Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And now for something completely different. I scanned the entire 1998 Pinnacle Uncut "card", which measures in at 13" x 19". My scanner could only do 1/4 of the card at a time, so it took a while to merge the images. But it turned out OK. The starburst background and dufex uniforms make such a nice design.

1998 Pinnacle Uncut 13 x 19 #183.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
And now for something completely different. I scanned the entire 1998 Pinnacle Uncut "card", which measures in at 13" x 19". My scanner could only do 1/4 of the card at a time, so it took a while to merge the images. But it turned out OK. The starburst background and dufex uniforms make such a nice design.

View attachment 344987
I have the Frank Thomas. If I recall, a lot of them I saw had some duzex issues (bubbling).

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah they are fraught with condition issues. Mine had little imprints on the sides from where the tabs on the cardboard frame pressed against the card for 20 years. Also little creases and bubbles.

I should send it to PSA just to screw with them. They have never graded a copy from this set, so they would have to design and manufacture a new giant slab to hold a 13" x 19" card, just to grade my copy as a 3 :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I was driving down I-25 the other day, and for no good reason I was pondering the most obscure cards in my collection. The ones only found in the fringes of decent society, in the deepest recesses of the dark web. The ones that only goths and hipsters know about.

I've probably mentioned one or two of these before, but here they are anyway. Cards like these give me just as big a charge as landing most of those rare 90's inserts.

Today's post:
2018 Sobeys Promotional

Sobeys is a Canadian supermarket chain, and apparently they had some sort of promotional signing with Robbie Alomar in 2018. For which they printed some giveaway cards. And one of them popped up on ebay. I haven't seen another one for sale since, so they must have been pretty limited. Really glad to have a copy.

2018 Sobeys Blue Jays Promo #NNO.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
1993 Collector's Chronicle Magazine

One of the rarest "magazine" issues of the early 90's, where enterprising printers started selling packs of cards disguised as publications. RBI was a particularly bad one, with "articles" written by nameless authors that just regurgitated things everyone already knows. But I digress.

Apparently Collector's Chronicle only had one issue, and the checklist is here:
I've never seen a copy of the actual magazine, or an uncut sheet of cards, but I do have both versions of the Alomar card. The normal card has gold foil with a print run of 7500, and the silver version had a print run of 750. I've had these since the year they were printed but don't remember where I got them from. Could have actually been from @tpeichel

1993 Collector's Chronicle #9 PR 7500.jpg

1993 Collector's Chronicle Silver Foil #9 PR 750.jpg

Attachments

• 1993 Collector's Chronicle #9 PR 7500.jpg
    1993 Collector's Chronicle #9 PR 7500.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1993 Collector's Chronicle Silver Foil #9 PR 750.jpg
    1993 Collector's Chronicle Silver Foil #9 PR 750.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 5

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
And now one of the most obscure variations from the junk wax era, the 1991 Topps "pink number" card. The first scan below is the normal card, second is the pink number. With the normal card, the card number and Topps logo on back are not colored, they are just the same cardboard color as most of the card back. On the second those areas are colored pink, just like the rest of the banner containing the player's name and personal bio info.

1991 Topps #315 UV Glow Back.jpg

1991 Topps #315 UV Glow Back Pink Number.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
And now one of the most obscure variations from the junk wax era, the 1991 Topps "pink number" card. The first scan below is the normal card, second is the pink number. With the normal card, the card number and Topps logo on back are not colored, they are just the same cardboard color as most of the card back. On the second those areas are colored pink, just like the rest of the banner containing the player's name and personal bio info.

View attachment 345279

View attachment 345280

Interesting. Do you know if all players have this pinkness?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
The 1992 Pinnacle Promo.

The base card is first, followed by the promo. The differences are minute. On the promo, the "SECOND BASE" text on the front is not aligned with the white box around the player, and the TM's by the Pinnacle logo and the team name are slightly smaller. I know the promo card is a promo because I bought a dealer promo set with 8 cards, and studied them versus the base cards. These little changes must have been made at the very end of the design process, before printing the packed out cards.

I wrote more info about this and other early 90's Score/Pinnacle promos on another thread here, but thought I'd post this one here to just for the hell of it.

1992 Pinnacle #45.jpg
1992 Pinnacle Promo #45.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
The 1992 Pinnacle Promo.

The base card is first, followed by the promo. The differences are minute. On the promo, the "SECOND BASE" text on the front is not aligned with the white box around the player, and the TM's by the Pinnacle logo and the team name are slightly smaller. I know the promo card is a promo because I bought a dealer promo set with 8 cards, and studied them versus the base cards. These little changes must have been made at the very end of the design process, before printing the packed out cards.

I wrote more info about this and other early 90's Score/Pinnacle promos on another thread here, but thought I'd post this one here to just for the hell of it.

View attachment 345291
View attachment 345292

I love this one because of the subtle differences.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was driving down I-25 the other day, and for no good reason I was pondering the most obscure cards in my collection. The ones only found in the fringes of decent society, in the deepest recesses of the dark web. The ones that only goths and hipsters know about.

I've probably mentioned one or two of these before, but here they are anyway. Cards like these give me just as big a charge as landing most of those rare 90's inserts.

Today's post:
2018 Sobeys Promotional

Sobeys is a Canadian supermarket chain, and apparently they had some sort of promotional signing with Robbie Alomar in 2018. For which they printed some giveaway cards. And one of them popped up on ebay. I haven't seen another one for sale since, so they must have been pretty limited. Really glad to have a copy.

View attachment 345261
Love stuff like this!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

View attachment 345279

View attachment 345280
Did you scan the same card twice? I am not seeing a pink number/logo. Maybe my eyes are failing me?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I love this one because of the subtle differences.

Yeah, I do too.

There's another obscure unmarked promo from 1993 Leaf. Base card is first, promo is second. On the promo, the player's name is closer to the Leaf logo. No idea how many players were in this promo "set", but COMC sold listings show Mattingly and Gonzalez.

1993 Leaf #245 Gold Foil On Back.jpg

1993 Leaf Promo #245.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This just in today, a sell sheet from 1996 Pacific. Apparently Robbie was their golden boy that year - they included him on the sell sheet, on the wax box, and issued a promo card with him on it.

The promo card is not marked, but can be identified by the back which lists 128 games played (instead of the correct 130 which is listed on the pack-issued card), and a larger photo on the reverse.

1996 Pacific Sell Sheet #NNO.jpg

1996 Pacific #450.jpg

1996 Pacific Promo #450.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Eureka!

I found a previously unknown card from the early 90's. 1993 to be exact. It's almost unthinkable that a card from 30 years ago has existed this long without me knowing about it, but apparently these things do happen. Just goes to show you.

The homes is pictured on the back side of this card from Topps Magazine, commemorating the Blue Jays world championship from the year before.

1993 Topps Magazine #TM-99.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Can someone explain to me the current craze for 1998 Metal PMG cards? Why this set in particular? They're cool, but are they that much cooler than every other 90's insert?

The Alomar just sold for $1826, the highest I've ever seen for one of his cards.

It's not a graded card, but it sold for twice the price of a recent 1999 Fleer Brilliants 24kt PSA9, and triple the price of a recent 1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold PSA9. There are even two 1998 Crusade Reds available from our favorite hostage holder, vintagesnowmobiles, that have sat on ebay for years, priced at $1300 and $1600. I always considered those three inserts to be higher on the Grail Scale than PMG's, but apparently I'm in the minority now.

Looking through ebay sold listings, I see that even replacement-level players are fetching ungodly prices. How long has this been going on?

I got my copy probably 4 years ago, around $100 if memory serves. Had no idea at the time how fortunate I was.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts