Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Finally, another couple Hostess cards. That is the entire run across several recent purchases, but I should point out that 3 were twinkee cards (from the snakc pack twin cake packages) and only the 79 is a basic bottom of the box Hostess card.

Man, I miss the times of getting cards like this from food products. Sad that it isn't used much these days.

Garvey Hostess.jpgGarvey Hostess 79.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got this Garvey /25 for $3.51 plus S/H, I guess because of the "damage". It isn't too terrible and doesn't affect the signature. UD has a thing or two to teach Panini about rendering a card worthless (Sweet Spot disappearing ink!)Garvey 25 351 damage.jpg

Jose Morales. Morales 83T.png83T Traded. I just really like this card.

A few weeks ago, I think I told a tale of buying a Garvey card that was advertised as 6/100. Paid a premium for the jersey # serial number only to find out it was actually 66/100. The premium wasn't worth it, although I do like thew double jersey #. I didn't try to buy it at a lesser price (Probstein), so just returned it for a refund. They relisted it, and I won it back for a much cheaper price, so it has not arrived at my place for a 2nd time, this time for good. s-l1600-1.jpg

Also got Toles s-l1600.jpg

Last item is a Dodgers Facsimile ball. Pretty sure it is 1961, because I saw Dick "Turk" Farrell and that was his only year in LA. Also includes Snider, Hodges, Koufax and the rest of the gang. The ball does have a few wear spots, so it is not perfect, but was cheap, so I went for it. Ball.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I got a new Garvey that didn't take forever to win and was at a semi-decent (for now) price. Maybe the market is starting to soften a bit more finally. There is no reason for everyone to be chasing Garvey autos all of the sudden. he is still alive, still not a HOFer and probably never will be. Why the sudden surge, other than sheep-like bidding patterns. I'll buy because everyone else seems to be buying!! Garvey Tier 1.png

Joey Gallo. This scratches a new Dodger off the wantlist. Back down to 4 needs. Now he'll go to the massive "upgrade" list. Maybe he'll get a Dodger auto, maybe he won't last long enough. The guy was 2-10 with 6 Ks and 2 singles when I last checked. Ugh! He fills a spot as a former AS player too, but I have kind of let that go due to all of the new AS players each year and the fact i'll never complete it. I do like the opening day auto design, as usual.Gallo.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another fine Dodger mailday. I guess I really don't want to retire as soon as I think with all the spending lately.

Garvey Archives /9. Garvey :9.jpg
Al Oliver /5. Oliver 5.jpg
Furcal /30. Furcal 30.jpg
Heaney /50. Heaney .png

Both of these find HOFers made Brooklyn appearances in their careers. Arky Vaughan and Heinie Manush. I don't buy a lot of vintage stuff these days, not because I don't love it, but because it has gotten overly expensive. I also grabbed a lot of what I wanted in the early ebay days. Glad I added a lot of good cards when I did, but sadly I put off just as many, figuring there would be more time. Vaughan.jpgManush.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
After some real doozy mail days, this is all I can brag about today. These were fairly scarce for /50 $ /75 and those that did show seemed to sell for stupid prices. I got a bargain on this one. Title Dodgers.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I forget when I picked mine up but it must have been a deal because I wouldn't pay a lot...I was surprised to find out later that the set sells so well.

mcgwire16tbunttitle50.jpg

Though technically if the set is called "Title Town" it should only have 4 World Series titles for Oakland...the other 5 were won in Philadelphia.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Massive haul today, mostly in the form of a lot of 3x5s/cuts. More on that in a second.

Newcombe leads us off with this /50 card. Newcombe 50.jpg

Now, the lot. Advertised as 200+ Dodger autos, I have not gone through this yet. In fact, besides a quick review of the scans in no great detail before bidding, I figured at less than $1 per auto at the opening bid, I couldn't lose regardless of who was in there. Some appear to be ugly, others may be fake (that Wills in the first/second scan looks funny and caught my eye, for example), but hoping for some gems.
Dodger 1.jpgDodger 2.jpgDodger 3.jpgDodger 4.jpgDodger 5.jpgDodger 6.jpgDodger 6.jpgDodger 7.jpg

If I find anything epic, i'll come back with an edit, but I suspect it will be a lot of the fairly common guys I already have multiples of.

Attachments

• Dodger 8.jpg
    Dodger 8.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This warrants a new entry. Went through and alphabetized the new autos from the 200+ lot and although in general it was a pretty nice selection and definitely worth the $ spent, I thought I had won the lottery with 1 signature. Clancy Smyres is famous in the Dodger collecting world. Apparently he just did not want to sign anything. His career didn't amount to anything, but if you want every single Dodger, you still need his.

I came across one and about crapped. No way could this have been randomly left in a lot like this. There was a time where Jim Stinson was offering Mr. Smyres $500 a signature and he refused. Anyway, this 3x5 was included and I set it aside. A similar rare auto of Nick Polly showed up later, looking very similar to Smyres. I finished sorting, then did some sleuthing.

IMG_1065.jpg

When I came across this signature from an article, talking about how nearly impossible Smyres was, I realized it was the SAME EXACT SIGNATURE! If I recall, the original collector who tracked it down had gotten it from a guest registry at a hotel. Had I accidentally bought one of the only Smyres autos that seem to exist? Doubtful indeed, so I peeled away the signature and behind it was clearly some sort of newsprint periodical writing, related to memorabilia. It was clear this was a signature that was probably clipped from an article in something like SCD. Bummer, but completely expected, so glad I didn't see it in the photo. The Polly looked to be from the same publication, maybe even the same issue? I wrote "copy from publication" on the 2 cards and will put them with the rest as place holders for signatures I'll likely never own.

After clearing up that I didn't stumble into $1000+ in rare Brooklyn Dodgers in a $120 lot, I did realize that the lot was loaded with obscure and deceased players that I have obtained over the years previously, paying more per signature than I just did for the duplicates. About the only signature I would rave about at this point is Solly Drake, another obscure one. This was on a 3x5 card, so not doubting it's authenticity.

There were 2 signatures in the lot I couldn't ID and there was no help on the back. Most of the signatures were former Dodger players, but some were coaches and even some minor leaguers, so these could be anyone.

Does anyone recognize either?

I think the 163. 03 is typically to document the year and # of player to debut in the 3X5 collecting world, but that doesn't match up, as 2003 #163 is Chase Utley, so unless his signature changed dramatically, I don't think that is what those numbers signify on this card.

The other appears to be cut from some sort of document. Looks like Robert H. or Robert W. but can't really make out the last name. Looks like it may start with an H, but not positive. its not a signature that is clicking with me for Dodgers.

IMG_1067.jpgIMG_1066.jpg

It's been concluded that this is Tsao (not going to bother to look up the rest of his name, which is not on the tip of my tongue) and Robert "Bob" Wilson.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some good stuff.

Lux /50. Lux 50.jpg

Oliver /10. Oliver 10.png

Finally nabbed one of these at a decent price. By this time next year, I bet I'll be thinking I overpaid! That is the auto game these days... Rodriguez.jpg

Neuse /49. Neuse 49.jpg

I only buy these when I get good deals now. They (LEAF) have really overblown this concept. This is /12. I absolutely hate that there are no images on this card, other than some jersey backs. Stupid concept. only buying to mark off a card from a checklist, hence why I am only snagging the deals. Garvey 12.jpg

This insert is /10. Garvey Baker 10.jpg

Another O'Malley XMas card from the same source as the last one. Always nice to add his auto. O Malley.jpg

This was a new add, former long time Dodger Stadium Organist Nancy Bea. This goes with the Helen Dell auto I have as well. Some really oddball, but it fits the theme and was cheap enough not to sweat. Bea.jpg

Wasn't really going to show this, but there are 6-7 Dodgers (Ashley, Hollandsworth, Reuss, Russell, Tracy, Young in the lot of 20 signed 8x10s, plus Garvey as a Padre. Also included a few 60s-70s-80s guys like Blue, B. Robinson (Deceased), Madlock, Campaneris, Lonborg, Incavilgia, Seitzer, J. Montgomery, G Perry and then some scrubs I could care less about (T. Hall, C. Moore, L. Jaster. and one Cub pitcher I was not sure who, Joe Borosomething or another. it was surprisingly cheap, $20 and some change + s/h & tax, so a buck + per photo. 20 8x10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey /50. Garvey 50.jpg

Jordan /11. Jordan 11.jpg

Wood /99. Wood 99.jpg

Goodson, not an easy auto to find, especially on this card for some reason. Goodson.jpg

Jarrin. Cool and he was broadcasting in 1970, so it works. Jarrin.jpg

Antonello, LeJohn & Palica 3x5s Antonello.jpgLejohn.jpgPalica.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey /25. Garvey 25.jpg

Garvey /18. Garvey 18.jpg

Baker /25. Baker 25.jpg

Garvey 76T (WHY didn't they flip that corner BEFORE listing it???). I grabbed this as a print oddity, but I suppose it's possible that it is sun faded too. It was cheap, so it won't be a big deal if this is a sun fade. s-l1600.jpg

Brett Mayne. Mayne.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I've never even considered getting one of the 3D lenticular cards signed. Interesting, but I'm not sure I like it lol
They usually don't look great, but they are cool. Got a Murray 78 signed as well.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Furcal /25. Furcal 25.png Wills 25.jpgWills /25.

Finally won a couple of these at a cheap price. A lot of them have these over the top patches, but I suspect they are just regular patches that have no relation to the player, other than representing the team. Then its some weird off brand as well. That is why I won't pay much for them, about what the going rate for their signatures.E Leonard.jpgW Diaz.jpg

Finally, I bought the base Garvey, but have not seen it arrive yet. The /7 showed up and snagged it at a BO price. Garvey 7.png

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Love all the Garvey Cards! He was a favorite of mine growing up. Btw, are there Topps certified auto cards of Manny Ramirez and Manny Machado from their brief time as Dodgers?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Love all the Garvey Cards! He was a favorite of mine growing up. Btw, are there Topps certified auto cards of Manny Ramirez and Manny Machado from their brief time as Dodgers?
Both Manny's have a plethora of Dodger certified autos. in fact...

part of my record mail day (18 packages), here are the Dodger related items (and the rest are showcased in the Aug new pick up thread.

Man Ram /3. Man Ram 3.jpg
Loretta Red Au/35. This may be faded or maybe that is the way in came. Not sure. Loretta 35.jpg
Furcal /39 Furcal 39.jpg

White /25. M white 25.jpg

Maeda. Maeda.jpg
Hooton Hooton.jpg

Garvey Penn Emblem. See my story/wantlist in the Aug pick-up thread comment from today as well, if you have any of these crude patches and want to help a brother out! Garvey Penn.png

Have to continue into post #2, as i have 4 scans left (combining a pile o cards)...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The last lot is from greg morris cards. There can be some deals, but it seems mostly on lower grade stuff. I am not a competitor in his high grade stuff.

Some great Dodger oddball though, with 58 Hires (with tabs), Bell brand and some 40 Play Ball roughies..GM 1.pngGM 2.pngGM 3.pngGM 4.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing like the volume of yesterday, but a strong mail day all the same.

Leading off with the Garvey /5. Didn't expect to win this, let alone get a halfway decent price. You never know. Garvey 5.jpg

A pedestrian Garvey after that one, but one of few Archives I have laded this year. s-l1600.jpg

Wills Wills.jpg

Muncy. Muncy 99.jpg

Rodrigues. s-l1600-5.jpg

This is a new Dodger add to scratch off the list, although I already counted him in the tally when I bought a COMC card (which should come soon). s-l1600-1.jpg

Frank Howard as a Tiger, almost as cool as a Dodger. F Howard.jpg

Torreyes. Torreyes.jpg

Finally, a trio of Dodger facsimile balls. I believe seller said 88-90. I have not verified names to pinpoint the years yet, but all 3 are different. I'll pick these up, but only when they are cheap. This lot of 3 fit that description.
Dodger BALLs.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just going to start out with a vent about how tired I am with lazy sellers. Take the time to package a card properly, then when the USPS does their thing, at least it won't be ruined! Not calling out the seller, but let them know I was less than pleased with the packaging, that is a card loose in a padded mailer 4x too large for the card being mailed! The card was warped, looked like someone put a boot heel into the toploader!

On to my mail day.

Not sure why people remove the "sealed" cards from their holders, but I can live with it. Still prefer them as issued, but this was too cool to pass up. An OPC Cey 6/6. Cey 6.jpg

Muncy. Muncy Opening Day.jpg

Bill Harris heritage. Had the Red ink, but still needed the base. B Harris Heritage.jpg

Members online