Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most likely HOFers currently playing at each position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Gonzaleznut said:
KOBEARODLT said:
jetsrule4 said:
bouwob said:
pudge first ballot, piazza not so much imho
hahaha your not serious, piazza is probably the greatest hitting catcher of all time, pudge definately juiced in the late 90's to early 2000's

yeah and piazza didnt lol

+1

If anyone tinks Piazza didn't juice up is smoking something

Oh i get it...you are a pudge fan, so since it's known that pudge juiced, every other great catcher in the era must have also...not.
I am not a pudge or piazza fan, but doubt piazza juiced.

That's pretty crazy for you to say EVERYONE that doesn't believe that piazza juiced is high, just because you are a pudge fan....sorry.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Gonzaleznut said:
KOBEARODLT said:
jetsrule4 said:
bouwob said:
pudge first ballot, piazza not so much imho
hahaha your not serious, piazza is probably the greatest hitting catcher of all time, pudge definately juiced in the late 90's to early 2000's

yeah and piazza didnt lol

+1

If anyone tinks Piazza didn't juice up is smoking something

If you think Piazza did, do you believe Juan Gone and Pudge juiced as well?

hofautos said:
hofautos said:
sheetskout said:
hofautos said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'm still waiting for someone to give some insight as to how Edgar Martinez was a better player than Jim Thome.

I would say situationally he was better, but i don't have stats to support it. My brother was a long time seattle fan, and said Edgar was the most clutch...and that's important AND EXCITING in my book....that's probably why he was a fan favorite too....the mariners probably loved to see him come up to bat when it mattered more than any other....at least that's the way my brother put it.

There aren't any stats to support it. Don't even bring up the average. Thome has Martinez in about every other statistic mentionable.
Can you show me situational stats and I will believe it. I don't doubt it, but I find it hard to believe there are many better than edgar when it counted most.

Here's the stats for situational, and Edgar beats Thome, sure thome has more power, but what i said is that Edgar is more clutch, meaning he comes through more often (AVG with runners on, is a good indication of that).

Edgar
Runners On 1908 3347 1059 1023 204 3 149 1101 729 576 49 30 .306 .428 .502 .930
RISP 1662 1954 910 590 123 2 80 920 511 341 15 6 .302 .438 .490 .928
RISP w/2 Outs 1084 902 386 237 48 0 28 313 262 183 6 3 .263 .434 .409 .843
Bases Loaded 368 163 209 49 11 0 9 161 22 22 0 0 .301 .356 .534 .890

Thome
Runners On 2221 3739 1209 1058 190 15 264 1299 888 1113 19 20 .283 .418 .554 .971
RISP 1896 2146 990 602 124 6 147 1037 626 670 5 7 .281 .435 .549 .985
RISP w/2 Outs 1191 973 405 245 48 4 61 382 301 321 3 6 .252 .432 .497 .930
Bases Loaded 410 206 228 62 15 0 9 182 12 68 0 0 .301 .325 .505 .830

LINKY IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT FOR YOURSELF
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players...GiOej6rgFrbZkN.FCLcF?year=career&type=Batting

Again, I am not saying Edgar is better or that he deserves to be in before Thome. I believe THome will get in, and I hope Edgar gets in but doubt it. I just think Edgar was more clutch...

Looking at the OVERALL picture, it seems to me, that Thome was the better situation hitter. His OPS was higher (by a considerable margin) in 3 of the 4 situations. Now, I know that is because of his greater power numbers, but homers generally score more runs than a walk or a single (in all situations involving anyone on base).

Not to take anything away from Edgar, as he is the greatest DH of all time in my opinion, and I consider Thome to be a 1B, so there shouldn't be any argument there.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
again, saying edgar was more clutch...meaning he came through a larger percentage of time....

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
hofautos said:
again, saying edgar was more clutch...meaning he came through a larger percentage of time....
Thome
Career OPS .964
Career OPS w/RISP .986

Martinez
Career OPS .933
Career OPS w/RISP .927

Not saying that Thome was more 'clutch'. Just saying that 'Clutch' is a myth.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
SamHell said:
hofautos said:
Thome
Career OPS .964
Career OPS w/RISP .986

Martinez
Career OPS .933
Career OPS w/RISP .927

Not saying that Thome was more 'clutch'. Just saying that 'Clutch' is a myth.

clutch is a myth?
If you come through when you are needed, that is not a myth?

show situational BA please.

GRIFFEY WILL BE VOTING FOR HIM

Junior casts his vote for Edgar

We of the Seattle media just finished meeting (Monday afternoon) with Ken Griffey Jr. in his new role as the sometimes center fielder of the Chicago White Sox.

Griffey is back in the American League full time for the first time since 1999, , and that of itself is something of a story. The Reds, the team Griffey engineered a trade to in the spring of 2000, sent him packing and he has a chance to make it to the playoffs and beyond with the White Sox.

The longtime (1989-99) Mariner center fielder took the time to lobby for Edgar Martinez's inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Martinez is on the ballot for the first time in two years. Junior doesn't have a vote, not being a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA), but he does have a stron opinion.

''There's no doubt about Edgar,'' said Griffey, knowing full well that it's problematic for Martinez to make it to the Hall of Fame. Martinez's career numbers are very good, but very good doesn't always make it to Cooperstown.

''Edgar was the best hitter I ever saw,'' Griffey said. ''There wasn't anything he couldn't hit. And he had such short arms, you couldn't jam him with a pitch.

''I hope he makes it. He's on my Hall of Fame ballot.''

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
hofautos said:
clutch is a myth?

BA is not the best measure of a hitters effectiveness but ok.

Thome
Career BA .278
Career BA with runners in scoring position .281
Statistically pretty much the same.

Martinez
Career BA .312
Career BA w/risp .302
Again, not much difference.

Derek Jeter-Mr. Clutch
Career BA .314
w/RISP .304

Alex Rodriguez. Reputation as a choker.
Career BA .303
RISP .301

David Ortiz. Another rep as a big time clutch player.
Career BA .280
RISP .298
Not much difference.

Mickey Mantle
Career BA .298
RISP .297

I didn't cherry pick the players. Look this up yourself.
Good hitters tend to hit no matter the situation. Bad ones suck just as well.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
hofautos said:
sheetskout said:
hofautos said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'm still waiting for someone to give some insight as to how Edgar Martinez was a better player than Jim Thome.

I would say situationally he was better, but i don't have stats to support it. My brother was a long time seattle fan, and said Edgar was the most clutch...and that's important AND EXCITING in my book....that's probably why he was a fan favorite too....the mariners probably loved to see him come up to bat when it mattered more than any other....at least that's the way my brother put it.

There aren't any stats to support it. Don't even bring up the average. Thome has Martinez in about every other statistic mentionable.
Can you show me situational stats and I will believe it. I don't doubt it, but I find it hard to believe there are many better than edgar when it counted most.

If you think this is what the writers look at when voting in a player you are dead-nuts wrong.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Yes, I believe that Gonzalez and Pudge juiced.

That being said, both deserve to be in the HOF as do McGwire, ARod, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, Manny, etc.

Piazza should be in too, as should Vizquel.

Reasoning is this...it is IMPOSSIBLE to KNOW for sure who did and did not use PEDs. Therefore you either have to let 'em all in or none of them in. It would be silly to let none of them in because even without PEDs all of the above listed players would have had outstanding careers. Maybe their numbers were inflated by 10-20% because of the drugs. It is certainly not right that they used, but there was no testing so you cannot blame the players for taking advantage of the system that existed.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Halladay and Johan keep getting mentioned, but what do you guys think about Pettitte? I know he did steroids, but he fell on his sword and admitted to it (if it's possible to admit to something after you've already been caught), and I think the baseball writers will like that. Plus, he has a nice post season record.

I definitely think he's on the bubble, and if all three mentioned pitchers retired today, I think he would be the most likely to get in.

By the way, I'm not a fan, just bringing it up.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
SamHell said:
hofautos said:
clutch is a myth?

BA is not the best measure of a hitters effectiveness but ok.

Thome
Career BA .278 Career BA with runners in scoring position .281

Martinez
Career BA .312 Career BA w/risp .302

Thanks...I am not talking "effectiveness" (define effectiveness?), I am talking clutch hitting. the point i am making is this:
Edgar Career BA .312 Career BA w/risp .302
Thome Career BA .278 Career BA with runners in scoring position .281

Edgar is more clutch...he comes through more often (frequency), than Thome. That is ALL I am saying.
I am not saying he has more power, that he scores more runs, simply that he is more CLUTCH.

Check Bill James stats...Google "Bill James RCAA" he suggests Edgar is one of top 10 living hitters, and Bill knows something about stats.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts