Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NSCC Future Destinations (2014 - 2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
From a selfish standpoint, I'm happy it's finally coming back to Cleveland, as I live in the Akron area. However, from a logistics standpoint, it makes little sense. Even with the new convention center downtown, the number of hotels and attractions don't match the demand.

Baltimore and Chicago are the ideal spots to rotate back and forth, based on my experiences at each one. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the show experience at Baltimore was last year, and Chicago is always a blast.

Greg

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
I voted against Atlantic City, and I live an hour away... The national works best in a city where therre are lots of inexpensive hotels, things for the family to do while you attend the show, and ease to travel in and out of the show. Atlantic city is to expensive during the summer and it is really not a family destination, not to mention the fact that the ability to gamble does suck money out of the show.... The best venues by far have been Baltimore and Chicago. Cleaveland isn't that bad because it is really easy to get to and is cheap, but the IX center is pretty ugly and you cannot walk to it from the hotelts.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I really wouldnt say the nats is family oriented book early enough and youll find a cheaper nice hotel room if not theres a ton of small hotel in the near vicinity.

The nats were there in 2003 and I never heard anyone knock it. I was there for a few days and it was the best one I attended.

I voted against Atlantic City, and I live an hour away... The national works best in a city where therre are lots of inexpensive hotels, things for the family to do while you attend the show, and ease to travel in and out of the show. Atlantic city is to expensive during the summer and it is really not a family destination, not to mention the fact that the ability to gamble does suck money out of the show.... The best venues by far have been Baltimore and Chicago. Cleaveland isn't that bad because it is really easy to get to and is cheap, but the IX center is pretty ugly and you cannot walk to it from the hotelts.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There are a lot of factors for where the Natonal CAN be and where it should be. IMHO -- CHicago is fine each year but as was pointed out to tme -- if we never move from there -- eventaully just a very large mega local show. Room SIzes, Hotel Rooms, Costs, etc all factor in the National equation. Look, Mike Berkus is one the Natoinal honchos and he knows everyone in California and yet the National has not been in California for more than a decade

This is a business decision, but in reality if we could have alternated between Baltimore and Chicago I think everyone would be happy. AC is a dump pure and simple and while growing up it was cool to go there -- that is not the place for a National. Cleveland -- too seperated for the hotels, terrible access going from place to place just a proftable place to run a National.,

Look, I live in Dallas and Market Hall is big enough for a National plus there are enough rooms nearby -- however the same problem for Dallas as for Cleveland -- no real way to walk between places, And the Arlington CC is not big enough at this pont nor is the Irving CC. George W Brown in Houston is big enough. bur Houston in the summertime???

As long as you remember it's all business, that is why AC, Cleveland and Chicago. I wish Baltimore would return. And people on the West Coast would be thrilled with Anaheim but not happenning for now.

Rich

The GRB would be a good place. But it's not the only spot. It could be held at the reliant arena. That's where Tristar posts up now. And yes I know it's like walking into hell every time I go outside right now. It's freaking hot! But anywhere in the south is hot this time of year. I think it's a little weird they only like to hold it up north now. They really ought to try to alternate it a bit more. It would be a major pain to go to Chicago for me. Or Cleveland. Or Baltimore.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
I really wouldnt say the nats is family oriented book early enough and youll find a cheaper nice hotel room if not theres a ton of small hotel in the near vicinity.

The nats were there in 2003 and I never heard anyone knock it. I was there for a few days and it was the best one I attended.
I was set up in 2003 and it was by far the worst i have ever done. It was also the most poorly attended national from 1997 to current. There was a vote after that national to return in 2006, but it was voted down by huge numbers. The national is only returning to Atlantic City because of the amount of kick-backs they will give to the promoters due to the struggles that Atlantic City is currently experiencing.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Look, I live in Dallas and Market Hall is big enough for a National plus there are enough rooms nearby -- however the same problem for Dallas as for Cleveland -- no real way to walk between places, And the Arlington CC is not big enough at this pont nor is the Irving CC.
The National was held at the Arlington Covention Center twice, in 1986 and 1990.
I went to both, and the hobby was several magnitudes larger than it is now, especially in 1990.
Why wouldn't the Arlington CC be large enough now?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
We are just gonna disagree here. I was supposed to set up but it fell thru. Every dealer I knew there which is a ton killed it. Some sold out which is rare. It was crowded and the auto lines were fierce.
Ill be at this one probably setting up and will expect a great show and great nightlife

I was set up in 2003 and it was by far the worst i have ever done. It was also the most poorly attended national from 1997 to current. There was a vote after that national to return in 2006, but it was voted down by huge numbers. The national is only returning to Atlantic City because of the amount of kick-backs they will give to the promoters due to the struggles that Atlantic City is currently experiencing.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Indianapolis is absolutely perfect and the convention center dates must be the sticking point.

They can host a freakin Super Bowl but not the National?

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Much more corporate involvement than in 1986 or 1990. Don't you think I'd like the show to be there

Rich

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Pretty much sucks. At least try to get it to the west coast once or maybe closer, by bringing it to tex,col, arizona, utah. F half the hobby I guess.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The National was held at the Arlington Covention Center twice, in 1986 and 1990.
I went to both, and the hobby was several magnitudes larger than it is now, especially in 1990.
Why wouldn't the Arlington CC be large enough now?

Made both of those as well. The Hobby was huge back then. Place was packed. Wasn't Score based in Dallas or Arlington? Maybe that helped the Metroplex get the show. It was friggin hot but great shows. Attendance wasn't a problem.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Would it not be fair, to have the biggest show held in areas that are close to midway between the west and east coast? Would it not be fair, if the show is going to be held on the east coast, maybe have it on the west coast every once in a while too?
Why should we be the only ones having to use our airports? Am I wrong in saying it sucks??

What have I said that you would say is incorrect??

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Would it not be fair, to have the biggest show held in areas that are close to midway between the west and east coast? Would it not be fair, if the show is going to be held on the east coast, maybe have it on the west coast every once in a while too?
Why should we be the only ones having to use our airports? Am I wrong in saying it sucks??

What have I said that you would say is incorrect??

I wouldn't say you are wrong, but I am saying you don't have all the facts. It takes a certain type of situation to make the nscc favorable to a venue. They go to the centers that will play ball and allow them to hold the show and profit off of it.

Members online

Latest posts