Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Hamilton has alcohol relapse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This is why he had a relapse:

[youtube:2wa7dblt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maRW37UdDSc[/youtube:2wa7dblt]

Incidentally, I was SHOCKED that this thread got 8 pages without this being mentioned.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ChasHawk said:
WoundedDuck said:
My point is, there is a real physiologic change that takes place with substance addiction. I agree that ultimately the person is responsible for their actions, but there has to be some middle ground. As I said before, I don't believe it's all black and white. It's not in the same place on the spectrum as other diseases, and while they still have a choice, that decision is not even close to being the same as it would for you and I.
Why not?

I smoked for 16 years. I was addicted. I would wait for my daughter to go down for a nap and then run out to the garage to have a cigarette.

But guess what? One day two years ago, I STOPPED PUTTING CIGARETTES IN MY MOUTH.......and started putting __________ in my mouth instead.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Titans74 said:
Austin said:
Titans74 said:
If he weren't Josh Hamilton of the MLB Texas Rangers it wouldn't even be news. Lincoln Parker of Johnson City, Tn likes to drink too. I don't see the media headlines, the public outcry.
Really, Captain Obvious? There are no headlines about the avererage alcoholic?
Hamilton is a star player. Therefore, millions of Rangers and baseball fans care if his career and team are affected.
He's also a likeable and active member of the Rangers and Dallas-area community with kids.
Shouldn't parents be interested?
Can't fans be concerned about one of their favorite players?
Is that really so hard to understand?

Wow. Calm down hero. You're about to burst into tears over a baseball player. Deep breaths.

So he's a drunk who likes to drink. SO WHAT. Nothing news worthy at all. Leave him alone, let him lead his life the way he wants and who gives a rats fart what he does in his personal life. Bunch o' drama queens worried about what another grown man does outside of work? Lmao.

As long as he shows up to the ballpark and puts up decent numbers, what else shoukd any of us care about? You care what he eats for breakfast too?

Judging by every one of your posts that I've ever read, you are the type of Christian I DESPISE. I loathe. And this is coming from a Christian who struggles with his faith.

Nothing you have ever said has been useful or even reflects what a Christian man should be. Complete opposite in fact.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
markakis8 said:
Titans74 said:
Wow. Calm down hero. You're about to burst into tears over a baseball player. Deep breaths.
So he's a drunk who likes to drink. SO WHAT. Nothing news worthy at all. Leave him alone, let him lead his life the way he wants and who gives a rats fart what he does in his personal life. Bunch o' drama queens worried about what another grown man does outside of work? Lmao. As long as he shows up to the ballpark and puts up decent numbers, what else shoukd any of us care about? You care what he eats for breakfast too?

Judging by every one of your posts that I've ever read, you are the type of Christian I DESPISE. I loathe. And this is coming from a Christian who struggles with his faith.Nothing you have ever said has been useful or even reflects what a Christian man should be. Complete oppositein fact.

Well then I guess it's a good thing that I couldn't care less what you think of me or your struggles with your faith huh? ;)

Ya'll getting butthurt cause some of us don't care about Hamilton and his boozing ways. Lmao. Not quite what either of our relivious preferences has to do with this anyway. Not like I'm condemning the man for drinking. I say more power to him!

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
goldenegg1 said:
Titans74 said:
So the man likes to drink and whatever else. Who cares?

If he weren't Josh Hamilton of the MLB Texas Rangers it wouldn't even be news. Lincoln Parker of Johnson City, Tn likes to drink too. I don't see the media headlines, the public outcry or the forum banter on this. Nobody hung their heads and shook them with judgemental looks when Mantle was seen at a bar getting trashed or when Billy Martin was racking up DUI's. They were grown men who chose to do as they pleased. So is Hamilton.

People should worry more about themselves and less about what others choose to do on their own time. Media has really dumbed society down and made female privates parts out of so many Americans.

Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle weren't out in the public praising Jesus for helping them fight their evils either.
No they did not. They DIED DRUNKS.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Titans74 said:
markakis8 said:
Titans74 said:
So he's a drunk who likes to drink. SO WHAT. Nothing news worthy at all. Leave him alone, let him lead his life the way he wants and who gives a rats fart what he does in his personal life. Bunch o' drama queens worried about what another grown man does outside of work? Lmao. As long as he shows up to the ballpark and puts up decent numbers, what else shoukd any of us care about? You care what he eats for breakfast too?

Judging by every one of your posts that I've ever read, you are the type of Christian I DESPISE. I loathe. And this is coming from a Christian who struggles with his faith.Nothing you have ever said has been useful or even reflects what a Christian man should be. Complete oppositein fact.

Well then I guess it's a good thing that I couldn't care less what you think of me or your struggles with your faith huh? ;)

Ya'll getting butthurt cause some of us don't care about Hamilton and his boozing ways. Lmao. Not quite what either of our relivious preferences has to do with this anyway. Not like I'm condemning the man for drinking. I say more power to him!

This has nothing to do with Hamilton. It has everything to do with the way you respond to most subjects. Your posts are condescending and pedantic which doesn't bode well with the faith in which you claim to have.

You know those satirical movies they make that take jabs at Christians and their judgmental and bigoted ways? (think "Saved!")...that's YOU.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
It's confusing when shows like Jersey Shore and web sensations like Tourette's Guy more or less glorify alcoholism and it's effects on individuals and those around them.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Actually, Mickey went to the Betty Ford clinic and was very remorseful about his drinking for the last part of his life.

Scotty - love you too brother... :grouphug:

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Mozzie22 said:
I understand addiction perfectly. I have known numerous drug and alcohol addicts and understand the grip the drugs have on people but it doesn’t change the fact that all they have to do is simply stop taking them.

Sorry, that last statement you just made PROVES you DO NOT understand addiction one bit.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
G $MONEY$ said:
Mozzie22 said:
I understand addiction perfectly. I have known numerous drug and alcohol addicts and understand the grip the drugs have on people but it doesn’t change the fact that all they have to do is simply stop taking them.
Sorry, that last statement you just made PROVES you DO NOT understand addiction one bit.
His point, I think, like mine is that drugs and booze don't just fall out of the sky or come out of the tap in your kitchen.

You have to make the choice to go out of your way to acquire thses things.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
BunchOBull said:
He was here in Katy tonight speaking about his religious convictions and his relapse.

And the sad thing is people will still either pay their hard earned money or spend their precious time if it's free, listening to him speak.

I'm all for a great come back feel good story, but this guy has no business speaking to a public audience this soon after a relapse.

How can you really 'learn something' so soon?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
ChasHawk said:
G $MONEY$ said:
Mozzie22 said:
His point, I think, like mine is that drugs and booze don't just fall out of the sky or come out of the tap in your kitchen.

Not always, some people become drug addicts due to illness or injury and just by "following doctors orders".

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
G $MONEY$ said:
ChasHawk said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":tmk5r870]
Mozzie22 said:

Not always, some people become drug addicts due to illness or injury and just by "following doctors orders".[/quote:tmk5r870]

In some instances yes. You are correct. In this instance, Josh Hamilton made a choice. He didn't drink alcohol by accident. You can call this an addiction or a disease, but he made a CHOICE to do this yet again. That is why I have no sympathy for him. He know right and wrong. He's in the national spotlight. He knows he will have to pay for drinking. Yet he's still chose to do it on one or more occasions. Sooner or later, people have to take accountability for their own actions and stop blaming it on an addiction or disease. Josh Hamilton made choices, now he has to live with them.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Sam Banks said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2wtl1gga]
ChasHawk said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2wtl1gga]
Mozzie22 said:

Not always, some people become drug addicts due to illness or injury and just by "following doctors orders".[/quote:2wtl1gga]

In some instances yes. You are correct. In this instance, Josh Hamilton made a choice. He didn't drink alcohol by accident. You can call this an addiction or a disease, but he made a CHOICE to do this yet again. That is why I have no sympathy for him. He know right and wrong. He's in the national spotlight. He knows he will have to pay for drinking. Yet he's still chose to do it on one or more occasions. Sooner or later, people have to take accountability for their own actions and stop blaming it on an addiction or disease. Josh Hamilton made choices, now he has to live with them.[/quote:2wtl1gga]

i was just talking about drug addiction in general, were the topic kind of went, i obviously know that wasn't the case with JH.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
G $MONEY$ said:
ChasHawk said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":1txteslb]
Mozzie22 said:

Not always, some people become drug addicts due to illness or injury and just by "following doctors orders".[/quote:1txteslb]
But even in those cases, when their sciprt runs out they continue to get more pills in illicit ways.

I know a guy whose parents get him pills.

No sympathy for any of them.

That's Crucial

May 11, 2011
is it that hard to believe that the brain can be afflicted with a disease? do we not recognize either external or internal the validity of diseases affecting every other surface and/or organ of the body? why then could the brain not have a disease called alcoholism?

Members online

Latest posts