Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A nice quad today

May, finally got one for my price. This card was in the $30 range or more, but it came down to a good spot for this buy. s-l1600-5.jpg

Buckner. s-l1600-7.jpg

Smith, on yet another Topps win (in my mind) for design in their Opening Day issue. Their regular issue and premium set auto card designs are often ugly, but they seem to find cool designs for their Opening Day, Montgomery, Brooklyn and other special issues. s-l1600-1.jpg

This last is another Archive. Seager /25. I actually didn't expect to win and got caught up in a little spite bidding, but ended up holding the bag. I don't mind that much, but it should teach me a lesson to let go! s-l1600-3.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not shy to bash these Leaf cards. I liked them early on, then they just got crazy with low print runs and TONS of cards. The parings can be a bit stupid too and the fact that they didn't use pictures was the topper. Then you see a card like this and have hope, only to notice your player is one of the few that is still just a jersey pic! I have only bought these if they were cheap or it was a design/pairing I realy, really wanted. Not to mention there were a few other buyers who have no sense of value, overpaying like these were the last cards ever made!

This one is /4 and the names make sense for the most part, 70s perennial all-stars. 3-4.jpg

A pair of Archive Furcal cards. There are certain vintage sets that I absolutely loved for signatures. 1961 is by far my favorite, but 57 is up there too. Clean, simple designs that are just asking for a signature. 67 is another, except that it was the first (and last) set of the 60s that reintroduced the facsimile signature that had been on the larger design cards of the 50s. One is 14 and the other 19/39. 14.jpg19.jpg

Not really seeing deals on vintage non-certified cards these days. The supply seems to have dried up and when they do get listed, they sell for way more than I recall in the past. Maybe its time to dip into my collection and thin it out! 52B Schmitz was the only one out of a dozen Dodger cards I managed to win and it was at the top end of my bid range. Schmitz.jpg

Eddys Leonard. Leonard.jpg

Another Sutton from this set, this one /10. Someone has a 1/1 up, but they are way out of the ballpark on what a Sutton 1/1 auto might go for. He is a HOFer, but maybe the least liked? He seems to get ZERO hobby love. Probably didn't help that he played on some lesser popular teams in the 80s after his long run with the Dodgers. ds 10.jpg

Last item is a rare (for me these days) unsigned vintage card. I don't buy much outside of signed items these days. I love all cards in general, but think the best bang for the buck is to add an autograph. I do have this signed, but was hoping to win a few more. Same seller as the Schmitz, I only managed to win 1 of the ran Dodgers the seller was selling. There are a lot of people spending too much money on stuff still. It's not Covid days, but it's lingering from that spike. New blood that is willing to pay whatever and get a few fighting each other. It's skewed the market for us long timers that knew what to expect to pay for things, that is for sure.

Erv Palica 51 BowmanPalica.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Not shy to bash these Leaf cards. I liked them early on, then they just got crazy with low print runs and TONS of cards. The parings can be a bit stupid too and the fact that they didn't use pictures was the topper. Then you see a card like this and have hope, only to notice your player is one of the few that is still just a jersey pic! I have only bought these if they were cheap or it was a design/pairing I realy, really wanted. Not to mention there were a few other buyers who have no sense of value, overpaying like these were the last cards ever made!

This one is /4 and the names make sense for the most part, 70s perennial all-stars. View attachment 345066

A pair of Archive Furcal cards. There are certain vintage sets that I absolutely loved for signatures. 1961 is by far my favorite, but 57 is up there too. Clean, simple designs that are just asking for a signature. 67 is another, except that it was the first (and last) set of the 60s that reintroduced the facsimile signature that had been on the larger design cards of the 50s. One is 14 and the other 19/39. View attachment 345067View attachment 345068

Not really seeing deals on vintage non-certified cards these days. The supply seems to have dried up and when they do get listed, they sell for way more than I recall in the past. Maybe its time to dip into my collection and thin it out! 52B Schmitz was the only one out of a dozen Dodger cards I managed to win and it was at the top end of my bid range. View attachment 345069

Eddys Leonard. View attachment 345070

Another Sutton from this set, this one /10. Someone has a 1/1 up, but they are way out of the ballpark on what a Sutton 1/1 auto might go for. He is a HOFer, but maybe the least liked? He seems to get ZERO hobby love. Probably didn't help that he played on some lesser popular teams in the 80s after his long run with the Dodgers. View attachment 345071

Last item is a rare (for me these days) unsigned vintage card. I don't buy much outside of signed items these days. I love all cards in general, but think the best bang for the buck is to add an autograph. I do have this signed, but was hoping to win a few more. Same seller as the Schmitz, I only managed to win 1 of the ran Dodgers the seller was selling. There are a lot of people spending too much money on stuff still. It's not Covid days, but it's lingering from that spike. New blood that is willing to pay whatever and get a few fighting each other. It's skewed the market for us long timers that knew what to expect to pay for things, that is for sure.

Erv Palica 51 BowmanView attachment 345073
LOVE 1951 Bowman!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey/25. This is card 1/25, which doesn't appeal to me much, but I know a lot of people like them better. Garv 1-25.jpg

Garvey Banty, correcting the "awful" 1973 (I kind of like it though). s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

Went on a tear with Marichal last year or so and decided I was getting too many, yet he has some great cards and he is relatively cheap. Couldn't pass on this, as Heritage cards are always popular and this is a great shot. I hope they do his 74 card next year! marichal.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
At first I thought this might have been just a card that was missed, but upon receipt, I see it is a redemption card. Weird that it is numbered and embossed. I do like their weird stuff though. Paul Konerko.

IMG_2652.jpgIMG_2653.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is /25 with Garvey's son Ryan signing on the other side. Not worth showing that side! s-l1600-3.jpg

Many would say this is ruined due to writing/stamp, but I say it adds character. I am going to assume that the salutation is from Bob Bartosz himself, plus he has added his address via stamp. He made these, so I find this quite cool. I have several unaltered, so this was an easy snag at $5 asking.
s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

Buehler took a long trip. I bought this around Christmas! Buehler Brooklyn 12-24-.jpg

Frank Robinson Recollections /36 s-l1600-4.jpg

BucCollector

Apr 25, 2012
I agree that the postcard is enhanced by the writing on the other side (in case anyone's reading this and couldn't make out the small type, Bartosz was the photographer and publisher of the postcard). I occasionally pick up J.D. McCarthy postcards and prefer them used, addressed and with cancelled postage.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I agree that the postcard is enhanced by the writing on the other side (in case anyone's reading this and couldn't make out the small type, Bartosz was the photographer and publisher of the postcard). I occasionally pick up J.D. McCarthy postcards and prefer them used, addressed and with cancelled postage.
Thank you for the added commentary. In case anyone is reading this as well, if you click on the thumbnails, it enlarges the picture. That assumes you are not already using a phone with a tiny screen, which I think most people do these days. I use my phone, but for forum activity, I am almost always on my desktop.

Today brings...

Garvey /99. 99.jpg

Garvey Adidas poster. I don't recall when I first learned of this poster, but I wanted one bad. They are still somewhat infrequently found, but a seller who claims to have his or her's dad's store inventory from when dad ran shows in LA area has sold a bunch of these, all signed. I probably bought one or 2 before. It had been a while, so I bought another. Because of the storage dilemma for posters and oversized items, I really don't have an accurate count of anything larger that 8x10.

s-l1600-12.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600.pngs-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-3.jpg
Uncertified DeJesus, Loney, Fairly, Popovich, Haller, Shirley, Osteen & Gabrielson and an Archives silver Tapani.

A nice lot of 3x5s that I stole for $1.99! Lehman, Rutherford, Borkowski, Mauro and Rod Miller. s-l1600-8.jpg

Finally, this one is interesting. Bob appears to have caught Bob trying to sneak another request by. Collector Bob sent to Dodgers player Bob O'Brien, who replies "Wow, Deja Vu! You mailed me a card once before. Did you get it back. I'm sorry if you didn't. Best Wishes. O'Brien only has one card, a 1972 Topps Rookie prospects card that he shares with Charlie Hough and Mike Strahler. It's seldom found signed, so maybe Bob is a big of a tough signer, especially considering he must keep records of who has sent before, or did whenever this was sent.

s-l1600-9.jpg

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Thank you for the added commentary. In case anyone is reading this as well, if you click on the thumbnails, it enlarges the picture. That assumes you are not already using a phone with a tiny screen, which I think most people do these days. I use my phone, but for forum activity, I am almost always on my desktop.

Today brings...

Garvey /99. View attachment 345204

Garvey Adidas poster. I don't recall when I first learned of this poster, but I wanted one bad. They are still somewhat infrequently found, but a seller who claims to have his or her's dad's store inventory from when dad ran shows in LA area has sold a bunch of these, all signed. I probably bought one or 2 before. It had been a while, so I bought another. Because of the storage dilemma for posters and oversized items, I really don't have an accurate count of anything larger that 8x10.

View attachment 345205

View attachment 345206View attachment 345207View attachment 345208View attachment 345209View attachment 345210View attachment 345211
Uncertified DeJesus, Loney, Fairly, Popovich, Haller, Shirley, Osteen & Gabrielson and an Archives silver Tapani.

A nice lot of 3x5s that I stole for $1.99! Lehman, Rutherford, Borkowski, Mauro and Rod Miller. View attachment 345212

Finally, this one is interesting. Bob appears to have caught Bob trying to sneak another request by. Collector Bob sent to Dodgers player Bob O'Brien, who replies "Wow, Deja Vu! You mailed me a card once before. Did you get it back. I'm sorry if you didn't. Best Wishes. O'Brien only has one card, a 1972 Topps Rookie prospects card that he shares with Charlie Hough and Mike Strahler. It's seldom found signed, so maybe Bob is a big of a tough signer, especially considering he must keep records of who has sent before, or did whenever this was sent.

View attachment 345213
I had the Garvey poster autographed, but misplaced it when I moved awhile back

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had the Garvey poster autographed, but misplaced it when I moved awhile back
I didn't mention it specifically, bother than to say I got it from a seller who was moving their parents signed inventory, but this one is signed as well.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today was mostly Dodger themed mail, but what wasn't, I didn't feel was worthy of taking the time to post about it. It was vintage cards signed, which I love, but nobody amazing.

A pair of Recollection Madlock cards, both numbered to 10 lead off the day. They had reasonable BIN prices, but me being the bargain hunter went with opening bid and hoped nobody would bid. The images were not great and I got them at the opening bid prices!:
s-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-7.jpg

Garvey Chrome /25. s-l1600.jpg

Valera. s-l1600-10.jpg

Klippstein and Crawford. s-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-11.jpg

I have 1 or 2, maybe more, of these but the price was right and I don't see them listed all that often. s-l1600-2.jpg

Lehman Heritage. s-l1600-9.jpg

The last 4 were not in Dodger uniform and since i can't upload all of them in this post, I'll just do a 2nd post with those.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The highlight of the Dodger/Non-Dodger cards was this 51 Bowman Reiser. Reiser was showing a great deal of promise in brooklyn before the war, but 3 years of Army service and a number of injuries derailed what might have been a great career. He ended up playing about a dozen years, with those 2 after his rookie season in Brooklyn remaining his best. He died at 62 in 1981, so although he seemed to be a gracious signer, he can still be a little tougher to find. s-l1600-1.jpg

Dutch Leonard. The Dodgers had him in the early 30s and after 4 seasons (2 full/2 partial), they traded him and then he blossomed into a 5X AS pitcher for the Senators and Cubs. s-l1600-4.jpg

Waite Hoyt. This actually may be him in a Brooklyn uniform, but it's not shown. He did 2 separate stints in Brooklyn. He is in the HOF, but aside from 200+ wins, his stats don't show his as being all that dominating. One of those guys we'd argue about non stop now if he were a current player. s-l1600-5.jpg

Don McMahon never played for the Dodgers, but was a coach up until his death. He literally died playing baseball, suffering a fatal heart attack while tossing BP. In an article I found, it reported that he died in a hospital, so he didn't actually die on the field, but his death was a result of the heart attack suffered while he was pitching. He was only 57.s-l1600-3.jpg

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Today was mostly Dodger themed mail, but what wasn't, I didn't feel was worthy of taking the time to post about it. It was vintage cards signed, which I love, but nobody amazing.

A pair of Recollection Madlock cards, both numbered to 10 lead off the day. They had reasonable BIN prices, but me being the bargain hunter went with opening bid and hoped nobody would bid. The images were not great and I got them at the opening bid prices!:
View attachment 345216View attachment 345217

Garvey Chrome /25. View attachment 345218

Valera. View attachment 345219

Klippstein and Crawford. View attachment 345220View attachment 345221

I have 1 or 2, maybe more, of these but the price was right and I don't see them listed all that often. View attachment 345222

Lehman Heritage. View attachment 345223

The last 4 were not in Dodger uniform and since i can't upload all of them in this post, I'll just do a 2nd post with those.
I like the Dodgers viewmaster. Pretty Cool!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another Banty. I like them, but I hate paying for them! Let's just say, I wish I had less competition for them, although the one before this was a bargain, compared to most I have won and a few I didn't win.s-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not quite as cool as the Pepsi club stuff, but Coke did some stuff with the Dodgers in the mid 80s. This was too cool to pass up. It's about 8x10 size on paper stock. Might have had tablets of them for the event for all i know. s-l1600.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts