Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No autos today, but I do have a biggie coming, hopefully soon and w/o the stress of delays and potential lost package!

I did get this Gil Hodges lot. I really wanted the larger photo (approx 5x7) and don't know anything about it, but have not seen it before, so why not. it's probably nothing special, but you never know. It has the look of a promotional item, but no brands/sponsors or any identifiers. The smaller one is kind of a postcard type item. There is something on the back, I forgot now what, maybe a photography name and address.Hodges.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today was a very big day. I'll start it mildly, with an Andy Carey PC. He has a 62T Dodger card, but he is hatless if i recall. Carey.jpg

You may recall I am a big fan of the Pepsi clubs that were popular in the 70s. I drank Pepsi briefly, but am a Coke man when I do have soda these days. I have no special love for pepsi in itself, but this Japanese Menko card with the Pepsi logo just caught my eye. Of course Davis was a long time Dodger. He was a member of the 1977 Chunichi Dragons, so this card is likely 1977 or 1978. The Pepsi logo and gold signature (can't tell from scan very will) really make this card an eye catcher, not to mention the orange background and colorful uniform he is wearing. The disc is around the size of the mid 70s MSA discs, maybe slightly smaller. I have a small Davis collection, although he doesn't seem to have a ton of really oddball stuff. Someday, I should focus and see how close I am to getting everything. He was in some tough Topps test issues, which has been a deterrent in the past, such as the 1968 Topps 3-D!

Davis W 44.jpgDavis W 44 B.jpg

I am not going to end with a Garvey /7, so you know something good is coming. I really do like the Flawless brand, except for those lack of logos. This is on-card signed and I think he takes his time with this type of card, because lately his cheaper issues look rushed and sloppy.

Garvey 7.jpg

The finale! I really wish I could have snagged one of the Topps cards with the 86 design, but the only one I have seen is /5 and a 1/1! When it comes down to nothing or Panini, I will take Panini with a little bit of an attitude. At least it's very blue! He's not in yet, but a sure lock 1st ballot guy. This will continue my collection of certified LA Dodger HOFers. I am still lacking Jim Bunning and Hoyt Wilhelm & Juan Marichal. Probably never see any of those, unless by some miracle, I get one of those buyback cards (except Bunning & Marichal don't even have a Dodger cards aside from the 1990 Target set).

Albert Pujols /25. This was a splurge. I had his auto already, but really felt I needed a Dodger card. Hope he comes back and plays another season in LA. Pujols.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One in, a Corey Kluber auto. We'll see if he gets any Dodger autos. Kluber.jpg

Also got in another Banty Garvey. This one was cheaper than the last, but still more than I'd like to get away with paying. I do really like the quality work though and it is one "custom" I am willing to splurge on, along with the Sporting life cards. This one is a little Pain Jane though, 53 Bowman-ish,if you will. Garvey Banty.jpgGarvey Banty B.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just this photo lot today, 8x10 in size. Not sure of the history of these photos, although a fair guess would be they were related to Sport illustrated, but i don't know of them giving or selling branded photos. Maybe someone is familiar with them. I have not seen many like this, but they could very easily be a fantasy issue created by someone as well.

Garvey SI.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A pretty good day, but more to come. Normally I'd end with this one, like i did a few days back. However, I didn't honestly expect to win this (assumed my max regestered several days before auction end would be topped by a snipe and it wasn't- that NEVER happens when you really, really want to win) and although I am not unhappy, it was spendy like the first one. I certainly didn't need 2 of the same set/design, although my first one was /25, this is /10. Albert Pujols. i guess it could be worse!

Pujols.jpg

This Gagne /25 was a nice impulse buy at opening bid price. Gagne.jpg

Last item, not an auto, but Dodger related. Other than the Garvey cartoon auto designed after the mid 80s Topps Glossy AS cards, I have never won another Topps Project card. I have seen some neat designs and some real head scratchers that barely counted as a card. i am glad that I don't collect anyone who was featured on multiple different versions. However, the way I currently feel about new cards and the prices a lot of ho hum stuff is bringing lately, I doubt I would even chase a Garvey set with much vigor.

This card caught my sense of nostalgia and combined a cool new Dodger player with a great concept of the past, the Topps instant win card. I think the design this is based on was in 1980 packs, but I don't remember them being a test issue, which is how the few I saw on ebay were being advertised. I remember pulling them myself. Anyway, it was worth seeking out this card, even though I have no interest in the Project series otherwise.

Betts.pngs-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Can always appreciate another Sutton. Sutton.jpg

This Rios /25 was an impulse, bidding with a seller who I had won something from already. Can't hardly tell he is a Dodger on that card. At today's s/h rates, I like to bunch up purchases if i can. Postage will be the final nail I think... Rios.jpg

This is getting closer to an actual Dodger card for Neuse. Hoping for one with logos someday... Neuse.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Read in my Fred Kipp signed book that Clemente started in the Dodgers organization. Didn't know that before!!!!

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Clemente was originally drafted by Dodgers. They tried to hide him from Rule 5 type draft,but the Pirates had a guy who was a former Dodgers employee who knew about him.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thought you might like to see my newest addition. The1961 MVP cards are my favorite subset of all time, so I added this one

View attachment 329858
Very nice. I always thought I had a Campy card (not signed of course) but can’t find one now. Maybe a friend had it and I wanted to get it. I need to go buy one some day.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another pretty good mail day. I'll start it with a non-photo. I got my 2nd Archives/FF Dave roberts blue /25.

Then I got this tony Gonsolin. I may already have it, I could not recall. It seemed most of my Gonsolins were unlicensed, so even if I do, I don't mind a cheap dupe. Gonsolin.jpg

Then I got this very oddball card of Steve Garvey. Admittedly, I didn't notice at first that this was an incomplete card. These were 4 page booklet cards made by a guy who sold binders and checklists in the 70s. They are about as crude as you might expect for a home made card in 1977. I think you got a 3 ring binder, some sheets and one of these checklist cards for around $5-6. They are known as H. Karp cards, after the guy who's name is on them. This is only the 2nd time I have seen one for sale. The back page was removed, which was the info about the binder and such. I was going to bid much higher, but after I noticed it was only a partial, I backed off. Apparently nobody else wants/needs or was willing to buy this, so I won at the opening bid price. it was $20, which is a lot for what it is. They are certainly not easy to find though. I do have a full booklet, so this is a dupe, so not real concerned.

Garvey Karp F.jpgGarvey Karp B.jpg

I'll mention this here, only because I needed a certified Verlander scribble for my collection. I'll show it on the Jan P/U thread too. And how about a Boof Bonser appearance, no less. Boof is his legal name, changed from John in 2001. His being on the card hurts it a little, but the Weaver is a nice add. Keeps the card cheaper, which I like, as I really just wanted the cheapest Verlander Auto I could find. Would have been cool to have some scrub Dodger on there instead of BOOF though!

Verlander 3X.jpg

Wrapping up with my score of the day. I think everyone knows by now that I like the oddball stuff. I have been seriously collecting Dodger autographs for a decade or more now and have allowed that to stretch into just about anything Dodger related. Some of the subjects are especially cool, simple because they were not as sought out as players and coaches. This addition is a new one that I didn't have. I do an ebay search and almost never get any hits except for that guy on The Office, who's charater shares the same name.

A kind of scrubby ball showed up a week or two ago and I was tempted, but I really, really don't like non-flats unless I absolutely have no other choice. Thankfully I waited, because this showed up last week with a BIN of $10! I snapped it up as fast as i could.

Kevin Malone, former Dodgers GM. He succeeded Tommy Lasorda and his tenure was brief, SEPT 1998-APRIL 2001. He has some minor league cards, but have never seen any of them autographed since I started looking. This magazine, which is about 9.5" x 11.5", will fill a hole until I can find a signed card, IF I can find a signed card.

Malone.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Duke Out of it's original holder, but that is fine. Snider.jpg

I have watched for one of these for a while. I have plenty of autos of all of them and even some as a group, but this image was new. I ended up buying a 16x20, but the seller informed me AFTER the auction ended that it was actually an 8x10. I actually prefer that size, since I don't display my photos and 16x20 would take up major wall space. He offered me 1/2 off the price, so that was a no brainer.

Funny thing is, it came in a very large padded mailer, about the size you'd send a 16x20! Maybe he sells a lot of that size...

30HR VClub.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing of interest to report this week, except this poster. Had never seen it before.

garvey Poster.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A decent day today, leading off is a 1943 contract featuring future Dodger Cal Abrams, signing twice, but the real reason I bought it was to get a Branch Rickey Jr autograph. I'd rather have his pops, but that one is out of my price range. Jr was a Dodger executive in their farm system and later Asst GM from 1939 until 1950 when O'Malley gained controlling interest in the Dodgers and ousted Rickey Sr. Jr then followed Pops to Pittsburgh where he held similar roles until he died in 1961 at age 47.
Abrams 1.jpgAbrams 2.jpgAbrams 3.jpg

it's kind of downhill from there, although Rickey Jr is not a significant name on his own, his family name sure is and he was a dodger executive, so why not.

Max Muncy Clearly 85 design. Muncy 85.jpg

Ruiz is gone from the franchise after only appearing in 8 games across 2020-21, now with Washington. hopefully he does OK. I have several of his cards. This one is an interesting off brand, numbered to 9 copies. The gold part is actually metal I believe. Ruiz 9.jpg

Speaking of metal, Bob "scrap Iron" Stinson wraps up the day with a signed RC. I would discover Stinson when he was a part time catcher with the Mariners from 1977-80, where he had 3 of his most productive years.Stinson.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Long day, so a quick check in before bed.

I got a fairly cool custom of one time Dodger pitching coach Jim Colburn (looks better in the image than live, but still cool. Colborn.jpgColborn B.jpg

Then I got a nice bundle of mid 1980s Padre newspapers. Have not looked through them yet to see if there were any unadvertised bonus photos or items within the individual newspapers. love this stuff. Padre Papers.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one today, because the other card I should have received was switched out with a 1990 Topps Jeff Treadway??? honest mistake, I hope. I'll be reaching out to the seller for an explanation and hopefully a swap for my card or a refund at the least.

The 78s will always hold a special place for me, as they were the beginning of a lifelong pursuit.

Yeager.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
2 days worth, as I forgot to post yesterday.

Lead off with the Archives Garvey /5. Artificially scare buyback, but I do like the series. Garvey 5.jpg

Then a Snapshot Muncy /10. Muncy 10.jpg

A Guerrero base to go with the gold I got a few weeks back. Guerrero P.jpg

I think this may be my 3rd copy of this Kendrick, but it is a great card and can't pass up a deal. KEND.jpg

I bought this stupid oversized thing too. Have a few of them. They made SO MANY and most were marked 1/1, but not sure why. Maybe every single one has some subtle difference. Stupid set, but it was cheap. Garv bar.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My missing Ron P showed, making for an underwhelming mail day on the baseball side.

Perranoski.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Forgot to post this yesterday, so it's part of today's mail call.

Tribute /10 GRVEY 10.jpg

Pretty coolto add Herman to the certified Dodger collection, with what does still amount to an overpriced 3x5 card. This is one of those booklet cards /10. I'll take it. It was listed for something like at $50-60 OBO (I forgot the original asking price) and I made an offer that was accepted!

Herman.jpg

Last item I am pretty pumped about. Aligning with my oddball preferences is a challenge coin featuring Garvey. It's from KinderVision and is dated 2022, so maybe more of these hit the market, but I kind of doubt it. I went to the website and found no mention of Garvey at all. Unless this is a very early copy, I would expect to see something online. I have reached out to the seller, now that I have it in hand. Don't want to tip your hand too early. Hopefully there is a cool story behind how they obtained this and where. This is the kind of thing that could hit the market and then never be seen again. I lucked upon it too. I was going a long overdue ended auction Garvey search to check what has sold and prices and when I wrapped up and refreshed the search for new listings, this popped up with a $2 open bid or a VERY reasonable BIN. I hit that BIN w/o hesitation and even feared by the time I checked out, I would be told the item was unavailable., That has happened to me a couple times before. Had I not been doing that search, I would probably not have seen the listing for a while and thus, someone else would have probably bought it. I'd have seen it in the next sold search I did and it would have pissed me off to no end!

If more show up, no big deal. I still got a great deal. In a way, I hope I never see another one for sale again. That is the appeal of the truly unique and oddball. Right place, right time.
Garv Coin F.jpgGarv Coin B.jpg

Members online

No members online now.