Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Not good news for Saints - Sean Payton suspended for 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
GM gone first 8 games. Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely.

Mentioned in the Daily that I totally expected the penalties to exceed Spygate. This makes Spygate look like a minor offense.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
brauny said:
Technology will keep him coaching believe me, no way he will not be in the know with this team.
Just imagine the penalty if he/they get caught doing what you just mentioned, I doubt they would want to risk it.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I think that this is something the team will rally around. The two 2nd round picks isn't bad, I was expecting worse. Losing Payton for a year is tough but Carmichael called the plays last year after Payton hurt his knee and Spags is more than capable of stepping into the interim HC/DC job. We'll be fine.

I do think that within the next week, the front office needs to make a strong push to get Drew signed to a long term deal so he can show his support for the team and Coach Payton.

It will make it all the more sweeter in the end when Goodell has to hand us the Lombardi trophy in New Orleans at the end of the season.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
mstng99tim said:
brauny said:
Technology will keep him coaching believe me, no way he will not be in the know with this team.
Just imagine the penalty if he/they get caught doing what you just mentioned, I doubt they would want to risk it.

I can see it now - 17 year old girl caught calling the shots for the Saints (Payton in internet chat using an alias of a 17-year old girl).

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
They had to make an example out of the saints to show other teams that this won't be tolerated. I also think the fact that they were told by the commish to stop and just ignored his warnings lead to a very severe penalty

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
RITM said:
GM gone first 8 games. Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely.

Mentioned in the Daily that I totally expected the penalties to exceed Spygate. This makes Spygate look like a minor offense.

Actually, the penalties and the commish's office made it look like a minor offense.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Just heard Jabari Greer do a live interview on SC where he hinted that IF :lol: hte bounties did happen, these guys are still Professionals, upstanding members of the Community and it didn't affect their games on the Field.

He obviously thought the penalties were too severe, and should have only been "off-field" stuff, I guess he meant fines, etc. :?

Man, did this interview make him look bad...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Also, "Schefty" is reporting that Goodell has sent out a Memo that requires GMs and HCs to certify in writing that there are no Bounty-type programs in place on their teams.

Now this won't help a bit for any past problems, but IF they find reason to not believe these guys Certified letters, then Oh boy, will they get a harsher penalty...

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
:cry: I can't believe Sapp says the snitch is Jeremy Shockey. Shockey was very outspoken that there's no way there was a bounty program when the news first broke. I guess that's what a snitch would do, but I still don't want to believe it.

HEAVYHITTER

Oct 31, 2008
The penalty is ridiculous.

Just because you want to"make and example" out of someone doesn't mean you did the right thing.
I bet if he dug into the rest of the league we wouldn't have football next season.

GODell should be fired.

HEAVYHITTER

Oct 31, 2008
When should we expect to hear from GODell about Suggs getting suspended for a year when he said a few years back that they had a bounty on Hines.....

Today was not a good day for the NFL. The man behind the curtain just pulling the strings, and abusing his power..

Shi Guy

Jul 23, 2010
Seattle, Wa
People are naturally going to despise the authority, but in this case I don't think it's warranted. For the bounty program on it's own the punishment seems too severe, but when you take into account the cover up that took place it seems just right in my opinion.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Obviously the powers that be have more information than I do. They must have some quality info to make the punishment this big.

Members online

Latest posts