Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
That's pretty amazing. How long have you collected Larkin?

Thanks - I started collection him when I was 9 - the year they won the world series in 1990. But I didn't start really spending money and collecting him big time until I went to college in 2001. I have been off and on since then. I collected him very heavily from about 2002-2007, took a break for 2 or 3 years and came back in 2010. I have been hitting it harder than ever the last 2 years now that I finally have a good career and have the money to spend.

I used to have whole collection of over 100,000 cards, but I sold off everything except for the Larkins in 2007. I almost sold my Larkin collection too in 2007, so glad I didn't now! I love collecting and I would have regretted that the rest of my life.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Really cool. So you got a good jump on being able to get a lot of his cards as they were coming out. I wish I would have known what I was doing with my cards growing up. I still have tons of cards from the 90's in a storage unit in San Diego. I don't even know what I have in there. Haven't seen them in 7 years. Going to go down there next month and see what's in there.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Here's my mail day for today. Took me 7 months of searching to find the Caminiti international refractor

imgaw.jpg

budvandall

Mar 11, 2012
Myrtle Beach, SC

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Did they by chance have a 1990 street/smith upper deck sheet #3? That is the only sheet I need.

Doesn't think he had a duplicate of that one. I got lucky because he actually collects UD promo sheets, but he happened to have 2 of that particular one that I needed! I will ask him though next time I talk to him.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Nice A-Rods! just wondering, since I don't follow his prices much, how have they changed over the past few years, especially after the PED story and ESPN book?

My question would be what are his cards going to do if he reaches and eclipses Ruth, Aaron, and Bonds? Granted Bonds, from what I can tell, isn't through the roof on stuff except for the mega rare cards but who knows.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Brian - I checked my LCS on Thursday. Sparse on the caminitis. I dug thru the padres box and the Astros box. Was really hopin I'd miraculously find your press proof. Sorry man...

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Thanks for looking. Do you have an email addy? Maybe you can look over my want list just in case you run into something. I should call around to some shops in the Houston area to see if they have any Caminiti cards hiding some where. Last time i went to San Diego (last year), I went to the card shop I grew up going to in Downtown. I talked to the owner (hadn't seen him since I was a kid, kinda of a funny story.) I asked him if he had any Caminiti cards. He pretty much just said "whaaaaaatttttttttt, what do you want those for?" He dug around and found a bunch of autos I needed at the time and cut me a nice trade/cash deal for them.

I just picked up some rare ones from Ebay. Between all the sites I go to now (Ebay, COMC, beckett marketplace, sportsbuy, sportslots). Only Burbank holds two Caminiti cards I don't have. Pretty crazy to think there isn't much more for me to add now 8 months after I started the collection.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for looking. Do you have an email addy? Maybe you can look over my want list just in case you run into something. I should call around to some shops in the Houston area to see if they have any Caminiti cards hiding some where. Last time i went to San Diego (last year), I went to the card shop I grew up going to in Downtown. I talked to the owner (hadn't seen him since I was a kid, kinda of a funny story.) I asked him if he had any Caminiti cards. He pretty much just said "whaaaaaatttttttttt, what do you want those for?" He dug around and found a bunch of autos I needed at the time and cut me a nice trade/cash deal for them.

I just picked up some rare ones from Ebay. Between all the sites I go to now (Ebay, COMC, beckett marketplace, sportsbuy, sportslots). Only Burbank holds two Caminiti cards I don't have. Pretty crazy to think there isn't much more for me to add now 8 months after I started the collection.

Oddly enough, if you are looking for rare or even semi rare astros stuff, or astros alumni, it's hard to find here. Only guy I know who might have something like that would be Jay's Emporium. But the dude is based in Victoria , Texas and getting him to dig through his stuff is next to impossible. He seems to be a lot more content with selling base commons of astros and old astros programs and oddballs. I'll keep an eye out for ya. Guy at the Old Ballpark might have a Caminiti stash but it took me a little over a year to get him to break out a miniature Bagwell stash of which I needed like 3 or 4 cards. He was cool about it but I could tell he felt it was a monumental waste of time to have dug for them and only make like $10 off of his effort.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Appreciate it if you keep an eye out for me.

Here's my 85-95 want list. You would think these would be easier than shi*t to find but I haven't even seen these cards yet. 96 and beyond gets a lil more complicated with the serial numbered stuff. The 98 Topps Tek Diffractors is what takes up the biggest portion of my want list. I only have 4 out of the 90 so far.

1985 Osceola Astros Team Issue #17 Ken Caminiti
1988-89 BYN Puerto Rico Winter League #80 Ken Caminiti
1988 Tucson Toros Jones Photo #3 Ken Caminiti
1989 Astros Smokey #7 Ken Caminiti
1990 Astros Lennox HSE #5 Ken Caminiti
1991 Panini French Stickers #9 Ken Caminiti
1992 High 5 #38 Ken Caminiti
1992 Score/Pinnacle Promo Panels #20 Alex Cole#{Jim Gantner#{Ken Caminiti#{Todd Stottle
1994 Osceola Astros Anniversary Team Issue #2 Ken Caminiti
1995 Donruss Press Proofs #472 Ken Caminiti 2000

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Okay...the first 6 on your list and maybe the 1994 Osceola Astros anniversary Team Issue might be found at Jay's emporium. He is kinda hard to persuade to dig through his stuff but these kind of oddballs are right up his alley. You can contact him....http://myworld.ebay.com/jays-emporium

As far as the 92 score promo panels, I've seen 3. Two featured Bagwell I was able to snag one. The other I can't remember who was on it. But judging from the players on yours, it shouldn't cost a bundle. These things aren't super expensive. They just never seem to come up for sale. As far as the High Five, I think me and you have the same problem. What we need to do is find the astros team set which should have both cards in it. I've only ever seen and currently own the all star version which if I remember correctly, Bobotai sent me a sealed one and I have several singles I have found over the years. I have thus far never seen the regular issue version. Maybe if either one of us finds a sealed team set, we can help each other out.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Thanks. I just e-mailed him. I got bored tonight and checked the beckett marketplace and just picked up the 1999 Black Diamond Quadruple up for 5 bucks : D

Members online

Latest posts