Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

michael jordan 1990-91 NBA hoops #65.. errors/variations/etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
kind of an odd post and a niche collection I have going... figured since I am getting familiar with the boards here I'd post it up. basketball isn't really my sport at all but when I was a kid I collected a bit.

my parents ran an electronic repair booth on the weekends at the local flea market, and I spent most of my time hustling selling stuff at our booth to get money to run over and spend it with the big ol cigar smoking stereotypical flea market card vendor of the early 90s

we played pack wars for most of the cheap cards.. at the time I was working on the 90-91 hoops set, and I think they were something like 50 cent packs at the time, one day after spending about $5 and winning a nice stack of cards I went back to our table and started filing them away in my binder. when I flipped over a page I noticed a football card on the previous page... odd to me since I had no interest in football and never really bought any cards... I flipped the page back over and looks like it must have been piggybacked with one of my other cards..so I pull it out...but alas it isn't...it is printed on the back! the front is the 90-91 hoops jordan card, and the back is the 1990 NFL pro set reggie white pro bowl card.

needless to say i was thrilled and with the hype of errors and the likes back then I was pretty sure I'd be able to buy a mansion with it one day. (needless to say reality kicked in eventually one day) either way I made sure to secure it down in a nice case and stored it away. it stayed with my families collection untouched at my parents for about 15 years (I just returned to the hobby about a year ago and brought them all down)

about a year before that I picked up another wrongback variation of the jordan as a birthday present to myself since it just reminded me of my favorite card I've ever pulled.

now a year later I have a small collection going, of misprinted variations and also different BGS number grades of the regular card. I actually had a person snatch a graded print error (missing the ink in the bulls logo) from my mailbox a few months ago or I'd have another.

anyway here is the collection, if you have, or run across anyone with any variation of this card at all...send them my way!! its hard to find new stuff to add to this pile ;)

ended up grading the reggie white back...unfortunately the centering on the back absolutely BOMBED the overall score, considering resubmitting it to see if it can get a sub bump, or just reslabbing it as authentic.... that 5.5 looks nasty ;/

without further ado, the photos!
jordan-sheet.jpg

and a link to the reggie white back larger:
http://www.page63.com/cards/jordan1.jpg

always looking for other lil oddballs of this card to add to the collection including:
-1991 sears hoops #13 jordan (front looks identical to the 90 hoops) my copy of this card isn't worth grading (granted none of this mini collection is haha), I am looking for one in nice enough condition to most likely grade a 9.5
-any BGS grade I don't currently own.
-any factory misprints/wrong back/blank back/etc variation

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
wbonus said:
Is that a Hoops card with a Pro set back? Did hoops print for pro set?

yep, the guys at pro set printed for a lot of different companies in 1990 up until the past year I had never seen another of its kind. on ebay 2 sellers popped up over the past year that had a few different pro set backed hoops cards. all of which were offcentered about the same as mine. (no players worth noting though especially not jordan/white caliber)

around two years ago I found two no name players that were the inverse (pro set front, hoops back) also with the same offcentering.

neither of the sellers knew the origins of their cards as they were family members passed down to them, I know mine was pack pulled, they look to have either just been test sheets on the printers before a run that snuck into packs, or some sorta test mockups by an employee

hell they could have just been an intentional screwup that ended up in packs for hype, but unfortunately instead of some crazed collector finding it a 10 year old did

always thought it was cool, always on the lookout for anyone who may have more info on them or the exact reason they came into existence

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
long time bump from the dead... added a few more different BGS number grades to the collection as well as a 2nd copy of a john jay humphries back

large scans of all cards can be found here:
http://www.page63.com/cards/1-jordan.php

if anyone has any variations/screwups/other cards of the #65 jordan I might be interested in drop me a line!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts