Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I posted this elsewhere but I thought you guys might like to see it. I found this in an old box I hadn't been thru in over 13 years. I remember opening this pack though because every card in it was a gold variation. I remember thinking this must be what a "hot pack" is.

Bad scan and old top loader, card is mint!

1995 Upper Deck Special Edition Gold #120

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
Re: "RARE" 90's Inserts.... #2

gwynn5453l4u said:
tonsofcommons said:

Ooohhhh! I really like that card!!!!!

I agree they are some of my favourite cards.
AA9.jpg

CramerChoice.jpg

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
George_Calfas said:
AndruwHRJones said:
[quote="George_Calfas":2gj531o8]
AndruwHRJones said:
Thanks to jeffv96masters for the free grade in his contest! The only gem from the whole set so far.

Looks like that little defect was acceptable for BGS, nice grade on a tough card.

What defect are you referring to?

Just below his left foot, appears most of these have a blemish where the dufex is not complete.[/quote:2gj531o8]

Oh, I see what you are talking about. Is this issue on ALL of the platinum gold test issues or just the Andruw Jones? Fandruw25 and I have 10 of the 30 between us and most of ours have this defect and it appears indented into the card in most copies. Almost like something small was on the printing plate when these were printed. The copy I had graded however was not indented. It may not appear in the scan, but the defect spot is dufex texture, it just doesn't follow the pattern correctly. With only 4 total of these cards being graded by BGS, I highly doubt they are even aware of this small defect. Either way, even if they did notice, I would hope it wouldn't have knocked my surface grade below a 9 because the dufex didn't follow the same pattern.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Not really an insert but still a somewhat tough pull in 1996.

96finestgtg1.jpg

1996 Finest Gold Tony Gwynn. 1:24 packs, and getting a gold refractor was 1:288 packs. It's safe to say I didn't beat the odds on that break.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
AndruwHRJones said:
George_Calfas said:
AndruwHRJones said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1xpgo11e]
AndruwHRJones said:
Thanks to jeffv96masters for the free grade in his contest! The only gem from the whole set so far.

Looks like that little defect was acceptable for BGS, nice grade on a tough card.

Just below his left foot, appears most of these have a blemish where the dufex is not complete.

Oh, I see what you are talking about. Is this issue on ALL of the platinum gold test issues or just the Andruw Jones? Fandruw25 and I have 10 of the 30 between us and most of ours have this defect and it appears indented into the card in most copies. Almost like something small was on the printing plate when these were printed. The copy I had graded however was not indented. It may not appear in the scan, but the defect spot is dufex texture, it just doesn't follow the pattern correctly. With only 4 total of these cards being graded by BGS, I highly doubt they are even aware of this small defect. Either way, even if they did notice, I would hope it wouldn't have knocked my surface grade below a 9 because the dufex didn't follow the same pattern.[/quote:1xpgo11e]

Jones1998PGPSA.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
George_Calfas said:
AndruwHRJones said:
[quote="George_Calfas":2b851j7z]
AndruwHRJones said:
[quote="George_Calfas":2b851j7z]
AndruwHRJones said:

Just below his left foot, appears most of these have a blemish where the dufex is not complete.

Oh, I see what you are talking about. Is this issue on ALL of the platinum gold test issues or just the Andruw Jones? Fandruw25 and I have 10 of the 30 between us and most of ours have this defect and it appears indented into the card in most copies. Almost like something small was on the printing plate when these were printed. The copy I had graded however was not indented. It may not appear in the scan, but the defect spot is dufex texture, it just doesn't follow the pattern correctly. With only 4 total of these cards being graded by BGS, I highly doubt they are even aware of this small defect. Either way, even if they did notice, I would hope it wouldn't have knocked my surface grade below a 9 because the dufex didn't follow the same pattern.[/quote:2b851j7z]
[/quote:2b851j7z]

The dent/missing dufex is much more noticeable on your card then on AndruwHRJones. here's my copies of the card, which you can clearly see in all of them.

98Select.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Philip J. Fry said:
Not really an insert but still a somewhat tough pull in 1996.

96finestgtg1.jpg

1996 Finest Gold Tony Gwynn. 1:24 packs, and getting a gold refractor was 1:288 packs. It's safe to say I didn't beat the odds on that break.

One of my favorite Gwynn cards! Beautiful!!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Re: "RARE" 90's Inserts.... #2

gwynn5453l4u said:
Dear "Rare" 9o's Inserts Thread #1,
I miss you so much. Since I first met you on Aug. 31, 2008 you have been my best friend. I miss your warm touch, your soft breath, and funny little giggle you'd do when someone posted a 2000's insert instead. I could always count on you, "Rare" 9o's Inserts Thread #1, I hope you realize what you mean to me. You've made me a better collector... a better man... a better human. I'll always remember our good times: the 1994 UD all star Jumbo GOLDS, the 1997 Pinnacle X-Press Swing for the Fences Upgrade, the 1998 SPx Finite Spectrum Power Explosion, heck, I'll even miss the 1993 Ultra Award Winners even though they weren't rare, nor really cool, nor exciting.
Goodbye old friend. I hope you rest easy. "Rare" 9o's Inserts Thread #2 will never be like you!
I love you.

Gwynn5453l4u

Dear "Rare" 90's Inserts #2,
You are kind of cute. Check out my new card that Magicpapa found for me!
punch.jpg
Sincerely,
gwynn5453l4u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online