Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB.com's Midseason Top 50 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Jaypers said:
kdailey4315 said:
Jaypers said:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090731&content_id=6161780&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Montero is way too low. Top 5 easy, in my book.

Who would you take out of the top 5 and replace with Montero? All the lists that I've seen so far this year have the same top 5.

Smoak, no question. He's good, but not that good.

I can see that. I figured you were going to say Posey and they I would have to defend my boy but I'm good with Smoak. Why is he rated so high then in all these lists?

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
kdailey4315 said:
Jaypers said:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090731&content_id=6161780&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Who would you take out of the top 5 and replace with Montero? All the lists that I've seen so far this year have the same top 5.

I'll list them off:

Bumgarner
Stanton
Smoak
Posey
Feliz
Tillman
Matusz
Parker
Beckham
Escobar

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:
kdailey4315 said:
Jaypers said:

Smoak, no question. He's good, but not that good.

Thank you. Yes he's good, but he's not even top 10 in my book. And there's NO way he should be ranked ahead of Montero. Also, I'm all about ceiling...but Feliz doesn't deserve to be as high as he is either. Revere doesn't belong on this list at all.

Other than that, looks pretty decent for the most part.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
MLB's list lives up to expectations once again. Horrible as usual.

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Too Low
Jesus Montero
Carlos Santana
Matt Moore
Casey Kelly
I'm sure there are some guys not listed, I'm just drawing a blank right now

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
andyduke86 said:

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Not a chance. Anderson is overrated, but the other guys on this list are not overrated by any means. How is the best pitching prospect in Bumgarner overrated? LaPorta is a monster hands down, Arrieta repeats his motion on a continuous basis, Hellickson is a stud, Taylor is a masher, Jackson has 5 tools and yeah his K's are a little high but that is not enough to "overrate him" , and Bowden is a potential #5 starter.

Too Low
Jesus Montero
Carlos Santana
Matt Moore
Casey Kelly
I'm sure there are some guys not listed, I'm just drawing a blank right now

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
jbone17 said:
andyduke86 said:

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Not a chance. Anderson is overrated, but the other guys on this list are not overrated by any means. How is the best pitching prospect in Bumgarner overrated? LaPorta is a monster hands down, Arrieta repeats his motion on a continuous basis, Hellickson is a stud, Taylor is a masher, Jackson has 5 tools and yeah his K's are a little high but that is not enough to "overrate him" , and Bowden is a potential #5 starter.

Wow, you haven't been following some of these guys very closely. Arrieta repeats his motion consistently? That is 100% false. I've seen him twice, that's what I've seen, and everything you can read from reliable sources (BA) will tell you the same thing. If anything losing his mechanics/command in a game has become his calling card.

Bumgarner isn't the best pitching prospect, he has 1 pitch right now that is average or better. You can dominate in the lower minors with a well located fastball, but not in the majors. Matusz, Tillman, Parker are easily better prospects. I'd put Bumgarner in the 10-15 range, he's still a great prospect.

Hellickson is a 3/4 starter, not enough upside. In the 25-35 range for me most likely.

Taylor is a future AAAA player. Average big leaguer at best.

Jackson is typical Yankees hype. Melky Cabrera redux.

Bowden is a potential #5 starter. Thanks for making the point for me.

Just because I'm saying they're overrated doesn't mean I'm saying they're not great prospects.

Wes

OG
Administrator
andyduke86 said:
jbone17 said:
andyduke86 said:

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Wow, you haven't been following some of these guys very closely. Arrieta repeats his motion consistently? That is 100% false. I've seen him twice, that's what I've seen, and everything you can read from reliable sources (BA) will tell you the same thing. If anything losing his mechanics/command in a game has become his calling card.

Bumgarner isn't the best pitching prospect, he has 1 pitch right now that is average or better. You can dominate in the lower minors with a well located fastball, but not in the majors. Matusz, Tillman, Parker are easily better prospects. I'd put Bumgarner in the 10-15 range, he's still a great prospect.

Hellickson is a 3/4 starter, not enough upside. In the 25-35 range for me most likely.

Last year it was "you can dominate in Low A," this year it's "you can dominate in the low minors," next year it will be "you can dominate in the minors," the year after that it will be "you can dominate in the NL West..." :D

Wes

OG
Administrator
hive17 said:
LLWesMan said:
hive17 said:
AKA Coastal said:
Feliz, Revere, and Escobar are to high IMO.

Escobar is about right.

I don't think too many GM's would take him over the guy right below him...

really? b/c every single GM who talked to Doug Melvin asked about him first.

Not saying he isn't the Brewers best prospect, just that Jesus (IMO) is better...

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
andyduke86 said:
jbone17 said:
andyduke86 said:

Overrated:
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz
Alcides Escobar
Matt LaPorta
Jake Arrieta
Jeremy Hellickson
Michael Taylor
Austin Jackson
Lars Anderson
Michael Bowden

Just because I'm saying they're overrated doesn't mean I'm saying they're not great prospects.

Bumgarner does not have one pitch and he has clearly proven that. I have seen Arrieta pitch and he is absolutely consistent. When any pitcher loses their control they fall off the ladder. Bumgarner is a top 5 prospect hands down. Him and Matusz are very similar stat wise. Hellickson is a very good prospect, and he has the upside to be a potential to be a 3/4 starter like you said. That I agree with you. Jackson has way more tools than Melky ever will and he will be a better player. I never said Taylor will be outstanding, but he is not overrated. He is a big man with a lot of talent.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
hive17 said:
LLWesMan said:
hive17 said:
AKA Coastal said:
Feliz, Revere, and Escobar are to high IMO.

Escobar is about right.

I don't think too many GM's would take him over the guy right below him...

really? b/c every single GM who talked to Doug Melvin asked about him first.

Not saying he isn't the Brewers best prospect, just that Jesus (IMO) is better...

can I ask why?

Members online

Latest posts