Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ruh Roh, Vick Wants a Dog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEAVYHITTER

Oct 31, 2008
JackLondon said:
Yes, he has fulfilled his legal obligation. Hurray for him.

Does this change the fact that he is a walking pile of garbage? No.

Does it piss me off that he is being rewarded and glamorized? Yes.

Should he have had a lifetime ban from the NFL? ABSOLUTELY YES.

Is there any excuse for his behavior? No.

Do I believe that he would still be fighting/killing if he hadn't gotten caught? Of course he would.

He should be cleaning out men's rooms along the interstate for less than minimum wage and reporting into a PO every week, instead of being showered with adulation for his ability to play a freaking game.

Sickening situation, but not surprising.

When did this thread become about RAY LEWIS?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
HEAVYHITTER said:
JackLondon said:

Do I believe that he would still be fighting/killing if he hadn't gotten caught? Of course he would.

He should be cleaning out men's rooms along the interstate for less than minimum wage and reporting into a PO every week, instead of being showered with adulation for his ability to play a freaking game.

Maybe I'm missing something...what was he convicted of?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
lisu said:
ffgameman said:
What's more sickening, in my opinion, is Donte Stallworth. HE should be banned from the NFL, not Vick.

Vick committed a horrible crime yes - but so have other athletes who continue to play. Vick appears to be a changed person since serving his time, and hopefully is. But, he's a walking pile of garbage forever, so that changes nothing. :shock:

How is what Donte Stallworth did sickening?

He went out clubbing was drunk, took a taxi home, and then went back to get his car in the morning.

He hit a man who was jaywalking on a big highway.

He probably would have had the same thing happen if he had been stone cold sober.

He accepted his punishment quietly, paid a settlement to the man's family, and was not charged because of the fact that it could not be proved that he was 100% in the wrong because the man was jaywalking and running across the street.

I would say Stallworth was more in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't realize that he was still intoxicated by the law because he slept off his intoxication. I could see this happening to ANYONE, and that was an accident. Mike Vick went out and killed dogs for his "business". Sorry - you can't compare the two.

The problem is he was under the influence.

What's to say that if, had he been sober, he would not have hit and killed the man?

And I apologize if I did not know the entire facts behind his situation - I simply thought he was plain intoxicated and hit a man as a result.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
ffgameman said:
lisu said:
ffgameman said:
What's more sickening, in my opinion, is Donte Stallworth. HE should be banned from the NFL, not Vick.

Vick committed a horrible crime yes - but so have other athletes who continue to play. Vick appears to be a changed person since serving his time, and hopefully is. But, he's a walking pile of garbage forever, so that changes nothing. :shock:

How is what Donte Stallworth did sickening?

He went out clubbing was drunk, took a taxi home, and then went back to get his car in the morning.

He hit a man who was jaywalking on a big highway.

He probably would have had the same thing happen if he had been stone cold sober.

He accepted his punishment quietly, paid a settlement to the man's family, and was not charged because of the fact that it could not be proved that he was 100% in the wrong because the man was jaywalking and running across the street.

I would say Stallworth was more in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't realize that he was still intoxicated by the law because he slept off his intoxication. I could see this happening to ANYONE, and that was an accident. Mike Vick went out and killed dogs for his "business". Sorry - you can't compare the two.

The problem is he was under the influence.

What's to say that if, had he been sober, he would not have hit and killed the man?

And I apologize if I did not know the entire facts behind his situation - I simply thought he was plain intoxicated and hit a man as a result.

From reading about all the facts and the fact that the court threw out the murder charges, it was pretty clear that he was just barely over the limit, and it was the morning after he partied. He made a mistake in that he didn't wait longer until he was under the limit for intoxication, but I don't think his being over the limit contributed to hitting the man. The police placed blame also on the pedestrian for running out into the street trying to catch a bus. It was a causeway, so it was a street where the speed limit was 45 or 50 if I recall correctly. That is why the DA did not press murder charges. Stallworth accepted blame, stayed with the hit pedestrian, was contrite and compensated the family rather than them taking him to civil court and pleaded guilty to DUI Manslaughter. It's a totally different situation than Vick's.

Also, this was also reported:

A Yahoo! Sports story published August 12, 2010, reported that Stallworth's lawyers indicated he could have fought all charges with "an excellent chance of being found innocent," but that Stallworth chose to be convicted of a felony to do what he felt was morally right. The article later notes that David Cornwell, one of Stallworth's attorneys, felt there was irony in the reaction to Stallworth's decision because the public and media criticized the plea deal without knowing the full story

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Rickzcards said:
What idiot grows up in this country and doesn't think or realize that it is wrong to fight dogs to the death? I guess we have found out the answer. Given the terms of his probation he shouldn't have a dog. But if he insists on having one then they should only allow him to have a chihuahua, pomeranian, or some other small girlie type of dog. I'll bet if that was his only option then he wouldn't want one as it would affect his tough guy/thug image.

I've taught high school kids that realize less. It's not hyperbole that I had a classroom of 14-15 year old boys that thought an insult in their direction was grounds to beat the hell out of someone. If someone beat on you? That was grounds to potentially try to kill them. Like I said.....I'm really not over-stating that, had a few kids locked up during the course of my student-teaching semester. The justification for such misguided thought - usually is something along the lines of "that's how it is".
After you see a portion of the public (especially at that age) that has little to no regard for human life and has such a small world view, it's not really a stretch to think some people may not care at all about animals and are simply ignorant to how the majority of people feel. Sad thing also, I wouldn't say lots of the kids I taught were inherintley "bad". ultimately they have to live with their decisions, but they really are mirroring those around them.

*Should say - No matter what his upbringing was, I don't and no one should condone Vick's actions and he deserved his penalty. Simply (and sadly) it's not shocking someone could have thought that way.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
It wasn't about dogfighting with Vick, it was about GAMBLING on dogfighting. He gambled in AC and at the tracks as well.

That doesn't make what he did any less terrible. His actions tortured and killed dogs.

But to compare keeping him away from owning a dog to keeping a child molester away from children is stupid.

If anything, a better thing to do would be to keep him away from gambling on anything. That was his true "disease"

HEAVYHITTER

Oct 31, 2008
Card Magnet said:
HEAVYHITTER said:
JackLondon said:

Maybe I'm missing something...what was he convicted of?

Well, he did give false statements to police to protect friends by omitting their names from being in the limo.
The the outcome from his little party in Atlanta is that a limousine sped away, gunshots were fired at it, and Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar died from multiple stab wounds.
But since then he turned on his friends in court to save himself, and become a man of god so we can all continue to worship him as a football player and he can continue to make commercials and lots and lots of money.

Just all the talk of Vick, there are other dudes in the league that were forgivin for **** just as bad and worse...

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
Considering the dog would be treated like a king I'm all for him getting another. As a matter of fact, let him adopt 15 of them.

B

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
JackLondon said:
He is a worthless piece of crap.

"Human" only by scientific/biological standards, but a disgusting individual.

What he did should not be forgiven or forgotten.

A true oxygen thief.

AGREED!!!!

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
JackLondon said:
ffgameman said:
JackLondon said:
He is a worthless piece of crap.

"Human" only by scientific/biological standards, but a disgusting individual.

What he did should not be forgiven or forgotten.

A true oxygen thief.

I don't get this.

What he did do was despicable, no doubt. Watch any Animal Planet "cop" show and you will see how disgusting this can get. I have a dog, and love him very much.

But - at times our society seems more harsh on animal killers than human killers!

Vick did wrong, served his punishment, and has overcome it. What more can you ask?

Back to the OP, I agree he should not own a dog. That was a term of his sentence.

Do people automatically toss out the "people are more important than animals" argument every time Vick's name comes up? Yes.

Do I believe that he would still be fighting/killing dogs if he hadn't gotten caught? Of course he would.

Agree with everything you have said Andrew! He should have never been let out of jail and should never have been let back into the NFL. He was convicted for dog fighting and a number of other things. Should he have another dog, HELL NO!!!! If he was willing to do it at one point, he has a liklihood of doing it again in the future. He is a waste of space! Why do people give him a second chance! He does not deserve it, people that commit crimes against animals get off way to EASY!!!

yankeefan812

Aug 12, 2008
Dville Ghetto
Wow some people on here are being ridiculous. I understand the severity of his crime, it was a horrible thing to do. He went to jail, he served his time, and it's done with. From the looks of it he learned from his mistake and is moving forward as best as he can. It's not like his life is perfect now, he's paid a big price. He's still hated and he's broke. He's making the best of his second chance in the NFL. Give the guy a break. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say he's a walking piece of trash of ludicrous. However, I'm not so sure getting a dog would be the best idea.

Members online

Latest posts