Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So why aren't your 1991 cards worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
IMO, even though there may be four million of every card, how many of those have been messed up, thrown away by people disgusted by their valuelessness, or cards ruined sitting in storage units out in the heat for years and years? I know there is still a lot out there but I know a lot of people who have just thrown this stuff away or given it to kids who practically ruin it because it's pretty much worthless. Eventually, it'll get hard to find in nice condition at the very least.

Think about a set like 93 fleer or any of the stadium club cards from 91, 92, or 93. Those things stick together in packs badly now. Not to mention they are mostly found being sold by sellers out at flea markets and such who've had this stuff in their garage or storage units forever. The cards are ruined. Stuck together like cardboard bricks.

The general value of these cards and the conditions they are kept in is an enemy that may increase their value.
Buy em ep! lmao...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The other side of this is, how many are sitting in boxes, unopened?

That was my point. There are tons sitting unopened at my flea markets everywhere. I know guys who've been selling at flea marktes for years. They leave the stuff in there or in their attics or garages. It gets well over 100 degrees here in the summer. And it's humid as hell. How good a shape do you think they are in?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Buy em ep! lmao...

I don't have to. I have had my fill. I'll let the dealers throw them all away or ruin them in the heat and cold and humidity. Of course, in 20 or 30 years, I won't be looking for any either. But somebody might. I know it's a crazy idea that they may gain in value. But can you really disagree with the fact that they are continually ruined every day?

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Predator that argument could be made for any card. How many morons you see on the roads everyday?
How many of those morons have offspring at home who collect? Just sayin ....

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Predator that argument could be made for any card. How many morons you see on the roads everyday?
How many of those morons have offspring at home who collect? Just sayin ....

Nah, I getcha. I just think with these being pretty much worthless, they will get tossed. To me, that equals, some time down the road, possible value. Just a guess. Hell, I picked up my sets for $10 a pop like a good boy and went on my merry way. Now I've moved on to way more challenging tasks for sure. But even with today's base sets, who the hell keeps the base except set builders and IP graphers? There are people literally throwing them away. At some point, that has got to catch back up with the hobby value wise. Maybe not. I just feel it will.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Most folks throw away even the modern base cards. I routinely go thru mine and get rid of the guys
that were one hit wonders. I have seen guys rip boxes at a shop grab there hits and walk out the door.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Only 4 million per, no exaggeration - sounds low to me.

I think you could destroy every card from opened product out there and there would still be enough of this stuff out there in unopened material where it would be only slightly more valuable than it is today.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Only 4 million per, no exaggeration - sounds low to me.

I think you could destroy every card from opened product out there and there would still be enough of this stuff out there in unopened material where it would be only slightly more valuable than it is today.

That's assuming the stuff that is still sealed is in good shape. A lot of it may be. A lot may not. I know a couple of guys that had to throw out a crapload of it after Allison hit here back in 2001. Hell, just about anywhere along the coast is susceptible to hurricanes or flooding. You know nobody is piling all of their 1991 topps boxes into the back of their SUV.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Most folks throw away even the modern base cards. I routinely go thru mine and get rid of the guys
that were one hit wonders. I have seen guys rip boxes at a shop grab there hits and walk out the door.

Yep. I agree. When that happens en masse, would those cards not be hard to find? Especially on newer stuff that isn't produced in such high numbers?

Members online

Latest posts