Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Era for Pitching?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
My evidence is purely circumstantial based on what I've seen as I watch the two fantasy leagues I'm in...but it seems to me like the quality of pitching (especially solid starting pitching) is at a several decade high. I'm talking about two things:

1) The calibre of the "elite" starter: Halladay, Lincecum, Sabathia, etc. They just seem to dominate.

2) The number of good solid starters out there.

Is it just a false perception or is there something to it?

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Are you alluding to hitters not being able to use roids as a potential reason or am I reading too far into this?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Kershaw has started 5 games and everyone was a quality start.

He is on pace to finish the season 7-7 after 35 starts with a 3.05 ERA with over 200 innings

Tim hudson hs also on pace to go 7-7 with 27 starts and a 3.28 ERA

then you have Wade Davis who is projected to go 14-7 in 27 starts with a 3.68 ERA

The difference between a #2 starter and a #5 is at a all time low.

serving4theking

Aug 10, 2008
aaron41984 said:
Are you alluding to hitters not being able to use roids as a potential reason or am I reading too far into this?

That was one of the possible precursors that I thought about, but is it no more than that?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
19braves77 said:

He is on pace to finish the season 7-7 after 35 starts with a 3.05 ERA with over 200 innings

then you have Wade Davis who is projected to go 14-7 in 27 starts with a 3.68 ERA

Haha, I have all three on my fantasy team. Wins are naturally killing me so far.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
19braves77 said:

Maybe Kershaw should stop throwing 110 pitches to get through 5 innings and he'll win more.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Uhh...Kershaw's first 2 starts were not QS. He didn't even pitch 5 full innings in his first start against the Pirates....

IP H R ER HR BB SO
4.2 5 3 3 1 6 4

19braves77 said:

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
The pitchers will get tired out as the season progresses, and the hitters will warm up.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Hitting has been dominant for the past 15-20 years, both in terms of individual performances and cumulative stats (runs per game, homers per game, etc.). Whether all that was due to PEDs and what weight the combination of smaller parks, smaller strikezones, and changes in approaches to hitting had is something that's difficult to sort out. But despite all that, there have always been some pitchers who simply dominated. Today it's Lincecum, Halladay, Lee, etc., and others a notch below like Felix, Price, etc. But in the last decade there was Pedro, Johnson, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, and others for briefer periods but with peaks nearly as high (Zito, Santana, Webb, et al), some of whom have come back. It was amazing to watch baseball when there was an average of 3.5 homers per game being hit and Pedro would be out there with a sub-2.00 ERA.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My bad with Kershaw.

Look at Wade Davis vs Zack Grienke today.

A #1 pitcher going up against a #5 with the #1 pitcher making one mistake.

Games like this today are fun.

Members online

Latest posts