Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Hamilton has alcohol relapse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Sam Banks said:
Lancemountain said:
allstars said:
Anyone that overcomes addiction for an extended period of time and falls back into the trap is weak mentally. Josh will be remembered as a sad "what could have been" story. It's his own fault, he's got enough talent to make it to Cooperstown but instead he drugged and drank his career away. He's a loser.

Quoted

Also love sambanks giving some john hughes style high school speech on how this is my stance and it will not be debated (insert slow clap) and then continues to debate and offer his world traveled, college educated, well thought out view on things.

John Hughes was a great film maker.

And it's 'Sam Banks'.

He did have some fantastic films and I look forward to your future missives on how people should and should not live according to your worldly view; views that will not be further debated, but will actually be further debated. Not sure if that sentence will pass the grammar police, but rest assured I was trying to call you ignorant so I hope that you (can) read this far.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
People become addicted to many things....sugar, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, work, fast food, driving fast, sex, hoarding items, tv, opiates, shopping, buying baseball cards.....

To judge someone for starting an addiction by a simple action that turns into routine and then a serious disease is beyond my comprehension. Addiction to an inebriating chemical is extremely hard to overcome. Good for those here that were able to pull this off easily but you can't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes or however that saying goes.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Lancemountain said:
People become addicted to many things....sugar, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, work, fast food, driving fast, sex, hoarding items, tv, opiates, shopping, buying baseball cards.....

To judge someone for starting an addiction by a simple action that turns into routine and then a serious disease is beyond my comprehension. Addiction to an inebriating chemical is extremely hard to overcome. Good for those here that were able to pull this off easily but you can't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes or however that saying goes.

To be nice, you're 'kind of' a ******.

And we were debating whether or not addiction is a 'disease'.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Lancemountain said:
but you can't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes or however that saying goes.

With all due respect to my favorite Phils fan on here, how hard can it be to walk in JH's shoes? The guy had it made, and sadly probably still does. Baseball has a way of giving guys way too many chances. Hamilton is not a role model, he's a disgrace to those that idolized him. He gets hammered because he can't be happy & comfortable in his big house with his big car & big bank account. That's sad, and nobody should feel sorry or compassion for him.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
allstars said:
Lancemountain said:
but you can't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes or however that saying goes.

With all due respect to my favorite Phils fan on here, how hard can it be to walk in JH's shoes? The guy had it made, and sadly probably still does. Baseball has a way of giving guys way too many chances. Hamilton is not a role model, he's a disgrace to those that idolized him. He gets hammered because he can't be happy & comfortable in his big house with his big car & big bank account. That's sad, and nobody should feel sorry or compassion for him.

QFT

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
I haven't read any of the 11+ pages of this, but I want to say something.

I am sure that there are people on here bashing him. Let me tell you that addiction and, even specifically, alcoholism is a daily struggle. It can be genetic, it can be new with him, but it is a chronic disease that needs constant treatment.

October 19, 1997, was the last day that I had a drink. For over 14 years, I have been sober and not had a drop. I almost died while drying out.

In July 2009, I had to take pain pills for a back issue. I should have known better, but the pain was excruciating. I quickly became addicted to them and after two months, began noticing the addictive tendencies and stopped taking them. Coming off them was awful. I cried for days, etc. I got away from them and haven't taken any pain meds since, no matter how much it hurts.

Addiction is REAL. It is a EVERY DAY battle. It can never be taken lightly and never underestimated. It is not something to make fun of.

I have been to Hell and back and it is within me. I pray every day that I have not passed this monster onto my boys, but I stay sober so that I will be ready to fight it with them if the opportunity arises.

David

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
allstars said:
Lancemountain said:

So are you assuming money buys happiness?

Are you suggesting that because he has all of those material items and a lot of money that he shouldn't have any problems or be unhappy?

That's Crucial

May 11, 2011
Beautiful man. That's real stuff. I can not believe people like Chas and allstar would say you are just making this stuff up.

dethomas07 said:

I am sure that there are people on here bashing him. Let me tell you that addiction and, even specifically, alcoholism is a daily struggle. It can be genetic, it can be new with him, but it is a chronic disease that needs constant treatment.

October 19, 1997, was the last day that I had a drink. For over 14 years, I have been sober and not had a drop. I almost died while drying out.

In July 2009, I had to take pain pills for a back issue. I should have known better, but the pain was excruciating. I quickly became addicted to them and after two months, began noticing the addictive tendencies and stopped taking them. Coming off them was awful. I cried for days, etc. I got away from them and haven't taken any pain meds since, no matter how much it hurts.

Addiction is REAL. It is a EVERY DAY battle. It can never be taken lightly and never underestimated. It is not something to make fun of.

I have been to Hell and back and it is within me. I pray every day that I have not passed this monster onto my boys, but I stay sober so that I will be ready to fight it with them if the opportunity arises.

David

nyyankeesfan.13722

Aug 7, 2008
That's Crucial said:
Beautiful man. That's real stuff. I can not believe people like Chas and allstar would say you are just making this stuff up.

dethomas07 said:

David
In there mind, if you haven't experienced it, it's not real.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
That's Crucial said:

I will defend the people with that opinion to a point. If people do not have an addiction, it is very difficult to understand. I can't really blame them for their point of view but I appreciate the fact that they will at least listen to mine also.

David

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
dethomas07 said:
That's Crucial said:

I will defend the people with that opinion to a point. If people do not have an addiction, it is very difficult to understand. I can't really blame them for their point of view but I appreciate the fact that they will at least listen to mine also.

David
Again, never said that it isn't an addiction. I was addicted to cigarettes for years.

My point all along is that it is self-perpetuated, and it is not a disease. Very simple.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I dont see how alcoholism can be genetic. Genetic means its in your dna. Hamilton's no crack baby, he's a druggy and an alcoholic This is substance abuse and addiction, nothing more. I smoked for 18 years, quit 12 years ago and havent had a puff since. Ive never been addicted to heroin becAuse ive never done heroin. Or cocaine. Or acid. I have some social drinks occasionally. If i felt the need to have alcohol id worry that i was developing a problem and id stop. Common sense, self contol and discipline. Hamilton has none of these, plus he felt the world should know that he's a great guy because he beat the addictions. Bullshiat. He's a weakling and a fraud. I never said money can by happiness. But it can buy any number of treatment programs. Of course to Josh it was alot cheaper to just order a drink or two. All his issues are self- inflicted, thats all im saying.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
ThoseBackPages said:
i think Josh Hamilton wouldnt be catching this much flack if he wasnt a god freak
Nope, it's the fact that he has been going around pontificating about how god helped him beat his addictions.

Did god buy the first round the other night too?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
ChasHawk said:
ThoseBackPages said:
i think Josh Hamilton wouldnt be catching this much flack if he wasnt a god freak
Nope, it's the fact that he has been going around pontificating about how god helped him beat his addictions.

Did god buy the first round the other night too?

Ummm, God doesn't cause problems, he only fixes them.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!

:lol:

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Comparing nicotine to alcohol is laughable.

Alcohol numbs the mind and some people abuse it due to that side effect. It is addictive and I believe it can be genetic.

Thank God you don't understand.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Adamsince1981 said:

Alcohol numbs the mind and some people abuse it due to that side effect. It is addictive and I believe it can be genetic.

You still have to go and buy it.

It doesn't just land on your face at random intervals.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
ChasHawk said:
Adamsince1981 said:

You still have to go and buy it.

It doesn't just land on your face at random intervals.

You're wasting your time. They're not going to get it. They would rather cry that it's a disease and you have no control over it and all that crap rather than realize that regardless of the reason of alcohol abuse it boils down to self control.
Or lack thereof.

That goes for anything alcohol, cigarettes, drugs. If you choose not to use them and have will power and self control, you can overcome any addiction. Or there are those that can remain weak and make excuses for themselves and others. They are called female lady parts in my book.

I smoked for 15 yrs. I tried several methods gum, patch etc. Quit cold turkey one day 10 years ago and just never put another cigarette to my mouth. Still want one, still crave it when someone smokes around me. I miss it. But I CHOOSE not to put a cigarette to my mouth ever again. I used to drink and drink way too much. My father was an alcoholic as was his before him. I knew I had a drinking problem. I enjoyed it way too much. I began by setting limits or boundries. No alcohol in the house, at all. So then I would just go out more and more. Finally I decided to never go to a bar again and avoid certain places, simply don't order a drink with dinner when we eat out. I made CHOICES. I haven't had a drink in over two years. Do I want to out with my buddies to the bar? Sure. But I choose not to. And they respect my decisions and don't push the issue.
I was also addicted, HIGHLY addicted, to Vicodin when I was younger. I began taking them because of a head injury I had. I would hoard them, take a bunch at a time. Lie about taking them, lie to my doctor about the pain so I coukd get more. To this day I don't take pain killers, no matter how bad the pain might be from something. I've had dentists offer me percocets after a root canal. No thank you. I go home and take a few Tylenol. I stay away from prescription pain killers because I know how easy it is to become addicted for me. I CHOOSE not to touch them.

It's ALL about self conteol, will power and living with the CHOICES we make, good or bad. Anything else is just an axcuse and weakness. So don't think because some of us don't buy into the illness or disease BS that we've never personally experienced addiction first hand.

Anyone who chooses not to beat an addiction, like Josh Hamimton, is just weak.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
ThoseBackPages said:

I would say that has something to do with it.

And head David, I don't really think anyone here was really saying addiction doesn't exist, just that alcoholism isn't a disease.

Members online