Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Serious Thread: What do you not like about FCB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
WHATS NOT TO LIKE????
freedomtrophy.jpg

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
This. Thanks for saving me the typing!

The super sweet 90s thread is the reason I came here and most of the reason I stay. Those are the kind of threads that help the community and encourage participation. Morning threads, though I'm not active in them, are cool too. And threads that talk about current events in baseball or even prospects are great.

Pissing matches, call out threads, and private investigator threads are what turns me off to FCB.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Either I can speak freely here or I have to be put in a can and handle people with kid gloves.

I wont be posting if its the latter.

I'll preface this by saying I don't know you at all, beyond a short phone conversation from earlier this summer when picking something up at your store. All I'm going off is that statement.

Are you saying you lack the ability to self-moderate between absolute freedom and candy-coated answers, or is it that you are unwilling to?

I would imagine that if you are interested in a message board community that exists between the extremes of unfiltered, often ad hominem speech and uninteresting "everyone is right at the same time" candy blather, you should probably exemplify those traits as the community 'leader'/'host'.

I've found in situations in which I've been either empowered or in a position when I am an example to others (neither of which were situations I entered intentionally), I've done a lot better when I sublimate my ego, and allow other people to get the last word in, and not make people the butts of jokes.

I'm not saying you are meant to be a role model here, but since it is your site and you want to get and keep more members, having the personal attitude of "if you can't take my personality, then leave" could turn that sentiment into the de facto motto of the site. That, I think, would be counterproductive both for getting new people to join as full posting members AND for monetizing the site to the extent you can/do.

These are, of course, only thoughts based off of the above expressed sentiment, which is a little odd coming from someone who is the de facto head of the board. I may be misinterpreting (likely), but it just struck me as worth asking about.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking there is basically nothing I dislike about FCB. The membership is a small fraction of the stupid and childish that is BO, 10+ times more hobby-educated and interesting than the membership at SCF and BMB and much more hobby-diverse than the membership at NET54 and PSA.
The trouble makers that everyone seems to be relentlessly complaining about are few and FAR between when compared to other boards, so I simply don't get what the big complaint is. The board functionality is nothing to complain about, on a home computer anyway (I don't use it on a smart phone).
I don't trade or sell on forums, so I'm sure that could be better based on what people say. Other than that, I don't EXPECT giveaways and I certainly don't EXPECT Chris to "entertain" me. Isn't that what the membership is for. This is a trading card message board, not a free internet hobby fun zone paid for by Chris. WE make this place what it is, and it's on US to make it better if we want it better.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I'm sorry I'm confused at this point. Are you playing the victim or the aggressor right now? You switch so frequently no one can keep track.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

Still unsure as to what you're talking about. Carry on, though, if it amuses you.

It's funny that even a thread like this shows the prevalent, unnecessary, unneeded name calling and hostility that some members carry.

It's sad, really.

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Seriously I don't see mods acting like that.

Sadly I have to re-cant my earlier Agree T. Just saw a cheap Mod post in the FT section that just adds to the lame, long list of people from the "other" site that just pop up once in a while, mostly to take shots.

They always come off Kinda sad really...

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Either I can speak freely here or I have to be put in a can and handle people with kid gloves.

I wont be posting if its the latter.

So, I'm going to piss all over everyone I want to and if they don't like it, leave.

Mmmmmmkay. Can't say I'd do the same if this was my investment, but it seems to be working out for you.

In all seriousness, I was/am concerned for his safety. There were a few messages that really indicated, to me, some warning signals. I hope the kid's okay.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Still unsure as to what you're talking about. Carry on, though, if it amuses you.

It's funny that even a thread like this shows the prevalent, unnecessary, unneeded name calling and hostility that some members carry.

It's sad, really.

I'll accept your plea of ignorance and leave it be.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I just had a bad problem. I cleared out my cookies and it took away my log in here. it isn't a problem to just re-log back in but FCB would not let me. I know I did it right but after 5 tries it would not let me in. So I requested my name and password sent to me but you have to play some stupid game to prove you are a human. I had to put sheep in a cloud. It didn't work at all. I did a refresh and I had to put a b-ball in a hoop and that didn't work at all for me. Something is wrong there. luckily I retryed again to log in and it let me. but what if it didn't let me?????

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
This site is a great cross section of America. In times of peace we bicker and knit pick each other. When we have an enemy we rise to arms. Look at the ud awards from awhile ago. We rose to the occasion and aligned ourselves to the board. Prospectors, vintage, player collectors, and ******** alike!

To the bickering speaking only for me and not out of a defensive position but I personally am never going to change how I post. I'm positive when I see something I like, Im standoffish when I see things I disagree with, and I'm blunt when I see something I don't like. If anything I say offends you.. You have options ignore it, report it, block me, respond, or sit on a cake. If the mods or Gilmore take issue with something they can let me know.

Another thing stop taking XXXX so personal. It's the mother loving Internet.

You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better.

As far as those who think that prospecting and HOF collecting need to be separate, I completely disagree. If anything that will just divide things even more, and reduce traffic. We are all collectors and that is the bottom line. I like reading the daily MILB performance thread just as much as I like reading about someone's pre-war pick-ups.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I'm wondering if the OP feels like he received any useful feedback during the last 15 pages. If not, maybe that fact alone speaks volumes more than any post could have. If you can't get some useful feedback in 15 pages worth of posts, then you know what the problem is.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better.

As far as those who think that prospecting and HOF collecting need to be separate, I completely disagree. If anything that will just divide things even more, and reduce traffic. We are all collectors and that is the bottom line. I like reading the daily MILB performance thread just as much as I like reading about someone's pre-war pick-ups.

Separating them doesn't mean you can no longer read about that stuff...it just means you have to navigate a couple extra mouse clicks to find it. It would be nice if you knew exactly where to find it because it was organized and so you wouldn't have to sort through a bunch of crap you could care less about.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Separating them doesn't mean you can no longer read about that stuff...it just means you have to navigate a couple extra mouse clicks to find it. It would be nice if you knew exactly where to find it because it was organized and so you wouldn't have to sort through a bunch of crap you could care less about.

This is good. Truth be told very few people in our hobby collect or invest or are interested in everything.

In this great age of the interwebs, few people like having content (especially advertisements!) they're not interested constantly pushed in front of their faces. Some (many?) posts do have the strong feel of advertising/selling/always pushing something - especially from certain people.

As I said earlier, there are ways to tag content such that someone only sees the content they're interested in seeing just like there are ways to not see posts from specific people.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
there are some things that people whine and XXXXX about this place. mostly little things that annoy them. all in all this place rocks. i was so happy to find it after beckett died. i have had so many members go out of there way to help me enjoy this hobby. can it be better sure, but its a great place to learn about the different parts and people in this hobby and have fun doing it. just my 2 cents.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm wondering if the OP feels like he received any useful feedback during the last 15 pages. If not, maybe that fact alone speaks volumes more than any post could have. If you can't get some useful feedback in 15 pages worth of posts, then you know what the problem is.

Is there anything that suggests that I haven't received any useful feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts