Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lee to Phils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I posted this in another thread:

I still can't believe the Phillies chose Lee over Halladay. Like Earl Weaver said "win now worry about the future later" and Halladay would've gotten them another WS title this year, possibly next. No doubt it my mind.

Halladay has been pitching in the AL East his WHOLE career. Who do you think the Phillies are going to face in the WS if they make it? Yankees? Red Sox? Rays? One of those three I guarantee it. EDIT: Even if they DON'T, you have to plan for it.

Who would you rather have pitching against the Red Sox, Yankees, or Rays in the World Series? Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee? Honestly, it looks like Hamels is getting hot at the right time. Hamels and Halladay are a guaranteed 3 wins in any series, IMO.

Amaro and many other Phillies fan's boner for Drabek (and apparently Dominic Brown...) have quite possibly cost them another World Series title...Who cares if Drabek turns out to be a future Cy Young winner - that's a HUGE IF too (you prospectors don't even realize that!)...They would've had Hamels and Halladay for two POSTSEASONS and a chance to win 3 consecutive World Series.

Ugh. I'm a Phillies fan too. Die hard O's fan, but I love the Phillies. I'm so disgusted they didn't pull the trigger on Doc.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You could say...that girl must REALLY love her hubby/boyfriend. Dumb video.

Jeff N. said:
[youtube:qlw02i5y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fOeBYjLoo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:qlw02i5y]

I'm not sure what to say here.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
markakis8 said:

I still can't believe the Phillies chose Lee over Halladay. Like Earl Weaver said "win now worry about the future later" and Halladay would've gotten them another WS title this year, possibly next. No doubt it my mind.

Halladay has been pitching in the AL East his WHOLE career. Who do you think the Phillies are going to face in the WS if they make it? Yankees? Red Sox? Rays? One of those three I guarantee it. EDIT: Even if they DON'T, you have to plan for it.

Who would you rather have pitching against the Red Sox, Yankees, or Rays in the World Series? Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee? Honestly, it looks like Hamels is getting hot at the right time. Hamels and Halladay are a guaranteed 3 wins in any series, IMO.

Amaro and many other Phillies fan's boner for Drabek (and apparently Dominic Brown...) have quite possibly cost them another World Series title...Who cares if Drabek turns out to be a future Cy Young winner - that's a HUGE IF too (you prospectors don't even realize that!)...They would've had Hamels and Halladay for two POSTSEASONS and a chance to win 3 consecutive World Series.

Ugh. I'm a Phillies fan too. Die hard O's fan, but I love the Phillies. I'm so disgusted they didn't pull the trigger on Doc.

I can't refute any of your points other than we got Lee for 3 guys we were never going to use and a single A pitcher. Now Knapp could become something but all signs point to Drabek and of course Happ has proven himself. Halladay's price tag was too high and here we are with Lee joining the staff, keeping Happ. Who took his second loss tonight but still pitched just fine IMO , 6 INN, 3 HA, 2 BBI, 5 K, 2 ER, 3.000 ERA, 0.833 WHIP

Lee+ Pedro in the rotation, and Myers joining the pen in late August----could be something special. AND we kept all of our better guys in the system. It's not out of line to say the Phillies had a good chance as it was, but here we are in better spot, whilst still preserving a future.

Amaro did a great job IMO.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Oh I think the Phillies did REALLY well on the Lee trade. I'm not arguing that. What they gave up for Lee was great!

But, they are basically saying "we would rather spend less to get Lee than more to get Doc" and here is my point: Of the four prospects in the Lee trade and the three rumored in the Doc trade - none of those seven are going to have an impact in the postseason. If you think Happ is going to dominate in the World Series, think again.

What's crazy to think is that the Phillies can STILL get Doc if they just pull the trigger.

Can you imagine Doc, Hamels, and Lee in the postseason? It won't happen though b/c they chose Lee over Doc.

Lancemountain said:
markakis8 said:

I can't refute any of your points other than we got Lee for 3 guys we were never going to use and a single A pitcher. Now Knapp could become something but all signs point to Drabek and of course Happ has proven himself. Halladay's price tag was too high and here we are with Lee joining the staff, keeping Happ. Who took his second loss tonight but still pitched just fine IMO , 6 INN, 3 HA, 2 BBI, 5 K, 2 ER, 3.000 ERA, 0.833 WHIP

Lee+ Pedro in the rotation, and Myers joining the pen in late August----could be something special. AND we kept all of our better guys in the system. It's not out of line to say the Phillies had a good chance as it was, but here we are in better spot, whilst still preserving a future.

Amaro did a great job IMO.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
markakis8 said:
Oh I think the Phillies did REALLY well on the Lee trade. I'm not arguing that. What they gave up for Lee was great!

But, they are basically saying "we would rather spend less to get Lee than more to get Doc" and here is my point: Of the four prospects in the Lee trade and the three rumored in the Doc trade - none of those seven are going to have an impact in the postseason. If you think Happ is going to dominate in the World Series, think again.

What's crazy to think is that the Phillies can STILL get Doc if they just pull the trigger.

Can you imagine Doc, Hamels, and Lee in the postseason? It won't happen though b/c they chose Lee of Doc.

True, I agree again, and as I don't think Happ will dominate in the WS I still didn't like trading the guy and Drabek. Halladay is money, but giving up brown and those two VS the four we gave up for lee and a righty bat is a no-brainer for me.

And I guess we could still get Doc now, as Happ is expendable with Lee here. Take Happ Brown and someone else or two not named Taylor or Drabek and we got a deal.

Halladay-Lee-Hamels-Blanton-Pedro :shock:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
markakis8 said:

Earl Weaver can make those quotes because his job is to manage and not to build an organization over time. Good teams keep their premium talent because its what allows them to replace high priced aging talent with premium lower priced talent and thus gives them the chance to sign big free agents when they have needs. The phillies made the right move for them today and going forward.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Yup, I understand that you and 90% of all the other Phillies fans out there believe this.

I'm just throwing this out there..what's the point of keeping your "future" if you don't win any World Series? If you keep thinking about your future 2-3 years down the road, you are never going to win that year. The Phillies clearly need a front line starter for the World Series to repeat. I don't see Lee helping them in that area. I see Lee helping them push through the NL postseason.

You can't say how good Dominic Brown, Kyle Drabek, or even JA Happ are going to be for sure. They haven't proven a single thing.

phillyfan0417 said:
Earl Weaver can make those quotes because his job is to manage and not to build an organization over time. Good teams keep their premium talent because its what allows them to replace high priced aging talent with premium lower priced talent and thus gives them the chance to sign big free agents when they have needs. The phillies made the right move for them today and going forward.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Yup, I understand that you and 90% of all the other Phillies fans out there believe this.

I'm just throwing this out there..what's the point of keeping your "future" if you don't win any World Series? If you keep thinking about your future 2-3 years down the road, you are never going to win that year. The Phillies clearly need a front line starter for the World Series to repeat. I don't see Lee helping them in that area. I see Lee helping them push through the NL postseason.

You can't say how good Dominic Brown, Kyle Drabek, or even JA Happ are going to be for sure. They haven't proven a single thing.

phillyfan0417 said:

Well, we did win a World Series and honestly we're as good as any other team out there right now. I'll take a playoff rotation of Hamels, Lee and Blanton with our offense any day of the week.

CLiff Lee was pitching for a bad team and it showed in his record.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I guess I'm just frustrated b/c I feel like the Phillies have a really good chance at being a dynasty of the early part of this millennium. They are acting like Brown, Drabek, and Happ are sure thing prospects like Griffey, Lincecum, and Alex Rodriguez. If they were, they'd be playing in Philly right now.

phillyfan0417 said:
Well, we did win a World Series and honestly we're as good as any other team out there right now. I'll take a playoff rotation of Hamels, Lee and Blanton with our offense any day of the week.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
I guess I'm just frustrated b/c I feel like the Phillies have a really good chance at being a dynasty of the early part of this millennium. They are acting like Brown, Drabek, and Happ are sure thing prospects like Griffey, Lincecum, and Alex Rodriguez. If they were, they'd be playing in Philly right now.

phillyfan0417 said:

No they wouldnt, they arent ready for the majors but all three are elite prospects. Giving away your entire farm is not a wise idea.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
we'll agree to disagree. and i honesty hope im wrong. i love the phils.

phillyfan0417 said:
markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

No they wouldnt, they arent ready for the majors but all three are elite prospects. Giving away your entire farm is not a wise idea.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
The Phillies believe they are working towards being a "dynasty" as any team should be striving to do. For them, and I concur, the goal is to keep the future in tact while improving now. They made a move to "win now" and kept what they believe will help them "win in the future". The Lee deal was a "dynasty" move.

markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
The Phillies believe they are working towards being a "dynasty" as any team should be striving to do. For them, and I concur, the goal is to keep the future in tact while improving now. They made a move to "win now" and kept what they believe will help them "win in the future". The Lee deal was a "dynasty" move.

markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Also note, Lee will be a Free Agent after next season which would coincide with the time Drabek is ready to grab a spot in the rotation. So if everything goes well, you fit Drabek in the rotation and take the 2 #1's you would get for Lee. Kind of why teams would be ok sending 4 players for 2, you get a chance to recoup a couple of draft picks down the road.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
phillyfan0417 said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Also note, Lee will be a Free Agent after next season which would coincide with the time Drabek is ready to grab a spot in the rotation. So if everything goes well, you fit Drabek in the rotation and take the 2 #1's you would get for Lee. Kind of why teams would be ok sending 4 players for 2, you get a chance to recoup a couple of draft picks down the road.

Great point on the draft picks, but I could see the Phils resigning Lee as well. No harm in having Lee, Hamels, Blanton, Happ, and Drabek in 2011. (assuming Blanton resigns as well).

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Calling those three prospects "elite" is unbelievably delusional. Good yes, elite absolutely not.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
phillyfan0417 said:
markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Calling those three prospects "elite" is unbelievably delusional. Good yes, elite absolutely not.

Unless I'm mistaken, all three are now in BA's mid season top 25 prospects. Whats your definition of elite?

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Jeff N. said:
[youtube:peqkshe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fOeBYjLoo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:peqkshe8]

I'm not sure what to say here.

There are three scenarios here and I will list them all with pride.

1. This chick is really lonely.
2. She is bottom of the barrel status.
3. If you were to even think about having sex with her, you would need to wear a bag just in case her's falls off.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
pujolsjunkie said:
phillyfan0417 said:
markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Drabek is 7-1 now, Brown is a near .300 hitter, and Happ is a monster right now at the MLB level. They are elite. Enough said.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jbone17 said:
pujolsjunkie said:
phillyfan0417 said:
markakis8 said:

phillyfan0417 said:

Drabek is 7-1 now, Brown is a near .300 hitter, and Happ is a monster right now at the MLB level. They are elite. Enough said.

Not Happ, I'm talking Taylor, Brown and Drabek.

Members online

Latest posts