Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Serious Thread: What do you not like about FCB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
If you can't get some useful feedback in 15 pages worth of posts, then you know what the problem is.

Yeah people who have 200 posts in a year telling others how to run a site that was successful before they came here.

I love this ban everyone idea. Seems its a great way to drop the numbers around here and make a few ladies really happy so they can chat about knitting.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
For those calling for separation of traffic. Further dilution of forums cannot happen, ever. It is the death-knell of a website such as this and quite possibly the worst thing we could ever do.

I know it's annoying to see a thread that does not interest you, but having a forum for every little niche would mean that all the niches would die. This isn't reddit who has the user base to accomplish that kind of division.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Yeah people who have 200 posts in a year telling others how to run a site that was successful before they came here.

I love this ban everyone idea. Seems its a great way to drop the numbers around here and make a few ladies really happy so they can chat about knitting.

How do # of posts equal credibility? Their are complete jack$$es here, with zero brains, with 1000's of posts. I'd take a person with 200 posts, who may have experience in running a company, problem solving, and people skills. This whole posts equal forum cred is one of the numerous fallacies that hurts these boards. Maybe the problem, is that many of the older guys have become a-holes over time and instead of welcoming people to the site, to help it grow, act like COLLECTING ELITE jerks and run them off. This is the norm on sports chats as well. "lol, a newb arguing with me". It's the same damn argument.

There are thousands of sports card collectors with more experience than any of us, great collections, more work experience and education, who don't even know this message board exists. They'd be more helpful to cg than most of us. Unfortunately when they do find out, they read a few threads and leave. Over the last few years, I have recommended this site to several people at local shows or stores. Of the few I see repeatedly, I don't think any have joined. They just stay as guests and get info when the need it. They either say to much drama or a waste of time fighting through the garbage to get what they need.

The only thing CG needs to separate or change, would be a new forum for all the people who want to argue and XXXXX all day about everything. Give it a fancy forum title, so they all feel proud. This forum has become like my wife's family. For years, they were always joking and trying to out smart a$$ each other. They were all also, very competitive and wanted to be the winning jacka$$ off the family. I told my wife for years, her family was a ticking time bomb. It blew up a few years back. 4 different aunts and all the family underneath each, none of them talk any more. Their mom died last year and 2 aunts attended the funeral and the other 2 and families all stayed away. This all happened because they acted like many on this board.

This forum will grow, be fun and informative, and thrive if existing members start to add something to it. When that happens, the newbies will feel welcome and start to add to it as well. Unless that happens, fcb will become the forum, many came here to get away from.

Right now, fcb is still relevant, useful, and sometimes even fun. It would be cool to see it even get even better.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
How do # of posts equal credibility? Their are complete jack$$es here, with zero brains, with 1000's of posts. I'd take a person with 200 posts, who may have experience in running a company, problem solving, and people skills. This whole posts equal forum cred is one of the numerous fallacies that hurts these boards. Maybe the problem, is that many of the older guys have become a-holes over time and instead of welcoming people to the site, to help it grow, act like COLLECTING ELITE jerks and run them off. This is the norm on sports chats as well. "lol, a newb arguing with me". It's the same damn argument.

So according to your logic lets use the company Apple for a second, Apple should turn off all Apple ipads cause 1 guy who borrowed one 2x's says it would run faster? Stop it. They should listen to the suggestion and if it don't make sense move on.

And I am sorry this whole being mean to new members just isnt true, I see plenty of people with less than 300 posts making productive posts besides BAN EVERYONE I DONT AGREE WITH CAUSE THEY ARE MEANIES. Or Lets make this place look like SCF with 9 billion sub forums.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I have always been of the belief that if someone is an owner or a moderator of a forum that's their form of providing for themselves, I think that it's a better idea for the mods and admin not to post at all. It can only create trouble. But that's my point of view, and I like it here.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
So according to your logic lets use the company Apple for a second, Apple should turn off all Apple ipads cause 1 guy who borrowed one 2x's says it would run faster? Stop it. They should listen to the suggestion and if it don't make sense move on"

Of course u dont shut them off, but what if he is correct, leaves and creates a new/better product and makes that company millions. This happens all the time. New people new ideas. Been around a long time. For years baseball GMs had to be the old guys, until an ownwer trusted a new guy. Cashman and theo did pretty well. They had zero posts.

My post wasnt an attack on u, just the one point. I don't think you r the problem around here.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com while sitting in a spa on my day off.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Kids jacked up the spa.uploadfromtaptalk1360594952802.jpg

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I like to think that my over 20 k posts are quality and hobby relitive ok maybe just 20 of them are and what's the number of post a person have matter anyway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

Dude, you can go smoke a big, fat, sweaty cigar. It doesn't take a genius or 30,000+ posts to know what's going on around here. You just have to be a dick and sling a bunch of $#!T around. It really is quite simple.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Dude, you can go smoke a big, fat, sweaty cigar. It doesn't take a genius or 30,000+ posts to know what's going on around here. You just have to be a dick and sling a bunch of $#!T around. It really is quite simple.

Seems like there are now more posts of people complaining about "mud slinging" than actual posts with "mud slinging" in them. The funniest thing about it is the ones who are just SOOO offended and say they won't be back. Where are they going to go, BO? lol BO has more mud slinging than a pigsty. PSA? Not as diverse as FCB. NET54? Not nearly as diverse as FCB. SCF? Worst discussion board on the net. BMB? A close second to SCF in terrible discussion. So I ask again, where do they go?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I have always been of the belief that if someone is an owner or a moderator of a forum that's their form of providing for themselves, I think that it's a better idea for the mods and admin not to post at all. It can only create trouble. But that's my point of view, and I like it here.

I personally think that [MENTION=4618]James52411[/MENTION] has the best posts in the whole wide world. I celebrate the guy's entire catalog. Accordingly, your post is the worst suggestion in the history of the universe, and likely in all possible alternate universes.

Last edited:

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Seems like there are now more posts of people complaining about "mud slinging" than actual posts with "mud slinging" in them. The funniest thing about it is the ones who are just SOOO offended and say they won't be back. Where are they going to go, BO? lol BO has more mud slinging than a pigsty. PSA? Not as diverse as FCB. NET54? Not nearly as diverse as FCB. SCF? Worst discussion board on the net. BMB? A close second to SCF in terrible discussion. So I ask again, where do they go?

I'm guessing CG's goal here is to get info that will help lead to FCB growing, getting better, and thriving into the future.
The people that leave, probably leave message boards all together or just guest the boards when info is needed.
FCB represents a fraction of total sports cards collectors, why not try to create an environment, that can handle much more?
Would that be a benefit? Or should FCB be happy to just remain small and keep it's core happy?(nothing wrong with this)
This is what Cg has to decide.

I agree with your point of more people are complaining about the bickering than there is actual bickering. But I think all the crap has lead to an
environment, where everyone is defensive and ready to throw down. If you make a typo, it's a race to see who can point it out first.

The other boards have their problems and I agree that FCB has always been the better option, but FCB seems to be heading in a similar direction in many
ways. Why not try to correct it and make it stronger.

I think most of want the same thing. A fun site, with bunch of great people, to share our hobby with and sometimes teach or learn from.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Separating them doesn't mean you can no longer read about that stuff...it just means you have to navigate a couple extra mouse clicks to find it. It would be nice if you knew exactly where to find it because it was organized and so you wouldn't have to sort through a bunch of crap you could care less about.

I know, but it does mean I have to navigate to a bunch of different forums to read about it. I am a one stop shop kind of guy. I want to click on the Baseball forum and read and discuss prospects, vintage, HOF, how the Marlins have 4 people in line to buy season tickets ect. It is fairly easy to scan over the threads that you have no interest in and move on.

Getting more collectors engaged in all topics feels like a win to me.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Is there anything that suggests that I haven't received any useful feedback?

I was actually asking a question, but since you answered my question with a question of your own, I'll try to answer that. The top 7 complaints were:

19 people dislike @$$hole comments/trolling/bickering/personal attacks
10 people dislike the broken quotes link
9 people dislike that the forums aren't divided further or reorganized to some extend
8 people dislike the prospect heavy focus
8 people dislike the lack of traffic/transactions
8 people dislike the phone app problems
7 people dislike the new format

+ random dislike for the clock, lack of feedback on the site, lack of contests, lack of celeb participation, 1-word comments, lack of awards or recognition
+ a crap ton of rude comments (including one from myself)

You can't really do anything about the @$$holes and personal attacks, the prospect heavy focus, or the lack of traffic/transactions, so ignore those. You said you won't divide the forums further, so ignore that. That leaves you with:

broken quotes link to the profile
phone app problems
dislike for the new format

Since you really shouldn't need a bunch of people to tell you the broken quotes and phone app problems should be fixed (since those are technical problems and even 1 single complaint should be enough for you to want to fix it), that leaves you with:

Change the format again!

I'm not sure that's something you want to bother with, but I could be wrong. Ultimately, if you were looking to tackle some major issue that a good majority of members wanted addressed, I'm not sure that this thread really helped you identify one of those types of issues. Perhaps adding more contests, getting a celebrity to join, or handing out awards are suggestions you'll look into, but again, those suggestions don't really echo the sentiment of the vast majority.

In short (yeah right!), you received plenty of feedback but I'm not so sure it was useful because it points toward the fact that the biggest problem of this site (and all others like it) is that there's a lot of negativity, which is something you can't (and I don't think you would want) to do anything about.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012

I'm not sure if you were directing that at me or not, but if so, I never said I'm going to quit and go elsewhere. I'm a member of SCF and BO and I'm perfectly aware that every forum has rude comments. I can handle it. I'm not immune to making rude statements myself.

I just thought nyc's statement was completely *******, idiotic, and lacked legitimacy, hence my reply. If he DOES think his statement is true, then he must also think that because 12 year old girls send an average of 4000 text messages on their phones every month, and I only send 20 at most, then 12 year old girls are more qualified to run telecommunications company than I am. Last I checked, Harvard doesn't hand out degrees based on how many posts a student makes on the University forum. And I'm sure Chris didn't learn how to do this just by posting comments on the old Beckett boards...he's probably been educated or self taught himself OFF the boards at some point along the way. Seriously dude (nyc) ...think before you speak.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm not sure if you were directing that at me or not, but if so, I never said I'm going to quit and go elsewhere. I'm a member of SCF and BO and I'm perfectly aware that every forum has rude comments. I can handle it. I'm not immune to making rude statements myself.

I just thought nyc's statement was completely *******, idiotic, and lacked legitimacy, hence my reply. If he DOES think his statement is true, then he must also think that because 12 year old girls send an average of 4000 text messages on their phones every month, and I only send 20 at most, then 12 year old girls are more qualified to run telecommunications company than I am. Last I checked, Harvard doesn't hand out degrees based on how many posts a student makes on the University forum. And I'm sure Chris didn't learn how to do this just by posting comments on the old Beckett boards...he's probably been educated or self taught himself OFF the boards at some point along the way. Seriously dude (nyc) ...think before you speak.

Don't take it personally. Let your posts speak for themselves. You seem to have a god head on your shoulders, so just ignore posts that you believe are meant to disparage you. Those are the posts that are looked down on by the majority, not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts