Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Just finished rescanning my Stadium Clubs. Do any of you guys recognize/acknowledge color variations from the '95 TransAction or Extreme Corps inserts?

Blue logo
stadium95TAblue1_F629.jpg
stadium95TAblue2_F629.jpg

Red logo
stadium95TAred1_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred2_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred3_F629.jpg

Yellow logo
stadium95TAyellow1_F629.jpg
stadium95TAyellow2_F629.jpg
stadium95TAyellow3_F629.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TNP777 said:
Just finished rescanning my Stadium Clubs. Do any of you guys recognize/acknowledge color variations from the '95 TransAction or Extreme Corps inserts?

Blue logo

Red logo
stadium95TAred1_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred2_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred3_F629.jpg

Yellow logo

I don't count them as seperate cards but I do try to nab as many variations as I can.I consider them different enough to collect them that way if that makes any sense.But they are only counted one time.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Topps: () Some variations have a sheet letter copyright like the A* B* of other Topps products

What are the deal with these? Is it just A* or B*? I found a Molitor and Griffey base cards with G and
a Ripken MOG with L ?

cptcoyote

Jun 10, 2009
Hello i figure this is the best place to post this question/inquiry. I recently picked up some 1997 Pinnacle Certified "Certified Team" error/variations cards. I was hoping someone here could shed some light on these. I vaguely remember there being an article/blurb in Beckett referencing these particular cards but i can't seem locate the exact magazine. Heres the scans:

1997mirror1.jpg
Regular Version

1997mirror2.jpg
"Mirror" Version

Heres a scan of both together for comparasion
1997mirror.jpg

Now if i remember correctly there was some error at the printing press which resulted in the "Mirror" like finish on the cards. It was caught early on and very few leaked out via packs/boxes. Can anyone here verify/confirm this? Thanks for looking.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I remember seeing one on Beckett but the pics were dark and hard to define the differences.

From memory-

Marlboro- (Billboard is darkened, I've heard of a 'lighter' billboard but never seen. I'm assuming it was a lighter printed/inked card.

Scribbled out in Black

(Also owned a Scribbled out or Marlboro with green tint over the white as well as red over the white area.)

Black Box in Billboard with lighter surrounding area of billboard.

Full Black Billboard

I've seen numerous other variations mentioned but no clear pics as proof.

Found this from ebay user name - evolb-half. He might still have his E/V group on ebay.

1. The first printing of the card shows a red and white Marlboro billboard, complete with Marlboro man, behind Randy's left ear in the background.

2. The second printing still has the entire billboard visible, but dark, reddish shading/shadowing covers Marlboro and the red and white of the sign. Very noticable next to the first printing. Entire sign is still COMPLETELY visible despite shading.

3. The next version still has the sign visible, but there's a black line through the middle of the word Marlboro with the tops of all letters in Marlboro still clearly visible.(you can still tell the sign says Marlboro)

4. This version still shows the red and white of the sign, but there is a black blob where the word Marlboro once was, no longer showing tops of letters.

5. The Marlboro sign is completely gone, but a black rectangle, exactly in the shape of the Marlboro billboard, CLEARLY sticks out from the rest of the black background.

6. The most common "corrected" version. There is absolutely no trace of the Marlboro sign ever being there at all.

marlboro.jpg

Johnson.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Great stuff. Anyone have any new discoveries for 80s and 90s stuff? I'm getting ready to pull out mine for Clark and Murray.

Forgot if I had shared this one... 1990 Donruss Grand Slammers border variations. My guess is that these were printed in multiples per sheet or they were added to the end of other regular issue card sheets.

1990-Donruss-Grand-Slammer-Will-Clark-border-variations-1-6.jpg

and

1990-Donruss-Grand-Slammer-Will-Clark-border-variations-7-12.jpg

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I found something interesting.I will scan later tonight when i have some free time.I found some cards in my 1991 donruss box.I have some cards that have a yellow color under the red to the left of the team logo on the bottom left.I found 8-10 of them and everyother 1 is blue under the red.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
theplasticman said:
Anyone have any new discoveries for 80s and 90s stuff?

Found this FF card. Never seen another like it nor anyone I asked around has either. Counterfeit?

Or different printer/screening or whatever ?

Suspect Card on right is redder. Duller pic.

Lighter/cleaner gray on back on suspect card.

Look at the Orange stripe. Orange background w/red dots. opposite on other card

R next to Orioles logo (Registration mark) bigger.

Look at black dots on right border. When I enlarged, you can see on left they are horizontal and on right they go diagonally.

Printed in USA font looks smaller.

1989 FLEER CORP PHILA 19141 smaller on suspect card and larger copyright symbol.

Logo on suspect has larger bird feet/bat.

Pic cropped different. Less sleeve shows, less dirt triangle on right.

Picture145.jpg

Picture144.jpg

oddFFa.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Picture147-1.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture141-1.jpg

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
Here are the scans,notice the yellow color.The examples on the 1st page have blue colors.I went through over 3000 of these and these are the only ones i can find.I have doubles but they are yellow also.

Anybody think this is a variation?

8-9-200982744PM.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Don't have them scanned but I found some really noticeable differences in the background on the 2000 Revolution.If anyone has any of the base cards take a look.On the foil in the background if you compare two cards they look different than each other as far as the pattern.Now...it may be like the process for the stadium club extreme corps like above on page 5 but in any case they are different.I noticed it tonight when I was going rooting around in my Bagwells trying to put a few dupes and new cards away.Might be something for you guys to check out.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
If the players were more hotly collected, this would be a sick error card:

2001 Fleer Focus JD Drew - No gold foil stamping (no writing other than the Fleer logo) and while the picture of JD Drew is very clear he isn't embossed. The extra cool part is that there is a nearly invisible, superemposed ruban rivera layed over the picture of JD Drew, exactly where he'd be on his own card. I could only tell it was Ruban Rivera by going back and matching the embossing up with the invisible picture on the error card.

Very cool.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
TNP777 said:

Blue logo

Red logo
stadium95TAred1_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred2_F629.jpg
stadium95TAred3_F629.jpg

Yellow logo

Are there also variations on the World Series stamp parallel for these cards?

BTW, I was at Game 5 of the NLCS this year in Philly and I saw a dude wearing a Butler jersey.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I just bought a lot of 1999 Topps Traded C.C. Sabathia rookie cards and one of them has a blank back. Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen a LOT of 1999 Topps Traded cards and have never seen ONE with a blank back. It even has the "glossy finish" on the back.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Noticed something odd on the new Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects.The baseball world classic cards # 24 Ardolis Chapman has a different numbering sequence than the other cards.His says BCW24 on it as opposed to the BWDP that the others say preceding the number.Anybody else notice this?Not sure if its a variance since I only have a handful of cards from this set and I have nothing else with him out of the same set to compare it to.But I found it odd.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I noticed that on Sportslots there are three 1990 Fleer set listed as Canadian variations:

'90 Fleer MVPS
'90 Fleer All-Stars (the boxed set not the inserts)
'90 Fleer League Leaders

I checked the cards I have and all of them seem to be printed in Canada. Does anyone have any cards from these sets that were printed in the USA?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
I noticed that on Sportslots there are three 1990 Fleer set listed as Canadian variations:

'90 Fleer MVPS
'90 Fleer League Leaders

I checked the cards I have and all of them seem to be printed in Canada. Does anyone have any cards from these sets that were printed in the USA?

All of mine (incl. dups) from those sets are from Canada as well.

Does remind me I still need to locate the canada of this guy

w_1990--fleer--638--canada.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
onionring9 said:
tpeichel said:

'90 Fleer MVPS
'90 Fleer League Leaders

All of mine (incl. dups) from those sets are from Canada as well.

Does remind me I still need to locate the canada of this guy

w_1990--fleer--638--canada.jpg

I have a feeling those variations don't exist.

Members online

Latest posts