Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rolling Brett Butler collection thread: Marlins game-worn uniform 8-10-16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I'm usually very excited to obtain items from the Vault. Today's mail brought what should be my 6th Butler contract, although I'm not fully convinced. The first 5 (1988, 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994) I obtained were on full-color Topps letterhead and printed on a heavier paper stock. All 5 were co-signed by Philip J. Carter.

This new one is from 1989 and bears Sy Berger's signature. I didn't bother looking at the provided picture as I have never had a negative experience with Topps - everything was 100% legit. A quick glance at my scans will show that there is one contract that is black & white, and is in fact a photocopy on regular ol' paper stock. Butler's sig looks to be original (hard to tell in my scan - looks better in person and under magnification), but I'm not completely sure. I sent a message to Topps through eBay to see what they have to say. If it proves to be what they actually used when he renewed in 1989, then I indeed have my 6th contract.

Compare this to the other contracts earlier in the thread

33cugxj.jpg

Awesome! I would be like you for anything from Topps Vault. No reason to suspect anything foul. When I saw this, my first instinct would be different circumstances (Brett comes into office vs. getting it sent through mail) or maybe there are diffeent copies from different departments (Sy's dept. not special enough to have color copies)? Maybe every time they sign a color copy, and "xerox" copy, and you've been real lucky in the past?
Regardless, coming from the Vault, it's amazing! Congrats!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Maybe they were out of color letterhead at that point and used a cheaper version?
no, it's definitely a photocopy. Here was the response from Topps:

Thank you for your purchase. We agree that the contract as well as Sy Berger's signature appears to be photo copied as were many of the contracts with his signature. However, we do believe Brett Butler's signature to be authentic. If you do not find the quality of the contract to your satisfaction, we will be willing to accept a return and issue a refund. Please let us know your thoughts.
In light of that response (which is pretty much what I expected), I'm thinking of asking of they will significantly reduce the price of this: http://www.topps.com/autographed-1996-brett-butlertopps-baseball-card-contract.html

I'm going to ask if they'll sell it to me for what I paid for this (mostly) photocopied piece. Thoughts?

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Personally, as long as the Butler signature is original, and not a photo copy, I would keep it (looks cool to me...). Then I would see if they would consider a reduction on the other contract listed on their site. I don't think it's going anywhere at $125. Of course I could be wrong I really don't know what his contacts go for, but typically they list a high price on "everything", at least initially, on their site.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I've been looking for one of these for a long time. I was able to land this for less than I was anticipating. Pretty stoked to add it to my collection. This puts me at:

1983 Braves game used jersey
1991 Dodgers game used jersey
1992 Dodgers used practice jersey
1995 Mets used practice jersey

15n9mx2.jpg

684vgj.jpg

v4xqaw.jpg

23itm4i.jpg

2iue549.jpg

167uoao.jpg

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Congrats ! Nice collection you have going. How long have you had the 83' for ?

Ryan
I've had it for a couple of years, Ryan. I was sure I had posted pictures somewhere - I'd have staked a bit of money that it would have been in this thread, too.

15qzrxl.jpg

suxamo.jpg

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
WOW! A GU Jersey is always one of the coolest items to acquire in a collection. That is a great looking jersey. Also, LOVE the Braves jersey as well.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
1985 Topps 4-color mask film negative, which was used in the set's printing and proofing process. This piece was used for the magenta tone.

ohv3pf.jpg
243kqpc.jpg

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
The Topps proof items are very cool items to acquire. Now, do they have "several" of the mask negatives for all of the different colors of the card? If so, would they all just look black? I'm probably just lacking in the whole card production process even though it's been explained in several threads I've read over the years.

By the way, do you have any pictures of your collection displayed? If so, would love to see it. I think that sky blue Braves jersey would have to be a centerpiece (Along w/the contract w/Hanks' signature)!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Got a couple more items from the Vault today. These are back color separation proofs, cyan and magenta.

stadium94TVcyan_B121.jpg
stadium94TVmagenta_B121.jpg

I already had a couple of these which featured two of the four colors on each. Here's the "rainbow" so far:

Cyan, Cyan/Yellow, Magenta, Magenta/Yellow
stadium94TVcyan_B121.jpg
stadium94TVCY_B121.jpg
stadium94TVmagenta_B121.jpg
stadium94TVMY_B121.jpg

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Topps Proofs

Got a couple more items from the Vault today. These are back color separation proofs, cyan and magenta. I already had a couple of these which featured two of the four colors on each. Here's the "rainbow" so far:
Cyan, Cyan/Yellow, Magenta, Magenta/Yellow

Those color separation proofs are so cool! Really like your PC; great stuff...

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I haven't been this excited for a Butler mailday in quite a long time. This pickup surpasses probably everything since The Contract arrived in 2009 (last scan in the post) and the game-used 1983 Braves jersey in 2012-ish. Now don't get me wrong. I have loved every one of my Topps Vault arrivals - they're so cool, y'know? But this one. I've been looking for it for 17 years. Most veteran 80s/90s player collectors know exactly what it means to land a card that should be easy to find, but NEVER comes up. I'm sure every one of us has several of these so-called "White Whales" on their list.

So last week I was doing one of my several-times-a-day Butler searches. I've gotten to where it takes me maybe 10 seconds to go through the new listings, regardless of how many there are - and sometimes there are surprisingly quite a few. It's literally been years since anything besides a goofy error or obscure variation pops up (I have a separate seller-specific search for Topps Vault items), so I almost missed this one. I actually scrolled right past it, paused, scrolled back, stared at the listing maybe five seconds or so... pulled up my list to verify that my eyes weren't deceiving me... I'll be darned. It really IS one of my White Whales.

$9.99 BIN/BO. Best Offer? BEST OFFER? F*** that! Buy it NOW!! Pay for it NOW!!

Okay, enough buildup, dummy. Let's see the card already.

Here it is. The 1998 Score Team Collection Los Angeles Dodgers Platinum Team parallel. Elusive for 17 years (and believe, I've looked, and looked, and looked, and looked some more), but no more.

2eewra0.jpg

13z020y.jpg

Okay. Now where the heck are you, 1997 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Sweet congrats !

The 97 Score Premier Rangers Team Issue Will Clark is one of my top MIAs

And I'm with you on the 97 Diamond Edition , I missed out on one within the last year as they were quicker to the BIN. Tough lil puppies. Besides that one , what's next on your list ?

Ryan

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Ryan, besides that PI Diamond, these are probably tops on my list:

* 1995 Score Gold Rush redeemed
* 1997 Score Dodgers Team Collection Premier Club

There are a few others I need, but most everything else is either a 1/1 or a "it might exist... but it might not" card.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ryan, besides that PI Diamond, these are probably tops on my list:

* 1995 Score Gold Rush redeemed
* 1997 Score Dodgers Team Collection Premier Club

There are a few others I need, but most everything else is either a 1/1 or a "it might exist... but it might not" card.

Same type of list , same 3 as you and add in the 98 Zenith Gold. Then the 98 Golden Ann Ref/5 but that one makes sense. Damn 90s cards! ;)

Good luck w your chase !

Ryan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts