Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Family Collection - Dave Nicholson - VERY SCAN HEAVY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
That is really awesome. Great pictures. One thing and I am not sure if it matters or not, but you may want to remove the SS# from the pictures.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
zep33 said:
Great stuff!!

Really enjoyed reading through it
thanks! tried to make the article as readable as possible. some of the newsprint was really yellowed with age.

Mozzie22 said:
Very cool. How close are you on the Beckett checklist?
18/27 - the ones I'm missing are VERY tough regional issues, and one I don't believe topps actually released.

Thanks for the continued comments guys, and thanks prospector...shows how much I paid attention after all that scanning... ::facepalm:: :lol:

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Great to see all the pics Charlie- great to have all that history so well documented. Did he get to keep the '76 uni? I actually remember those.

Hope you are well.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Nice, maybe Topps will get him a cert auto in Heritage one of these years.
Did he save much from his playing days. Do Sox or O's ever bring him in for old timers stuff.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matchpenalty said:
Nice, maybe Topps will get him a cert auto in Heritage one of these years.
Did he save much from his playing days. Do Sox or O's ever bring him in for old timers stuff.
A cert auto would be INCREDIBLE! He does have 1, (topps claims 2) Heritage buybacks from the last 2 years.

He did several old-timers games/events back in the 80's. There is a pic of me on the field with him at one of them that I need to find/scan.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Fantastic items, and a great record of his career. I was hoping he had been signed by someone in my family.

Not sure what he was in relation to me, but my Grandmothers' sister was married to Don McShane who was an Orioles scout in the '50's to early '80's. He signed a ton of players and claimed to have been in on the signing of Brooks Robinson. When he passed he left hundreds of historical baseball items ranging from personalized pictures from guys like Dimaggio and Mantle, to All-Star balls signed by the entire AL team, to World Series rings. The biggest item to me was a ball he had signed by Ruth, Gehrig and Aaron....unfortunately my Grandfather decided he needed a truck more than the ball and sold it a few years ago for far less than it was worth. I always felt that ball deserved to be in the Hall of Fame and now it's not even in our family any more. :cry:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
ronfromfresno said:
Fantastic items, and a great record of his career. I was hoping he had been signed by someone in my family.

Not sure what he was in relation to me, but my Grandmothers' sister was married to Don McShane who was an Orioles scout in the '50's to early '80's. He signed a ton of players and claimed to have been in on the signing of Brooks Robinson. When he passed he left hundreds of historical baseball items ranging from personalized pictures from guys like Dimaggio and Mantle, to All-Star balls signed by the entire AL team, to World Series rings. The biggest item to me was a ball he had signed by Ruth, Gehrig and Aaron....unfortunately my Grandfather decided he needed a truck more than the ball and sold it a few years ago for far less than it was worth. I always felt that ball deserved to be in the Hall of Fame and now it's not even in our family any more. :cry:
Very sorry to hear that... :(

thank you guys for the compliments

Adam - "the world needs ditch diggers too" :lol:

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Great collection Charlie! You have done a great job of keeping everything together! That would look great in an archival album!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
darrend505 said:
Great collection Charlie! You have done a great job of keeping everything together! That would look great in an archival album!
Thanks darren!

A great majority of it is in two scrapbooks kept by my granmother from the time they first met.

The rest needs to be stored/organized in some way.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Had a chance to go visit my granparents for Thanksgiving, so I need to update the thread... :D

AstrosAuto2Resize.jpg

Auto'd 8x10

ExaminerResize.jpg

San Francisco Examiner original press photo & reverse

ExaminerReverseResize.jpg

The glove & ball are still at his house, but I finally got a chance to get pics of them

GUGloveLeftResize.jpg

GUGloveRightResize.jpg

GUGlovePalmResize.jpg

This is the only game used glove that he kept for himself

RoofBallResize.jpg

And this is the ball that he hit out of Comisky Park in 1964

Now...these are the two things he sent home with me...

CharityBatResize.jpg

A 2000 White Sox Charities "Field of Greens" Bat

And...

GrandpaBatResize.jpg

HBPlateResize.jpg

NamePlateResize.jpg

The ONLY player model bat he had left. It was never game used, but this is the only one of his bats that he kept, and now it is mine!!

Thanks for looking!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Holy Crap. You Grand-Father was from Elmhurst, IL. and had a sporting goods shop in Bensenville.
I was raised in Norhtlake which both of these towns bordered the town I grew up in. His shop was in the 60's and at Jefferson and York road. I know that area well. So how long he he own the shop for.
My current Dentist is right on the corner just south of this.

I think the store ended up be coming a auto parts store later and the a liquor store. I can't remember what it is now but there is a firehouse right across the street from it though. And white Pine golf course is right behind the fire house.

Oh and nice stuff you have Charlie.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
All of that is incredibly cool to me, and I don't even have a connection to the guy. Does he ever point out that he was better than Mantle? :D

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Pine Tar said:
Holy Crap. You Grand-Father was from Elmhurst, IL. and had a sporting goods shop in Bensenville.
I was raised in Norhtlake which both of these towns bordered the town I grew up in. His shop was in the 60's and at Jefferson and York road. I know that area well. So how long he he own the shop for.
My current Dentist is right on the corner just south of this.

I think the store ended up be coming a auto parts store later and the a liquor store. I can't remember what it is now but there is a firehouse right across the street from it though. And white Pine golf course is right behind the fire house.

Oh and nice stuff you have Charlie.
I can't remember how long he had the store, but I remember that after he closed it he also ran a Hildebrand's that I hung out in as a kid... :)

They later moved from Elmhurst to Schaumburg, and now southern Illinois.

Latest posts