Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Louisville Slugger Panels from the 1950s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That guy is well known for cutting up media into "collectible cards". It is almost certainly a small section of a book, magazine or catalog.

Aside from someone who wants it all, these are essentially no different that photos cut out for scrapbooks and are "worth" only what someone is willing to pay. I consider myself one of those player collectors who will want it all, but I draw the line at paying for pieces of a magazine unless it is something spectacular or meant to be cut out and saved. I would add any photo to my collection, but prefer them to be in tact within the original source too. I might pay a few bucks for a larger lot of these mag and book photos, but nothing close to what this guy charges singularly for most of his stuff.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have the patience for this, but I have to give props to sellers like this. He borders on deceptive in my opinion, but if he simply sold items as to what they actually were and people are willing to pay good money for them, good for him. The custom card makers are starting to saturate the eBay market as well. We have numerous sellers pumping out low quality "custom" cards that are essentially unlicensed broders and probably violate some sort of trademark, copyright or both (player images, major card maker designs, team logos and names, etc) and they are making CASH on these!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't have the patience for this, but I have to give props to sellers like this. He borders on deceptive in my opinion, but if he simply sold items as to what they actually were and people are willing to pay good money for them, good for him. The custom card makers are starting to saturate the eBay market as well. We have numerous sellers pumping out low quality "custom" cards that are essentially unlicensed broders and probably violate some sort of trademark, copyright or both (player images, major card maker designs, team logos and names, etc) and they are making CASH on these!

I assumed they were cutouts of some sort of Louisville Slugger brochures/product tags/something but I just hadn't seen them before. Guess I'll go searching for the complete panels instead. I too prefer to have the whole magazine, brochure, whatever rather than a small panel cut out of it.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013

I'd have to say he absolutely is deceptive. He knows what these are but he's trying to trick people into thinking they're something else. Guy's just another scumbag IMO. The hobby would be much better off without him and his ilk in it.

Scott F

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I recognize the seller from previous listings, but only read the linked one. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of this line, which should tell buyers what they are getting. I agree that he knows what he is selling and leaves out details to make the items appear more unique or hard to find.

"This is a rare panel from a Lousiville Slugger Publication"

There are several like him, some even more deceptive. In the end, I will agree that we'd be better off without him selling though.

I'd have to say he absolutely is deceptive. He knows what these are but he's trying to trick people into thinking they're something else. Guy's just another scumbag IMO. The hobby would be much better off without him and his ilk in it.

Scott F

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I recognize the seller from previous listings, but only read the linked one. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of this line, which should tell buyers what they are getting. I agree that he knows what he is selling and leaves out details to make the items appear more unique or hard to find.

"This is a rare panel from a Lousiville Slugger Publication"

There are several like him, some even more deceptive. In the end, I will agree that we'd be better off without him selling though.

There sure are a lot more like him. What amazes me about people like this is that many of them seem to have some kind of mental issue where they have to be scamming someone to make money. If they spent half that time time doing things legitimately they'd make a lot more money. I see this every day in my business, so many of my competitors have to run some kind of scam. They make a few quick bucks and then disappear. Meanwhile I just do things honestly and I've been in business now for almost 10 years. Making more money than I ever thought I would.

Scott F

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm guessing they're cutouts from the Slugger Yearbooks that Louisville put out. I'm going to try to track one down for 1952 and see.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
If this is what he is selling, I'm having a hard time understanding "mental issue", "scamming someone" and "scumbag". Did you ever contact seller and ask questions???
I agree with you [MENTION=3327]flarick[/MENTION]

Dude has over 20k in feedback and has a boat load of items listed. So obliviously there seems to be a market for the stuff. I don't get the comments either of Scamming someone and is a scumbag either. Kudos to him for selling something it appears someone buys it and he's making money too.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
If this is what he is selling, I'm having a hard time understanding "mental issue", "scamming someone" and "scumbag". Did you ever contact seller and ask questions???

I never used any of those terms and wouldn't. If I felt that he was being maliciously deceitful I just wouldn't buy anything from him. All he is selling is cutouts of the individual player photos from the publication in the picture that [MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] posted. The terms used to describe the items are very vague and some would say they are worded in a way to make the item seem more than it is. I don't feel that way but I do think he needs to be more clear about what he is selling. I'll give just about anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe English isn't his first language or something but he should make that clear in a message reply.

I did message the seller and got a rather tersely worded message back that I should check the description if I wanted to know what it was which was little to no help. At that point I came here to see if anyone else know what it was.
Once the pic of the complete item was posted I decided I wasn't going to purchase what he was selling because I'd rather have the complete item, not because I think there is anything wrong with selling the items he is selling.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I never used any of those terms and wouldn't. If I felt that he was being maliciously deceitful I just wouldn't buy anything from him. All he is selling is cutouts of the individual player photos from the publication in the picture that [MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] posted. The terms used to describe the items are very vague and some would say they are worded in a way to make the item seem more than it is. I don't feel that way but I do think he needs to be more clear about what he is selling. I'll give just about anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe English isn't his first language or something but he should make that clear in a message reply.

I did message the seller and got a rather tersely worded message back that I should check the description if I wanted to know what it was which was little to no help. At that point I came here to see if anyone else know what it was.
Once the pic of the complete item was posted I decided I wasn't going to purchase what he was selling because I'd rather have the complete item, not because I think there is anything wrong with selling the items he is selling.

Looks like they quoted you, but those terms were used by other people in the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida

My apologies as my message was not directed at you. We all know who used those terms. I, too, contacted the seller and here's part of their response. "I would never try to cheat anyone and I am 100% money back guaranteed on all items. The item description on this item states that this is made of paper and from a Louisville Slugger Baseball Publication. If someone wants to know the exact publication I would let them know.

These panels came in square panels and I contacted ebay and they said the word "Panel" could be used for a square piece of paper cut out as long as it had four straight sides. I deal with many items from publications and found a market for these items years ago. I sell items to many family members and fans of these players or teams that do not know they exist. I would agree I have a unique market and may slightly "dress up" my items but any good marketing person would do the same. My marketing and dressing up is not illegal and I am listing everything correct through the copyrights and publisher and not stating they are cards. They are cutout paper panels and people see this. I have had people hate on me for years giving me death threats and calling me a book burner. Scrapbooking is not illegal and history can be preserved in many ways. I have people writing me thank you letters all the time of how they have a piece of memorabilia that they never had of their father, grand father, uncle, etc. I am an honest person and it hurts to see people bashing me and my business model."

Members online

Latest posts