Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nolan Arenado....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
That's no lie. Who the hell are these guys? I really didn't know. I'm no prospector, and I don't have my finger on the pulse of up-and-coming players. But seriously, let's see who my team got for a perennial MVP candidate...

Austin Gomber: 27 years old, 104 IP in the majors, 7-3 with 3.72 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. Respectable, but.
Mateo Gil: 20 years old, 2 seasons in the minors. 257/.327/.373 slash and can't steal a base. Pass.
Elehuris Montero: 22 years old, 6'-3" third baseman. Hmm! But alas, little power (32 HR in 1519 minor league PA) and .751 total OPS.
Tony Locey: Only 22 with 17 IP in minors. Not a good 17 IP but way too soon to tell. Still...

That is the most Rockies trade in Rockies history. No wonder they have never won their division in 26 years and counting.

I’m honestly in the same boat of not knowing much about the prospects, but I do know that Gomber has the potential to be very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Some more info...Colorado is also getting Jake Sommers...and...

St. Louis is now getting one of the game’s premier infielders, and the team will reportedly add another year and $15MM to Arenado’s contract. As such, he’ll be signed through 2027 at $214MM. The Rockies will absorb $51MM, including some in deferrals, according to Feinsand. The Rockies will pay all of Arenado’s $35MM salary in 2021, Jon Morosi of MLB.com relays.

Along with the added value to his deal, Arenado will be able to opt out of his pact after either of the next two seasons (the Cardinals added the second opt-out as part of the trade; most of the money the Rox owe will be after the opt-outs, Feinsand adds).

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Gomber could be a very solid #3 who flashes #2 stuff some days. Good fastball, great curve (which will suck in Colorado), good slider, underused changeup that flashes plus and excellent command.

Gil is a gamer and that's about it. He'll be a solid utility guy. He did develop some pop over the winter as he filled out but he swings at literally everything.

Montero is a swing tweak away from massive power. His power was actually on the upswing but he had a hand injury in 2019 that messed him up some. I like the bat and hate to see him go but there wasn't any place for him in St. Louis. He's a 1B long term I think.

Locey is a back end bullpen piece with a nasty upper 90s moving fastball (not quite Jordan Hick level but same mold) but not much idea where it is going right now.

Sommers is a who knows lottery ticket. Nice hard sinker and he has good control.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I imagine the construction workers from the beginning of "Major League" when hearing the names....
"Who are these f***ing guys!??"

I look at minors a little, I knew Gomber but that was it.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well you've given me a little hope. And here in Colorado, hope always springs eternal in February!

Gomber could be a very solid #3 who flashes #2 stuff some days. Good fastball, great curve (which will suck in Colorado), good slider, underused changeup that flashes plus and excellent command.

Gil is a gamer and that's about it. He'll be a solid utility guy. He did develop some pop over the winter as he filled out but he swings at literally everything.

Montero is a swing tweak away from massive power. His power was actually on the upswing but he had a hand injury in 2019 that messed him up some. I like the bat and hate to see him go but there wasn't any place for him in St. Louis. He's a 1B long term I think.

Locey is a back end bullpen piece with a nasty upper 90s moving fastball (not quite Jordan Hick level but same mold) but not much idea where it is going right now.

Sommers is a who knows lottery ticket. Nice hard sinker and he has good control.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
So I'm listening to a podcast by this guy Jeff Morton, who also does a radio show here. He says the Rockies traded Arenado to STL for "a pile of hair and some middling prospects". Ouch.

And apparently a recent Denver Post front page headline read "The Dumbest Trade Ever In Colorado Sports". Double ouch.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
So I'm listening to a podcast by this guy Jeff Morton, who also does a radio show here. He says the Rockies traded Arenado to STL for "a pile of hair and some middling prospects". Ouch.

And apparently a recent Denver Post front page headline read "The Dumbest Trade Ever In Colorado Sports". Double ouch.

I listened the Baseball America podcast about the trade. They’re typically pretty positive but pretty harsh on this trade.... as well as they should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Latest posts