Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mayor: Las Vegas Getting American League Team

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Many have said that this is just a ploy to get a stadium built for an NBA team which hasnt gathered much interest in Las Vegas. Tampa and Oakland however can use this to their benefit.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
The A's rumor has been out there for awhile, but maybe the Mayor knows something we don't.

As an out-of-town A's fan, I would love to see them go somewhere they'd be more appreciated and have a better shot at a reasonable payroll.

BTW, it's not gonna happen, but there is a movement around here to get the A's back to Philly. No chance.

http://www.philly.com/community/pa/phil ... hilly.html

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
MAC16 said:
like this idea. Oakland gets no support up there and they have crap for a stadium.. if they can get a domed or at least retractable roof park in vegas why not? Vegas would support them since there is nothing to do there unless you are 21. the best thing you can do as a family is go see a movie.
And a domed stadium would be the only way that a team could make it here. I know I don't go to as many games as I would like to due to the heat. I work out in it all day so why would I want to spend my free time out in it? Pretty sure I'm not alone in this line of thinking.

yanxchick

Dec 5, 2009
Perhaps I should get my resume and clips together and send it to the Las Vegas paper. Pre-emptive attack in case they do get a major league team.

-Sooz

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Don't think so. For one there would be now day/afternoon games since its so freakin' hot. Wouldn't it also be an extreme hitters park? The LV 51's games have been ultra-high scoring most of the year.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I'd rule out the Rays as it took them forever and a day to get a franchise in Tampa. Seems longer, but it was only 15 years ago that they got the ok to start working on a franchise and only 12 since they officially started it.

Having said that, I still wouldn't double-down on th A's.

MAC16

Jul 29, 2009
Rickzcards said:
MAC16 said:
like this idea. Oakland gets no support up there and they have crap for a stadium.. if they can get a domed or at least retractable roof park in vegas why not? Vegas would support them since there is nothing to do there unless you are 21. the best thing you can do as a family is go see a movie.
And a domed stadium would be the only way that a team could make it here. I know I don't go to as many games as I would like to due to the heat. I work out in it all day so why would I want to spend my free time out in it? Pretty sure I'm not alone in this line of thinking.
yeah thats what i was saying, either a dome or a retractable roof stadium. I think thats the only way to do it out in vegas with the heat.. players cant be playing in the 115 degree heat a stadium with some sort of roof would be the only way to do it.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I know a lot of people are against expansion, but I think this would be great! If this is a case where a team were to move I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

The West NEEDS another team in there.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
craiger122003 said:
There is a AAA team here already so where would they move to?

I doubt Las Vegas is going to get a MLB club. The 51s only draw about half the capacity of Cashman Field on average (at least the 2010 figures I just looked at).

People go to Vegas to gamble and screw around, not watch baseball.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
rsmath said:
craiger122003 said:
There is a AAA team here already so where would they move to?

I doubt Las Vegas is going to get a MLB club. The 51s only draw about half the capacity of Cashman Field on average (at least the 2010 figures I just looked at).

People go to Vegas to gamble and screw around, not watch baseball.

Yeah, part of me feels like Vegas could get a team, and although they might draw well at first, the hype would quickly die down and it would become another poor fan-base.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I don't really see a team working well there.

Its too warm, so they would have to build a dome.
Where would they put a dome?
Would the city pay for it when their economy is supposedly hurting?

I just dont see local residents fighting traffic to go to a ballgame and you know the tourists are certainly not going to be focused on baseball.
Especially after a late night of partying.

Members online

Latest posts