Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pettitte to Retire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
zach said:
Personally, I'm glad. He had a great career, but he's not the same Andy he was from years ago. He served the team well but it was definitely time to move on.
Not the same? He was having one of his best seasons ever last year until he got hurt and he was good in the playoffs last year.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
elmalo said:
zach said:
Personally, I'm glad. He had a great career, but he's not the same Andy he was from years ago. He served the team well but it was definitely time to move on.
Not the same? He was having one of his best seasons ever last year until he got hurt and he was good in the playoffs last year.

OK...if you say so. I don't agree.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
zach said:
elmalo said:
zach said:

He was. Sorry

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
elmalo said:
zach said:

He was. Sorry

So would you guys consider '07, 08 and 09 great seasons or simply ok?

This is like saying Jeter's career is done because he had one bad season.

Andy is still great because he COULD HAVE had a great season if he didn't get injured?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The Yankees pitching will be very thin if he doesn't return. Since they didn't get Cliff Lee they might be wiser to use this as a "rebuilding" year similar to what Boston did last year.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
zach said:
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
elmalo said:
zach said:

He was. Sorry

Andy is still great because he COULD HAVE had a great season if he didn't get injured?
I totally agree with you about Jeter. He had one bad year, and it wasnt even a bad year. He had a bad year for him. I happen to think he will bounce back.
I was just pointing out that Pettite was having a great season last year until he got hurt and he came back and pitched very well in the post season. He had a hell of a post season in 09, and he was good from 07-09, not great, but certainly better than anything that they have right now to replace him.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
James52411 said:
The Yankees pitching will be very thin if he doesn't return. Since they didn't get Cliff Lee they might be wiser to use this as a "rebuilding" year similar to what Boston did last year.
I agree with you. But I think even with a thin rotation they still at least win the Wild Card. One problem, if you want to call it that, is the Yankees dont do rebuilding years.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
elmalo said:
James52411 said:
I agree with you. But I think even with a thin rotation they still at least win the Wild Card. One problem, if you want to call it that, is the Yankees dont do rebuilding years.

+1...as a Yankee fan i'd be fine with that.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
jdacunha said:
elmalo said:
James52411 said:

+1...as a Yankee fan i'd be fine with that.
hahahaha...thats bc you dont want them to trade Montero!

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
elmalo said:
zach said:
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
elmalo said:
[quote="zach":1rrvsxrj]Personally, I'm glad. He had a great career, but he's not the same Andy he was from years ago. He served the team well but it was definitely time to move on.

He was. Sorry

I totally agree with you about Jeter. He had one bad year, and it wasnt even a bad year. He had a bad year for him. I happen to think he will bounce back.
I was just pointing out that Pettite was having a great season last year until he got hurt and he came back and pitched very well in the post season. He had a hell of a post season in 09, and he was good from 07-09, not great, but certainly better than anything that they have right now to replace him.[/quote:1rrvsxrj]

I can agree that he is better than what they had/have now.

monty01

Nov 6, 2008
Was he a great clutch pitcher absolutely but I dont believe he gets the call from Cooperstown.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
elmalo said:
zach said:
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
elmalo said:
[quote="zach":3hoofx28]Personally, I'm glad. He had a great career, but he's not the same Andy he was from years ago. He served the team well but it was definitely time to move on.

He was. Sorry

I was just pointing out that Pettite was having a great season last year until he got hurt and he came back and pitched very well in the post season. He had a hell of a post season in 09, and he was good from 07-09, not great, but certainly better than anything that they have right now to replace him.[/quote:3hoofx28]

Bad year? He had one of the Worst Seasons EVER by a player making $20 million that year. Maybe the WORST ever. It is not like you are talking about a 28 year old shortstop making $1.5 million here. Jeter is getting old folks, he is NOT going to be getting better anytime soon. He is getting slower, losing range, and obvisouly his hitting skills are deteriorating.

skrip

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
ballerskrip said:
elmalo said:
zach said:
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
[quote="elmalo":q536ua75][quote="zach":q536ua75]Personally, I'm glad. He had a great career, but he's not the same Andy he was from years ago. He served the team well but it was definitely time to move on.

He was. Sorry

I was just pointing out that Pettite was having a great season last year until he got hurt and he came back and pitched very well in the post season. He had a hell of a post season in 09, and he was good from 07-09, not great, but certainly better than anything that they have right now to replace him.[/quote:q536ua75]

Bad year? He had one of the Worst Seasons EVER by a player making $20 million that year. Maybe the WORST ever. It is not like you are talking about a 28 year old shortstop making $1.5 million here. Jeter is getting old folks, he is NOT going to be getting better anytime soon. He is getting slower, losing range, and obvisouly his hitting skills are deteriorating.

skrip[/quote:q536ua75]
And he hit 340 the year before.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
zach said:
vwnut13 said:
zach said:
elmalo said:
zach said:

He was. Sorry

He pitched in 21 games, went 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA. Before he got injured, he was 11-2 and 2.88 ERA. He had an excellent season, EVEN THOUGH he got injured.

James52411 said:

They'll have the highest payroll in baseball during a "rebuilding" year. It sucks being an Indians fan.

Jesusmontero

Mar 5, 2009
I feel like Pettite's decision is going to decide Montero's fate and Unfortunately it looks like Pettite is gone so I wouldn't be surprised if Montero is gone in a few months.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
monty01 said:
Was he a great clutch pitcher absolutely but I dont believe he gets the call from Cooperstown.

I don't think so either. There just isn't much on his résumé. He was only an AS three times. (Once in 2010, although from what I hear he had a terrible season). The only award he ever won was 2001 AL ALCS MVP. He had a great career, won 4 WS rings and made $125 million. But even if he comes back in 2011 and has the best year of his career, I don't think he's HOF material...

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Jesusmontero said:
I feel like Pettite's decision is going to decide Montero's fate and Unfortunately it looks like Pettite is gone so I wouldn't be surprised if Montero is gone in a few months.

The Yankees will not trade Montero for an old washed up starting pitcher. Sure they offered him for Lee...ok I would have too. I am sure they will offer him up for King Felix, but that probably only get's the M's to answer the phone. It will take a lot more talent for Felix. The Yankees probably won't accept any offer they make. They traded Lee because he was gone either way.

Name some starting pitchers that are available that the Yankees would offer Montero for? Not many.

Members online