Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

March 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I'm not sure whether this will mean much to others, but for me this is a really, really big deal.

Throughout WWII, there were baseball games (and really a baseball league) played on the military bases in places such as Norfolk, VA. There were similar games and tournaments in the Pacific as a way to entertain the troops. In Europe, this was not really possible during the war.

The war ending did not mean that all the soldiers left immediately as there was a ton of work to do (some stayed for a year after). Once the war ended though, a baseball tournament was held. The World Series was held in Nuremberg, Germany, with Hilter's complex visible in the background.

The series was notable for another reason in that one of the teams was integrated and featured future HOF's and ***** League stars Leon Day and Willard Brown.

This is a program from that series in Nuremberg.

I don't know how many copies exist, but since I started collecting WWII baseball items, I have only seen one other. Presumably, it came back with a soldier returning from the war.

It's the kind of program that is far outside of what most people collect. But for me, it's a centerpiece of my collection
Whoa...that is very cool! Awesome to see pieces of history like that surface...especially considering it's likely not something a soldier would have kept when packing up to go home.

I do wonder what "advance poop" is... :oops:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Today's mail didn't have any 90s goodness in it. I'm not too upset about it though. Lots of Cardinals stuff came in today along with some spec plays on underappreciated RCs. The Camo Reyes isn't the Cardinals pitcher RC camo I need (Helsley) but any time you can snag the Camo of a former #1 MLB Prospect who still has a pulse for $3 it's a good day. I think the Topps Holiday and Archives sets are very underappreciated based on print run so I snag them cheap whenever I can. The Topps Mini is the same. 2020 had a print run on the base of approximately 241 per card.

Rolen Ginter Relic.jpg ONeill Orange Refractor BC.jpg 2020 BC Jordan Walker.jpg

Reyes RC Camo.jpg 2015 Ginter Relic Matt Holliday.jpg

2019 Archives Tatis Jr RC.jpg 2020 Topps Holiday Kyle Lewis RC.jpg 2020 Topps Holiday Randy Arozarena RC.jpg

2020 Topps Mini Zac Gallen RC.jpg 2020 Topps Chrome Pink Refractor Zac Gallen RC.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Monday:

030821.jpg
A couple of '90s McGwire inserts I didn't have, a nice Tejada bat card/200, a 2004 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor I didn't have yet, a Laureano Rainbow RC, and a couple of 2021 relic cards. I noticed they snuck "player worn" material into the regular GU cards in 2021 Topps though it seems like the retired players and the more limited cards of active players are "game used." I would imagine it would have been pretty tough to get 2020 jerseys with the abbreviated season so I understand why, but I hope the trend doesn't continue.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple for Wednesday:

031021.jpg
Don't have many 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversaries/50 so not a bad pickup. I was outbid on a couple of others, the '90s insert market continues to be hot. Matt Olson finishes off the three GU/99 2021 Topps Postseason Performance A's cards and I'm now at 6 of 7 total A's 2021 Postseason Performance: still missing the Marcus Semien auto/GU/30.

Speaking of the above 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary...I don't have any A's Golden Anniversary Refractor cards, the set that was the genesis of Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors. I do have a non-A's one in my Ted Lilly collection, though:

lilly98bcgoldref.jpg lilly98bcgoldrefb.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Cool Kushida autograph!

Big shipment today:

031121-1.jpg
The McGwire Wrecking Crew from 1996 Topps Chrome was the second to last "regular" single-player A's Refractor I needed from the '90s ("regular" not counting Atomic or Finest Embossed Refractors). The final one I need is a 1998 Topps Chrome Canseco, I haven't seen one in quite a while so I assume if one popped up it'd go for a ton. The Grieve Black Diamond Final Cut 065/100 puts me one away from the team set. Tejada and Colome put me 4 away from the 1999 Bowman Gold/99 team set. Grieve completes 1999 Gallery PPI/250. I'm nowhere close on 1999 Topps MVP Promotion but it's always cool to pick one up.

031121-2.jpg
Still a long way to go on 2000 Bowman Gold/99, but the biggest cards I need are Mark Mulder and a Miguel Olivo RC so they shouldn't be too expensive when they pop up. Chad Harville puts me 3 away for 2000 UD Exclusives/100 and Tejada makes it 2 more for 2002 Leaf Blue Press Proofs. The Grieve 2000 Gallery PPI/250 and Pena 2002 Studio Proofs/100 complete both team sets.

031121-3.jpg
The Mulder 2002 Fleer Maximum TO THE MAX and Tejada 2003 Patchworks Star Ruby/100 complete both team sets. I'm getting closer on 2002 UD 40 Man Electric Rainbow but still have 10 to go. Still missing a couple different David Justice cards from the set, I assume those are the ones I'll have the most competition for as the remainder are Carlos Pena, a Zito subset card, and 6 absolute dirt commons.

031121-4.jpg
Mulder completes the 2003 Finest "Uncirculated" Gold X-Fractor/199 team set, though obviously at least one card has been "circulated." T. Long and Ramon put me 6 away from the 2003 Topps Chrome Uncirculated X-Fractor set, which are numbered /50 or /57 depending on the series. I'm down to 5 left for 2004 Topps Chrome Red X-Fractors. I love the 2001 Absolute Ball Hoggs cards and for some reason I did not yet have a Tejada. The Fingers Ultimate auto was just a nice auction pickup, not a specific need.

031121-5.jpg
Still need 3 for 2004 Topps Chrome Black Refractors but the patriotic Mark Ellis puts me only one away for the 2005 set - missing Nick Swisher. Billy Burns puts me 4 away for 2015 Topps base & update Black, the biggest one I'm missing is a Mark Canha RC. The A's team card puts me two away for 2016: a Sonny Gray multi-player league leaders card and the Sean Manaea RC. People want crazy money for any recent Topps Black RCs so it may be a while on Canha and Manaea. The Mike Minor Independence Day card is my first A's parallel from 2021 I believe. It's going to be tough getting the 2021 numbered stuff since they ramped up production and there's a lot more buying competition out there.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Some mail from yesterday:

031421.jpg
The '89 Bowman-looking Eck is from a set that was inserted across Bowman brands in 2014 and is weirdly super tough to find, I'd been hunting it for 6+ years and they just never show up. 2005 Topps Pristine Gold Die Cut Refractors are one of my favorite Refractor sets of all time - the 38/65 Eckersley above puts me one away from the team set. Still need 3 for 2001 Leaf Rookies and Stars Longevity, the veterans like Giambi are /50 and RCs are /25. I do go after some post-A's Walt Weiss stuff so the 1999 UD Exclusives 090/100 was a good pickup for a couple bucks. Also it's in unusually nice condition for that set, it seems like most 1999 UD Exclusives I have are way off-center and/or have top/bottom edge issues.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Got these in yesterday:

031521.jpg
Probably overpaid slightly on the Rickey Artist's Proof ($30) but his '90s parallels ain't gettin' any cheaper. The Weiss/Tulo auto was a good way to sneak another non-A's star autograph into my A's collection. I believe the Dye gives me all 5 of the 2004 Leaf Certified Mirror Red A's Autographs that weren't SPed to 25 or less. The Healy Topps Chrome Blue Refractor auto RC was just a good auction deal. Grieve completes the 9-card 2001 Fleer Premium Star Rubies/125 team set. I know it says Devil Rays on the card but the picture has him with the A's so I consider it part of the team set.

Members online