Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PSA 10 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I have 2- PSA 10's of a card but the centering is very off from top to bottom on one while it is 50/50 top to bottom and left to right on the other one. Yet they both received the same PSA 10 grade. I tend to prefer PSA 10 graded cards to BGS 9.5 cards but now I'm not so sure thinking that at least they list the subgrades on the BGS graded cases. Does anyone know how PSA goes about grading cards as opposed to Beckett?

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
No two graded cards are equal since there's a certain tolerance within each grade. Some 8's look like 10's and some 10's look like 8's, just how it is since it's subjective to the grader.

mjda

May 2, 2012
This is from PSA's website:

A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card.

Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

For more info about their standards, see this page: https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards#cards

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Put up a picture of your card that is "very off-center".

As to "how," everyone does it the same. They look at it for about 3 seconds and give it a number.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
I have 2- PSA 10's of a card but the centering is very off from top to bottom on one while it is 50/50 top to bottom and left to right on the other one. Yet they both received the same PSA 10 grade. I tend to prefer PSA 10 graded cards to BGS 9.5 cards but now I'm not so sure thinking that at least they list the subgrades on the BGS graded cases. Does anyone know how PSA goes about grading cards as opposed to Beckett?

Post pics of them. Let see how off centered they are.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Here is the first one that was graded a PSA 10. Notice how the centering is very off from left to right.....

Attachments

• graceglossy101.jpg
    graceglossy101.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 14

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
And here is the second one that received the same PSA 10 grade but is centered 50/50 all around.

Attachments

• graceglossy102.jpg
    graceglossy102.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 9

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I will still likely prefer PSA 10 graded cards over BGS 9.5 but I think that centering is definitely something to look for because obviously not all PSA 10's are the same.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
They look pretty close. The first one seems to be a little heavier on one side only by about a millimeter, and probably not enough to exceed the centering guidlines for a 10. If a card is OC in 2 directions it will not gem, but I don't think that's the case here.

Members online

Latest posts