Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's see your August Additions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple of big '90s pickups for me:

082321-1.jpg082321-2.jpg
The 1995 Collector's Choice SE Gold Henderson completes the team set. And I was absolutely thrilled to finally find a 1999 Topps Chrome Fortune 15 Refractor Eric Chavez, 068/100. These things just never pop up, I still need the Ben Grieve.

082321-3.jpg
And the rest...I already had the Dilfer auto but this one is 12/35, his jersey number in college and Tampa Bay. The Topps Now card would be the first Yan Gomes A's card. And a couple of mid-'00s inserts I needed.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This probably won't rank as a big pick-up for most, but it fits the collection I'm working on at the moment. Have a bunch more of his cards coming in the next weeks. Still looking for more!
We all collect different things and frankly, I get kind of tired looking at obscenely high priced new cards (and even vintage) that cost as much as a car, house or local business franchise! The fun in collecting that I have enjoyed for so many years has slowly leaked out of the hobby for me and I am nearly at the point where i just don't care. I'm not quite there, because an obscure pick up still thrills me to no end. However, those are few and far between, and often costs too much to make it all that exciting beyond the initial feeling of the purchase.

One of my favorite low end collections was a guy who collected Jon Matlack. He only had about 100 cards and the guy only needed a couple, but they were very obscure. Still, seeing someone get so excited over scoring a "common" card is better than watching 200 guys posting their latest Trout, Soto, Guerrero, "INSERT NAME OF NEXT BIG PROSPECT EVERYONE IS STAINING THEIR CARGO SHORTS FOR HERE", etc. The show off threads are usually the same too. Watch me show a bigger, better, scarcer, more expensive card than the guy before me and then watch the next guy outdo him and so on.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I keep slowly chipping away at this set. I got a great price on this one and I have two more coming in this week. I'm back over the halfway mark but new variations keep popping up so who knows. I just assume every player in the set signed in black and blue at this point, even if I haven't seen one or the other.

1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Don Mattingly
Don Mattingly.jpg

I just can't really get into Ginter this year and I really don't have any motivation to go back and try to finish my existing master runs. Maybe it's time to move on from it or narrow my focus. I'll always add Cardinals RCs though.

2021 Allen and Ginter Dylan Carlson base and mini RCs
Carlson Ginter Lot.jpg

More 90s set fillers - Love the 1994 Select Rookie Surge especially
90s Lot 3.jpg

Topps New Breed set starter lot
New Breed Starter Lot.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Back over halfway to the end of the master checklist (at least for cards I confirm to exist)

1998 Donruss Signatures Significant Signatures Al Kaline Black Ink version
Al Kaline Black.jpg

Some highlights from a Cardinals lot I bought
Cardinals lot.jpg
Cardinals lot 2.jpg

I especially like the 2010 X-Fractors and the Waino SP. The Lankford Bronze Refractor is pretty nice too. What an underrated player he was.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Just one today:

082521.jpg
2001 Donruss 1999 Retro Season Stat Line Mark Mulder 070/113. Deceptively difficult to find for a /113 card, I have a pretty decent Mulder collection but didn't track this one down until now. This completes the 4-card 1999 Retro Season Stat Line team set...I still need one 2000 Retro Season Stat Line and several from the regular 2001 Donruss set, but all of those are /33 or less so it'll be a while before I find them all.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
We all collect different things and frankly, I get kind of tired looking at obscenely high priced new cards (and even vintage) that cost as much as a car, house or local business franchise! The fun in collecting that I have enjoyed for so many years has slowly leaked out of the hobby for me and I am nearly at the point where i just don't care. I'm not quite there, because an obscure pick up still thrills me to no end. However, those are few and far between, and often costs too much to make it all that exciting beyond the initial feeling of the purchase.

One of my favorite low end collections was a guy who collected Jon Matlack. He only had about 100 cards and the guy only needed a couple, but they were very obscure. Still, seeing someone get so excited over scoring a "common" card is better than watching 200 guys posting their latest Trout, Soto, Guerrero, "INSERT NAME OF NEXT BIG PROSPECT EVERYONE IS STAINING THEIR CARGO SHORTS FOR HERE", etc. The show off threads are usually the same too. Watch me show a bigger, better, scarcer, more expensive card than the guy before me and then watch the next guy outdo him and so on.
So you feel everyone here is trying to "one up" each other when they post up there August scores? I never once thought that when viewing this thread and I still don't. Why do you feel that way, because the cards are more expensive then they were before covid?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
So you feel everyone here is trying to "one up" each other when they post up there August scores? I never once thought that when viewing this thread and I still don't. Why do you feel that way, because the cards are more expensive then they were before covid?
I don't think he's talking about these monthly threads. Most of us are collecting the kind of "Jon Matlack" collections he enjoys seeing. He's talking about people 1 upping with the latest greatest Ronald Acuna in 47 different colors that I think everyone is bored of at this point.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I haven't posted from this set before, but speaking of oddballs.... a couple of recent finds from a smaller set. Quite happy to land the Rivera, haven't seen too many over the years.

I feel the last three I need are somewhere in common boxes, they haven't been worth listing for most dealers. (I do have dupes of Wells and Jeter to swap, in case someone else is working on these lol.)

1998 Yankee Stadium 75th Anniversary #4 Joe Girardi

Joe-Girardi.jpgJoe-Girardi (1).jpg

1998 Yankee Stadium 75th Anniversary #10 Mariano Rivera

Mariano-Rivera (1).jpgMariano-Rivera.jpg

Beckett mislabels this as Yankees 75th Anniversary, it was the anniversary of the Stadium, not the team. I've been working on this for a few years. Not super rare or numbered but has been an enjoyable hunt for me. Only 12 cards, inserted 2 per month, into programs during the 1998 season. The Yankees Magazine with subscription labels sent through the mail or in newsstands didn't have these, only ones bought at home games.

il_1140xN.3027986436_j623.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Checklist

Listed by issue of release. Cards were not numbered on back, I am using Beckett's alphabetical numbering system.

Volume 1 -- Murderer's Row Cover
#5 Hideki Irabu -- NEED
#6 Chuck Knoblauch -- NEED

Volume 2 --
Derek Jeter Cover
#1 David Cone -- eBay 2019
#12 Bernie Williams -- eBay 2021

Volume 3 -- David Wells Cover
#11 David Wells -- SportLots 2017
#2 Derek Jeter -- eBay 2018, 2017

Volume 4 -- Darryl Strawberry Cover
#7 Tino Martinez -- NEED
#10 Mariano Rivera -- COMC 2021

Volume 5 -- Chad Curtis Cover
#4 Joe Girardi -- COMC 2021
#9 Andy Pettitte -- eBay 2017

Volume 6 -- Jeter/Knoblauch Cover
#3 Chili Davis -- Dime Box 2018
#8 Paul O'Neill -- eBay 2010

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This.

One of my favorite low end collections was a guy who collected Jon Matlack. He only had about 100 cards and the guy only needed a couple, but they were very obscure. Still, seeing someone get so excited over scoring a "common" card is better than watching 200 guys posting their latest Trout, Soto, Guerrero, "INSERT NAME OF NEXT BIG PROSPECT EVERYONE IS STAINING THEIR CARGO SHORTS FOR HERE", etc.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Wiz is correct, I don't see it anywhere close to that strongly here, but on some of the other boards, it's pretty blatant. We all have to collect within our budgets, but watching guys post up unlimited 4-5 figure cards just seems boorish. I enjoy the share threads in most cases.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Just three cards in the mail today :(

Catfish Hunter Black.jpg
1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures Jim "Catfish" Hunter Black Ink version - Another one off the checklist. 15 cards to go, at least until I find another variation lol.

2005 Studio DK White B&W.jpg 2005 Studio DK White B&W Backj.jpg
2005 Studio Portraits DK White Black and White - I don't usually collect post career issues for Ozzie but I just really like this one. I didn't even realize it was #/30 until I got it in the mail. I might actually try to acquire the other variations of this one.

1997 SPx Steel Sammy Sosa.jpg

I love the 1997 SPx set so when I see them cheap I pick them up. Maybe one of these days I'll actually take inventory and work on a set so I can find out how many doubles I have.

Ginter Boxloader Lot 1.jpg
Ginter Boxloader Lot 2.jpg

2021 Allen & Ginter World's Largest Boxloaders - I finally found something A&G this year that I really like.

Attachments

• 1997 SPx Steel Sammy Sosa.jpg
    1997 SPx Steel Sammy Sosa.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
View attachment 311542 View attachment 311543
2005 Studio Portraits DK White Black and White - I don't usually collect post career issues for Ozzie but I just really like this one. I didn't even realize it was #/30 until I got it in the mail. I might actually try to acquire the other variations of this one.
Just in case you didn't realize, the 2005 Studio Portraits set is a bugger. There are 56 different versions of a player. I finished the run, but it was brutal. I think there is a thread just for this set on here. If not here, there is definitely one on another site I have contributed to. Some numbered as low as /5 (at least in my case). I don't think any were greater than around /75 or /85. In 2005, I'd say go for it! In 2021, especially if this is just card #1 for you, I say "Do you like to be tortured?"

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Wiz is correct, I don't see it anywhere close to that strongly here, but on some of the other boards, it's pretty blatant. We all have to collect within our budgets, but watching guys post up unlimited 4-5 figure cards just seems boorish. I enjoy the share threads in most cases.

Yeah I don't really see it much on here but it's all over Blowout (which is why I hardly ever look at it anymore) and a couple of guys in Facebook groups I'm in.....dudes that seem like they are more interested in collecting attention than they are in collecting cards.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Just in case you didn't realize, the 2005 Studio Portraits set is a bugger. There are 56 different versions of a player. I finished the run, but it was brutal. I think there is a thread just for this set on here. If not here, there is definitely one on another site I have contributed to. Some numbered as low as /5 (at least in my case). I don't think any were greater than around /75 or /85. In 2005, I'd say go for it! In 2021, especially if this is just card #1 for you, I say "Do you like to be tortured?"

I don't have any allusions of chasing the whole run. I may pick up a few more of them here and there though.

Only one lonely card in the mail today :(

2019 Topps Update Gold PSA 10.jpg
I'm not really collecting graded cards for Helsley but when I can grab a PSA10 parallel for less than the cost of 2019 bulk subs I'm good with it.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Definitely a mixed bag today.

2011 Topps Gold Adam Wainwright.jpg
While looking for Waino SPs and SSPs I ran across this 2011 Topps Gold and now I have another rainbow to chase. I'm a sucker for cards with throwback unis. Luckily Waino isn't very expensive.

Warren Spahn.jpg
Neat addition to my Oklahoma Hall of Famers auto collection. Can't pass up a JSA certified auto for $8, much less one of the best lefty ever.

1985 Donruss Kirby Puckett SGC 9.jpg 2018 TCU Juan Soto SGC 8.jpg

I don't normally grab too many slabs but I paid basically the cost of a raw Soto for these two so it was a no brainer.

Members online