Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Project Topps 2020...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkd7

Jan 7, 2014
This Trout is pretty cool too

0035-froxxxxxxx54nt-ap.png

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Seems like I'm in the minority, but I really dig these. I'm only chasing the Griffey's though, which I think have been a bit cleaner than some of the others I've seen released.

I missed the first release by artist King Saladeen and now they're going for $200+ on ebay which seems crazy for a $20 card that isn't a low number limit run.

It's also becoming frustrating that in addition to the known limited release silver frames and gold frames versions, each artist is making their own variances. For instance Griffey's second card by artist Tyson Beck has a version with a neon auto by the artist only visible under black light, an emerald auto version and silver auto version. The third release by artist Matt Taylor has an artist proof xx/20 version. It's impossible to track what the full scale of each player is when they do things like this.

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
Seems like I'm in the minority, but I really dig these. I'm only chasing the Griffey's though, which I think have been a bit cleaner than some of the others I've seen released.

I missed the first release by artist King Saladeen and now they're going for $200+ on ebay which seems crazy for a $20 card that isn't a low number limit run.

It's also becoming frustrating that in addition to the known limited release silver frames and gold frames versions, each artist is making their own variances. For instance Griffey's second card by artist Tyson Beck has a version with a neon auto by the artist only visible under black light, an emerald auto version and silver auto version. The third release by artist Matt Taylor has an artist proof xx/20 version. It's impossible to track what the full scale of each player is when they do things like this.

Yup, I missed the first release as well and now I have almost zero chance of getting one. I’m hopeful to get the rest but no way I’m shelling out for the alternate versions.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The artists have been buying their own copies to mark up and resell. They don't get copies for themselves from Topps (apparently they offered a really stingy deal to the artists) so any copies sold by the artists are included in the stated print run.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Guess we all should have bought them just to re-sell them.

Like a lot of sports memorabilia, especially cards taking off in prices during the lockdown and big time press, especially on ESPN.com, Their popularity online has soared with last weeks both being the most produced ones.

Most were $20 originally and are selling on eBay for $400-500. Some not even in hand yet...

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I dont recall seeing anything like this with resale prices. It's crazy. Are there people paying many multiples of original price for these?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
For those of you wondering about these and the "crazy" pricing, here's the story of the Gwynns, and may be able to use this sample as what's been happening:

card #16 Oldmanalan Gwynn pr: 1302, price went as high at $1200, now back to $500
card #24 Grotesk Gwynn pr: 1441, price went as high as $1000, now down to $300-$500
card #40 Naturel Gwynn pr: 2319, price went as high as $700, now down to $200
card #64 Vides Gwynn pr: 3368, price went as high as $500, now down to $150
card #94 Efdot Gwynn pr: 31030, just came out Thursday.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
For those of you wondering about these and the "crazy" pricing, here's the story of the Gwynns, and may be able to use this sample as what's been happening:

card #16 Oldmanalan Gwynn pr: 1302, price went as high at $1200, now back to $500
card #24 Grotesk Gwynn pr: 1441, price went as high as $1000, now down to $300-$500
card #40 Naturel Gwynn pr: 2319, price went as high as $700, now down to $200
card #64 Vides Gwynn pr: 3368, price went as high as $500, now down to $150
card #94 Efdot Gwynn pr: 31030, just came out Thursday.

Wow!

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Anyone have an extra of the Griffey by Saladeen that they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? It was the first Griffey released and I missed it, I've picked up the other 6 issued to date. $250-$400 on ebay is crazy for a card run that high.

chippernate

Anyone have an extra of the Griffey by Saladeen that they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? It was the first Griffey released and I missed it, I've picked up the other 6 issued to date. $250-$400 on ebay is crazy for a card run that high.
You may want to try on twitter if you haven’t yet. I’ve seen some buy/sale threads specifically for project 2020. You can always tag @hobbyconnector too, include a price point and it should auto-retweet you

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Two days ago, I finally got my George Brett Grotesk from mid-May. Yesterday, I got another package from Topps. It was....a George Brett Grotesk. Anyone else get a double shipment? And does this mean someone out there just didn't ever get theirs?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When the Fucci Trouts went live, lots of people reported getting double shipments, but they all came at the same time, not 6 weeks apart. I don't recall similar numbers of people saying they didn't get theirs, so chances are they printed a lot extra. That was around the time the set was really exploding, print runs were rising, and the types of cases they used changed. I have a suspicion they changed or added outsourcing for packing and were careless about it so people got shipments from both sources. Or else there was a major screwup in the shipping process and they shipped to the same people twice. Though that doesn't explain why they would have so many extras to ship. I'm sure they overprint a little as is standard procedure, maybe all the replacements got shipped accidentally.

The way the print runs exploded, surely to levels they never would have expected, maybe it was inevitable that things got messed up.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Has anyone received a 1/1 gold frame? I've followed the Griffey's since the beginning, 8 have been released and I've only seen one gold frame show up on Ebay. No bids at a $5k listing.

Makes me wonder if people who have no idea what they've received are lucking out with the gold frames, most of the purchases of the Griffey's from Topps seem to be dealers looking to make $5, or people casually involved in the hobby. There certainly aren't 5,000 die-hard Griffey collectors out (the print run of his cards).

Members online

Latest posts