Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB.com's Midseason Top 50 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Having seen a lot of Michael Bowden I think he has the "stuff" to be a #2 or solid #3 starter with a lot of teams. Wether or not he can be that high in the Red Sox rotation is one thing but I think hes more than a #5 starter as his ceiling.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I think the biggest suprise on this list (which is well deserved BTW) is Derek Norris. He's finally getting some love.

Allen

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
If Bumgarner only had 1 pitch that was rated as "average or better," why is it that he is dominating AA at 19? Seems like a lot of pitchers would be able to dominate if they only had 1 average pitch.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Clearly if you think bumgarner has only one pitch and his fastball is just average or a bit than average than you have no idea what you are talking about and just restating you saw someone post a while ago...

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
I guess reading comprehension isn't that easy so I'll make it as clear as possible. One pitch average OR Better. That pitch being a plus fb with plus command. If you think his offspeed pitches are even average big league offerings now all I can really say is that you're wrong. They will get better with time though. All I'm really saying is that I thinkk the three I mentioned are better pitching prospects.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
andyduke86 said:
jbone17 said:
andyduke86 said:
MLB's list lives up to expectations once again. Horrible as usual.

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Not a chance. Anderson is overrated, but the other guys on this list are not overrated by any means. How is the best pitching prospect in Bumgarner overrated? LaPorta is a monster hands down, Arrieta repeats his motion on a continuous basis, Hellickson is a stud, Taylor is a masher, Jackson has 5 tools and yeah his K's are a little high but that is not enough to "overrate him" , and Bowden is a potential #5 starter.

Wow, you haven't been following some of these guys very closely. Arrieta repeats his motion consistently? That is 100% false. I've seen him twice, that's what I've seen, and everything you can read from reliable sources (BA) will tell you the same thing. If anything losing his mechanics/command in a game has become his calling card.

Bumgarner isn't the best pitching prospect, he has 1 pitch right now that is average or better. You can dominate in the lower minors with a well located fastball, but not in the majors. Matusz, Tillman, Parker are easily better prospects. I'd put Bumgarner in the 10-15 range, he's still a great prospect.

Hellickson is a 3/4 starter, not enough upside. In the 25-35 range for me most likely.

Taylor is a future AAAA player. Average big leaguer at best.

Jackson is typical Yankees hype. Melky Cabrera redux.

Bowden is a potential #5 starter. Thanks for making the point for me.

Just because I'm saying they're overrated doesn't mean I'm saying they're not great prospects.

I assume you have personally scouted him?

If you have I would love to hear what you saw. If you haven't I would love to know why you think he is a AAAA player.

Every time I have seen him he crushes the ball. The ball comes off his bat as hard as any good player in the majors. He makes solid contact, has speed, a plus arm, good defensively and well above average baseball knowledge. Those qualities will pretty much guarantee him a future in the majors for a long time.

Now because of how many prospects turn in to average players I think his future will be a slightly above average player, but he certainly could be an all star.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
ryanhoward06 said:
andyduke86 said:
jbone17 said:
andyduke86 said:
MLB's list lives up to expectations once again. Horrible as usual.

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Not a chance. Anderson is overrated, but the other guys on this list are not overrated by any means. How is the best pitching prospect in Bumgarner overrated? LaPorta is a monster hands down, Arrieta repeats his motion on a continuous basis, Hellickson is a stud, Taylor is a masher, Jackson has 5 tools and yeah his K's are a little high but that is not enough to "overrate him" , and Bowden is a potential #5 starter.

Wow, you haven't been following some of these guys very closely. Arrieta repeats his motion consistently? That is 100% false. I've seen him twice, that's what I've seen, and everything you can read from reliable sources (BA) will tell you the same thing. If anything losing his mechanics/command in a game has become his calling card.

Bumgarner isn't the best pitching prospect, he has 1 pitch right now that is average or better. You can dominate in the lower minors with a well located fastball, but not in the majors. Matusz, Tillman, Parker are easily better prospects. I'd put Bumgarner in the 10-15 range, he's still a great prospect.

Hellickson is a 3/4 starter, not enough upside. In the 25-35 range for me most likely.

Taylor is a future AAAA player. Average big leaguer at best.

Jackson is typical Yankees hype. Melky Cabrera redux.

Bowden is a potential #5 starter. Thanks for making the point for me.

Just because I'm saying they're overrated doesn't mean I'm saying they're not great prospects.

I assume you have personally scouted him?

If you have I would love to hear what you saw. If you haven't I would love to know why you think he is a AAAA player.

Every time I have seen him he crushes the ball. The ball comes off his bat as hard as any good player in the majors. He makes solid contact, has speed, a plus arm, good defensively and well above average baseball knowledge. Those qualities will pretty much guarantee him a future in the majors for a long time.

Now because of how many prospects turn in to average players I think his future will be a slightly above average player, but he certainly could be an all star.

one thing that does not get mentioned all that often is that the guy doesnt strike out a ton.

Wes

OG
Administrator
hive17 said:
LLWesMan said:
hive17 said:
LLWesMan said:
hive17 said:
[quote="AKA Coastal":2i1z4mq9]Feliz, Revere, and Escobar are to high IMO.

Escobar is about right.

I don't think too many GM's would take him over the guy right below him...

really? b/c every single GM who talked to Doug Melvin asked about him first.

Not saying he isn't the Brewers best prospect, just that Jesus (IMO) is better...

can I ask why?[/quote:2i1z4mq9]

I think an elite high average power bat is harder to find than an elite high average speed bat. Plus he is three years younger and already dominating AA.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Two things I'd like to mention.

#1 Bumgarner is in the right spot. So far in professional baseball, he has shown that all he knows how to do is dominate. The whole "he only has a good fastball and nothing else" argument might have been valid last year, but not this year. You can't dominate double-A in the way that he currently is with just a good fastball.

#2 Matt LaPorta is not overrated. He has been basically a top 20 prospect for over a year now, and just because he got called up and didn't immediately hit 100 homeruns doesn't mean that he's overrated. I still can't believe how far off the table his cards have fallen...because he's still going to be a great player and fits the mold of a 3-5 hitter in just about any lineup in the Majors. Someone please tell me how he is overrated, because I don't get how anyone can even think that.

This thread has provided some pretty good conversation, I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Two things I'd like to mention.

#1 Bumgarner is in the right spot. So far in professional baseball, he has shown that all he knows how to do is dominate. The whole "he only has a good fastball and nothing else" argument might have been valid last year, but not this year. You can't dominate double-A in the way that he currently is with just a good fastball.

#2 Matt LaPorta is not overrated. He has been basically a top 20 prospect for over a year now, and just because he got called up and didn't immediately hit 100 homeruns doesn't mean that he's overrated. I still can't believe how far off the table his cards have fallen...because he's still going to be a great player and fits the mold of a 3-5 hitter in just about any lineup in the Majors. Someone please tell me how he is overrated, because I don't get how anyone can even think that.

This thread has provided some pretty good conversation, I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts.

Thanks man. It is kind of laughable on how that guy said Bum has only one average pitch. I too have seen Taylor play at three levels and the guy is a tank. He will be the Phils starting LF very soon.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Not sure how many other people care, but I'm still interested as to why Lars gets so much attention, and Josh Reddick never sniffs a top 50 despite having very similar plate discipline (doesn't seem like it, but the K/BB stats over the last few years for both players has begun to even out), and Reddick has displayed much more consitent power, and a greater defensive skill set. Just my opinion, but I think Lars is the inferior player.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Adam G said:
Not sure how many other people care, but I'm still interested as to why Lars gets so much attention, and Josh Reddick never sniffs a top 50 despite having very similar plate discipline (doesn't seem like it, but the K/BB stats over the last few years for both players has begun to even out), and Reddick has displayed much more consitent power, and a greater defensive skill set. Just my opinion, but I think Lars is the inferior player.

I literally was just looking at SoxProspects.com and saw that they have Reddick rated #2 behind Casey Kelly, right in front of Lars Anderson. It may just be a team list, but apparently people who really follow the Red Sox system think Reddick is better.

Members online

Latest posts