Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some ebay fun...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

I notified the seller. let's see if they are trying to pull a fast one or really didn't know!

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 1.11.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-25 at 1.11.49 PM.png

Then there is this one that ended a few weeks ago. What the F??? This, my friends, is why BUY IT NOW is foolish!!! Why are you in such a hurry to snag $10-15 when this could happen? I hate BIN, mainly because I never find the good ones first. I see the ones I missed and think the seller could have made out if not for their foolish choice to set a "reasonable" BIN instead of seeing what the auction route would do for them.

I like this design and try to buy any semi decent player on the cheap. I was hoping I could snag Lackey for under $10. He had a decent career and was a 1X AS. Nothing special, but solid pitcher who won 188 games in a 15 year career. $426 later, and this seller was dancing the victory dance for sure! Bet he/she wished they had a 2nd copy to offer up to the underbidder. I know I would have.

Lackey 2001 Golden Au.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
and let's add this one. I won't show the seller, but you can easily see for yourself. It's an active listing. What is wrong with people these days? Everything is now a golden ticket?

$200 for a Steve Garvey autograph numbered to 25? His 1/1s autos RARELY top that. I am just so tired of this kind of stuff going on in the last year or two. Sellers and buyer alike have gone nuts. I am so ready to stop buying cards all together and just stick with my oddball ephemera. If that isn't enough, $10.20 s/h will probably fire you up. Wanna bet this comes in a 1st class padded mailer because after all, sellers have expenses you know!

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 1.21.37 PM.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Jesus, I need to quit while I am ahead....Have no idea what is actually sold for because of ebay and their secretive ways now, but I asked the seller in hopes they might share. The ask is way off base, but then again maybe it isn't anymore and I need to update my expectations. This is worse than 2005, and that was stupid crazy.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I know the Topps Chrome Black cards are pretty popular so that doesn't really surprise me. With the Lackey...I know some of the cards from that set are really tough to find so maybe it was some set collectors going wild?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That baseball looks like a printed, novelty ball to me, not a ball with real signatures on it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The seller of the ball looks like they do all kinds of stuff, not specifically sports. They thanked me for my message and pulled the listing, so probably just didn't realize it was not hand signed.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Jesus, I need to quit while I am ahead....Have no idea what is actually sold for because of ebay and their secretive ways now, but I asked the seller in hopes they might share. The ask is way off base, but then again maybe it isn't anymore and I need to update my expectations. This is worse than 2005, and that was stupid crazy.

View attachment 316575

Terapeak shows it sold for $550.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had let me seller ID slide after ebay was pushing for adding a bank account. I decided I would see how things were going and listed a few items (w/o adding my bank account quite yet). I guess in order to collect your funds, they would require it, but allowed me to list w/o doing so.

One item I listed was a pretty rare oddball food issue. So as not to give it away, but still test the waters, I listed it in auction format with a high opening price ($800) and activated best offers. Now to ME an auction with best offer enabled means that I want at least the opening price, but you are free to offer more now to potentially end the listing and win the item outright. I don't think most of the world sees it that way though. If not, why wouldn't I just list it at my price with a BIN/BO. That, again to ME, means I would love to get my BIN price, but I am willing to consider lower offers. I guess it is all in the way you see it.

Anyway, I let it run for 3-4 days and got 1 offer (less than opening bid price). No bids. The rest of what I listed was $1 oddball items, also with BO. I know the action usually comes at the end, but after those 3-4 days, I have 7 watchers and no bids. That is not the issue however. I saw on a facebook page that someone was bitching about the ebay fees and I guess it occurred to me that most of my items are small $ and I never really sold anything large. I looked up the fees and saw that in the sports memorabilia category (they vary by category, by the way, if you didn't know), is 12.35%.

That means ebay takes almost $100 for my item right out of the gate. Then I'd take the paypal hit of almost $30. I am down to $670 for the item I listed at $800. I still need to package, ship and hope that there are no issues on the buyer end. I decided that it wasn't worth it, especially considering I'd still need to go and load my bank account to get paid. I decided to end all of my auctions early, since none were obligated for me to sell at this point.

I understand what ebay gives me for the fees they charge, the widest possible buying audience of any website I am aware of. Still, it was the reality of how big of a piece comes off the top on a high dollar item that stood out. I guess when I sell a $15 or $20 item, I don't notice the couple bucks they take. Still the same percentage, but much less noticeable (to me). it all adds up in the end, but this was a bit of a wake up call. This makes the thought of trying to sell my stuff eventually even worse! I'll probably just need to bite the bullet and know that a fat chunk of my proceeds will go to fees, taxes and such.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I had let me seller ID slide after ebay was pushing for adding a bank account. I decided I would see how things were going and listed a few items (w/o adding my bank account quite yet). I guess in order to collect your funds, they would require it, but allowed me to list w/o doing so.

One item I listed was a pretty rare oddball food issue. So as not to give it away, but still test the waters, I listed it in auction format with a high opening price ($800) and activated best offers. Now to ME an auction with best offer enabled means that I want at least the opening price, but you are free to offer more now to potentially end the listing and win the item outright. I don't think most of the world sees it that way though. If not, why wouldn't I just list it at my price with a BIN/BO. That, again to ME, means I would love to get my BIN price, but I am willing to consider lower offers. I guess it is all in the way you see it.

Anyway, I let it run for 3-4 days and got 1 offer (less than opening bid price). No bids. The rest of what I listed was $1 oddball items, also with BO. I know the action usually comes at the end, but after those 3-4 days, I have 7 watchers and no bids. That is not the issue however. I saw on a facebook page that someone was bitching about the ebay fees and I guess it occurred to me that most of my items are small $ and I never really sold anything large. I looked up the fees and saw that in the sports memorabilia category (they vary by category, by the way, if you didn't know), is 12.35%.

That means ebay takes almost $100 for my item right out of the gate. Then I'd take the paypal hit of almost $30. I am down to $670 for the item I listed at $800. I still need to package, ship and hope that there are no issues on the buyer end. I decided that it wasn't worth it, especially considering I'd still need to go and load my bank account to get paid. I decided to end all of my auctions early, since none were obligated for me to sell at this point.

I understand what ebay gives me for the fees they charge, the widest possible buying audience of any website I am aware of. Still, it was the reality of how big of a piece comes off the top on a high dollar item that stood out. I guess when I sell a $15 or $20 item, I don't notice the couple bucks they take. Still the same percentage, but much less noticeable (to me). it all adds up in the end, but this was a bit of a wake up call. This makes the thought of trying to sell my stuff eventually even worse! I'll probably just need to bite the bullet and know that a fat chunk of my proceeds will go to fees, taxes and such.
Yeah, the fees are a killer. I've been trying to get my numbers ready for tax purposes. To help you figure your deductible expenses (fees + shipping), Ebay has a breakdown of the amount of $ you sold in the past year, and then what you actually netted after those two figures are taken out. After they take out their cut and after you take out the cost of the shipping labels (which doesn't include the cost of shipping materials), it was literally 25% of your total sales!

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI

View attachment 316575

Go to 130point.com they still seem to have the final real offer sales prices when you use their Search eBay sales function

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Now to ME an auction with best offer enabled means that I want at least the opening price, but you are free to offer more now to potentially end the listing and win the item outright. I don't think most of the world sees it that way though. If not, why wouldn't I just list it at my price with a BIN/BO. That, again to ME, means I would love to get my BIN price, but I am willing to consider lower offers. I guess it is all in the way you see it.

It's off the main point but I just wanted to agree with this, I never considered the possibility of offering below the minimum bid on these. This option seems like the new "legal" replacement for secretly messaging somebody and offering them a certain dollar figure to end it early and sell off eBay.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
It's off the main point but I just wanted to agree with this, I never considered the possibility of offering below the minimum bid on these. This option seems like the new "legal" replacement for secretly messaging somebody and offering them a certain dollar figure to end it early and sell off eBay.

I don't generally offer below Minimum Bid on an auction listing unless it's just some ridiculous number like $500 for a card that sells regularly for $100 or something.

I've bought tons of stuff below Buy It Now price by using the Best Offer option though. Lots of sellers will list stuff for absurdly high BINs hoping someone will impulse buy them and will generally come well down on their price through the Best Offer system.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes a Bin listing with best offer is literally the seller asking you to offer a lower price. Sometimes the seller won’t accept much below BIN, but often they will. I often wonder why they even sell something this way though. Unless it is reverse psychology. Most of these are overpriced and the BO is more in line, but sometimes someone is selling a BIN/BO at a great BIN price. The risk is sending an offer and waiting before someone else just hits BIN. Been there before!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just chanced a BIN/BO at $45. I think the BIN was decent, but chanced it and sent an offer of $38 to see what would happen. They countered with $41, so I saved $4. i would have paid $45. I'll share it on my Dodger + other stuff thread when it arrives.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It's a facsimile autographed ball, so those signatures are usually taken from their rookie contract and a lot of times those signatures don't match up to current day signatures. Same goes for the facsimile auto's on Bowman products.

Members online

Latest posts