Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Life long dream coming true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Thats awesome man I hope you do well. I agree you should move the snacks and cooler closer to the register and add a supply section. Everyone will need supplies and you get a good markup on them. Overall its a nice layout and I wish you the best.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Ok, so the tables won't be JUST Gaming. They will also have cards on them that will be moved during tournaments. I had a couch in there, but took it out in favor of another table.

Many things aren't shown on the design... supplies, baskets of $1 cards, stuff like that. There will be a hanging basket for stuff.

So you think some wax out in the open to look at?

Also the "School Bag" bin is for kids to put their bags when they come in the store.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Comics (to begin with) won't be a huge part. I will probably have about 5000 back issues and about a dozen new titles.

I don't personally follow comic books, but I think they will be a big seller/attention drawer.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
tonsofcommons said:
Ok, so the tables won't be JUST Gaming. They will also have cards on them that will be moved during tournaments. I had a couch in there, but took it out in favor of another table.

Many things aren't shown on the design... supplies, baskets of $1 cards, stuff like that. There will be a hanging basket for stuff.

Also the "School Bag" bin is for kids to put their bags when they come in the store.
I love the idea of making the place kid friendly.They will be the future of your business.McFarlanes and framed autographed photos are great sellers during Christmas and Father's Day.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
Comics (to begin with) won't be a huge part. I will probably have about 5000 back issues and about a dozen new titles.

I don't personally follow comic books, but I think they will be a big seller/attention drawer.

I'd say as a comic fan, if you aren't going all out on them and focusing on them they won't really draw people in if it is half way.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
beefycheddar said:
tonsofcommons said:

I'd say as a comic fan, if you aren't going all out on them and focusing on them they won't really draw people in if it is half way.

Ok, so what would you do?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
beefycheddar said:
tonsofcommons said:

Ok, so what would you do?

Either devote a bigger area or don't have them and give cards more room.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:

It really might be just me, but I'm more enticed to break wax when I can see the box up close.

G

Dpanthers14 said:
I agree with others Eddie about the snack counter, Its like convenient store having stuff close to the regester for impulse last buys if that makes any sense. Good luck Eddie!
Shinders here has a box of Score always sitting by the counter. Lots of $1.25 packs selling as impulse buys.

Nathan

Mar 15, 2011
Best of luck with the store. I really hope you inspire more people to do this, it's so great for the hobby.

Looking forward to the pictures.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
tonsofcommons said:

I just picked up 15000 premium comics dating back to late 80's all popular titles for $400 like .03 each. been selling them well for 2 for $1. and may have a retail store buying 10,000 of them at .48 each. they do attract good attention i was surprised. I sell at the local swap meet. good luck to you

I also make my own packs with my commons, I throw in some vintage, game used and even an auto here and there, put some stars on the outside of the team bags & they sell all day long for $1 each. time consuming though

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
A lot better that the chicken scratch you posted on FB the other day ;) Congrats!! Eddie best of luck on your endeavor :cool: I don't see a jealous smiley :mrgreen:
tonsofcommons said:
Here is a diagram of the shop that I hope to opening in the next couple months

Floorplan.jpg

HELLS YEAH!

Comments welcome

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I think you are smart integrating the store. I would defiantly move the snacks and drink towards the front.

Caveat: I know nothing about comics or their distribution, but I have friends that go to the local comic shop every Wed like clockwork to buy comics. That could be a good revenue source for you. Card and comic store would work in any market.

Good luck!

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
In the store I used to work in, we had a stand up glass display case (almost like a curio) that was for memorabilia-bats, balls, helmets, jerseys, 8x10's, etc. It always did pretty well, especially around Christmastime.

Also, apparel did pretty well. You can usually find some good lots with good assortments of hats/t-shirts on Ebay for pretty reasonable. Even if you carried MLB hats, that might do quite well if you can buy them cheap in lots and sell them at a good price.

Just a thought.