Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Life long dream coming true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Eddie, I agree with Beefy. While not a comic guy I did observe my old LCS and their comics. Many regulars soak up the new releases and had their own bids to hold the new stash. I would definitely give more space for comics (see Big Bang Theory).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Looks great Eddie!

A suggestion with apparel, should you go that route (and this isn't groundbreaking info) - test the waters with local teams. Iowa, I assume Chicago teams are popular as they are directly to the east. Of course, then you have the Twins and Brewers north of you...the Tigers are farther away in the northeast...hmmm...then the Cardinals and Royals south of you....

Good luck with that! ;)

Seriously though, I wish you all the best, Munster.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Good luck with your store. Nice to see another one is starting up. Hear too often about stores closing and not enough about them opening

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Eddie-

Not sure what the gambling/games of chance laws are where you are but I have found that this game brings in a lot of $$ and you are able to get rid of crap at the same time.
Basically, you draw a grid on a poster board with 6 rows of 6 squares in each row and 6 columns of 6 squares in each column. In each square you place a card. In the harder to get combinations (1-1 and 6-6) you place a higher value card. Maybe you fill the rest with higher valued commons and inserts and some g/u. Then you have a 2 different colored die. Each roll will cost you a $1.00 and you are guaranteed to win a card with a BV of at least (insert what you want here) with the chance of landing something of higher value. The kids love this game and they win something with every roll!

Just a thought.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
All I know is when you open you better post pictures for us!

Good luck!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Lots of good stuff guys. THANK YOU!

At this time, I'm not going to offer apparel (except Tyler Sash jerseys).

I'm hearing you guys on the comic books and snack stuff. Here is a possibility:

FloorplanRevision1.jpg

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
New comics and trade paperbacks are a must. You already have gaming and comics are the same clientele. Set up a diamond account, it should take about a month to get comics in store and about a $700 investment.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
ballerskrip said:
Eddie, good luck man! Where in Iowa are you at?

skrip

Good ol' Oskaloosa
StateofIA.gif

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Eddie,

where are you planning to open? in a strip mall or your own independant building? any kind of traffic study type information available to you for the intended location?

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
matchpenalty said:
Be ready for everybody and their brother bringing in crap cards and thinking some creased up card from 50's is worth thousands.
And junk cards from the late 80's-early 90's thinking they're worth hundreds.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
1st4040 said:
Eddie,

where are you planning to open? in a strip mall or your own independant building? any kind of traffic study type information available to you for the intended location?

It is an independent building that will have some other businesses inside.

It is right on the main road of the town with most of the food establishments of the town within 5 blocks. So lots of traffic.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
mstng99tim said:
matchpenalty said:
Be ready for everybody and their brother bringing in crap cards and thinking some creased up card from 50's is worth thousands.

That notwithstanding, make sure you have funds set aside for when a legit collection comes in that you do want to purchase :)

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
MojoDan said:
mstng99tim said:
matchpenalty said:

That notwithstanding, make sure you have funds set aside for when a legit collection comes in that you do want to purchase :)
Without question! The owner of my LCS is a friend of mine. He buys collections all the time and flips them on ebay. The most recent one was an almost complete set of the patch autos from SPA Hockey, he made over 1k just in profit from them.

Members online