player since his rookie year. I suppose it's not a total loss, because Seattle is actually my second favorite team, but... I still had a little bit of hope that Jack and Freddy might be resigned. It's really becoming hard for me to still be a fan of this team.

Haha...never really looked at it that way, but it is quite fitting. I might just be blinded by my man-crush, but I think the reaction of the general public will be a public relations disaster after this deal. Guys like Giles and Kendall had already managed to burn all their bridges in Pittsburgh before being traded, while players like Nady, McLouth, and Morgan had been in Pittsburgh a relatively short time. Jack has been with the team for 9 seasons, and his flashy defense has made him a fan favorite among casual and diehard fans. He also did a lot of work in the community, and was always known as one of the more fan friendly players at a time when the majority of Pirates were anything but. Oh well...being a Pirates fan has never been easy over the past 20 years.[/quote:1t79rl52]

Atleast you guys got one winnign franchise in the Steelers

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Jeff is finally FREEEEEE!!!!!! of those Seattle shackles. Hello Pitt....ugh :cry: Well, hopefully he'll finally get a legit shot to play in the majors there! :D

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
brouthercard said:
Jeff is finally FREEEEEE!!!!!! of those Seattle shackles. Hello Pitt....ugh :cry: Well, hopefully he'll finally get a legit shot to play in the majors there! :D

Don't get your hopes up. Clement is reporting to AAA, and probably won't be up until September. The front office is intent on giving Pearce a shot at first the rest of the season, and it's going to be hard to keep Garret Jones out of the lineup until he comes back down to earth.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
subject to change said:
brouthercard said:

Don't get your hopes up. Clement is reporting to AAA, and probably won't be up until September. The front office is intent on giving Pearce a shot at first the rest of the season, and it's going to be hard to keep Garret Jones out of the lineup until he comes back down to earth.

I don't expect Clement to get any significant playing time in the majors this year- he essentially has no experience at first base, and he will start to catch within the next week or so, and the Pirates will get to see if he can actually catch or not.

He was a lost soul in Seattle cause the new regime essentially gave up on him at the end of spring training. Seattle has too many catchers/DH/1b types in the organization, and were intent on letting Jeff go at some time during the season.

Who knows if the Pirates may potentially move Clement again?

I'm just happy Jeff finally got released from his four year prison sentence in Seattle. :D

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Jeff came in touted as the next catcher for the M's... then they signed Johjima to a long term deal..

Seattle has had catchers who could hit, but couldn't catch..
catchers who could catch and couldn't hit..
and a catcher who can't catch and can't hit..

I hope that Clement does well..

2009 Season
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
TAC PCL .288 92 372 65 107 33 3 14 68 188 43 81 1 0 .366 .505 .871

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Re: Mariners - Pirates Trade

blitzerlover said:
Dang, I really liked Pribanic.

Yeah, I hear ya. I have an Elite Auto 1/1 of his. Oh well, maybe the Pirates will become awesome in a few years and he will thrive in a pitcher's park.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009

darkman said:
I wonder if that means that Balentien will be shipped in a package with Washburn. He has to be traded since he has been DFA`d.. right?

Now I hear Wlad has been traded to Cincinnati for a relief pitcher.......

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If this is the case, the smart move would to be young talent. Maybe they'll land Strasburg next year...Doesn't make any sense to sign big names off the FA list for the next couple years...not when they've traded away every veteran sans Sanchez.

The just need to do what the Orioles are doing, draft the BEST player available, doesn't matter position, and sign him. Don't let him walk.

subject to change said:
Just an interesting point of note...even if the Pirates pay a portion of the salaries, with Snell's $4mil, Wilson's $7mil option, LaRoche's $3mil remaining on this season, McLouth's contract, and presumably Sanchez's contract all coming off the books, the Pirates could have a ridiculously low payroll for next season.

Even with potential salary increases through arbitration, there should be around $25 million coming off the books for next year. It will be very interesting to see how much, if any, of that money is invested back into the organization at either the major league level or through the draft and international signings.

Frow

2:20pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Giants are in serious talks for Sanchez. The teams are discussing John Bowker, Kevin Frandsen and Jesus Guzman.

2:04pm: Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears that the Giants are "definitely getting Freddy Sanchez." The Pirates already traded Jack Wilson today, so they could conceviably lose their entire double play combo in one day.

I wonder if the Pirates are going to have anyone over the age of 25 on their roster in a week.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Glad I asked for a replacement on my Clement Stadium Club Auto.
Got a Jeremy Reed Bowman Chrome auto instead!

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
As far as team payroll goes, it's conceivable that the organization could reduce payroll significantly for the next year or two, hope the young core develops, and possibly use the money saved to have an elevated payroll once that core nears arbitration. However, there has been little indication one way or another that the front office is willing to make that type of monetary commitment. Until they start spending significant dollars, the calls of 'salary dump' and cheap ownership will not go away.

As far as Sanchez goes, the Post-Gazette is reporting that any deal is on temporary hold due to Sanchez's current knee injury. It's entirely possible they may just be waiting a few extra days to get a better idea of how his knee is, or the deal could go through after the deadline. I wouldn't expect any team to claim him with the $8.1 million vesting option for '10.

Members online

Latest posts