Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Serious Thread: What do you not like about FCB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I would like to see the return if the "Collector of the Month" profile. Always nice to read the questionnaire from other collectors.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I would like to see the return if the "Collector of the Month" profile. Always nice to read the questionnaire from other collectors.

Not to be a dick but why don't you bring it back then? Serious question. Half the reason the place is falling apart is because we are all waiting for Chris to do it all. We have free reign to make half the suggestions in this thread a reality on our own.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'll admit that this is the first time I have logged in and posted something in roughly 6 months. I haven't actively kept up with the hobby in approximately the same time period. A combination of factors drove me away from this place. First, pharmacy school has been keeping the majority of my spare time occupied, which isn't a good thing, it's a great thing. Secondly, the unfriendly environment just became a complete turn off. There's no reason why FCB should be a stressing environment. That's what I try to escape from by logging in here. About a week or so ago, I logged in ebay for the first time in what seems like months just to see how a couple of prospects card were doing since it's approaching spring training. I then logged into FCB, and I have to say, I'm shocked at how lacking this board is in content now. Even those interested in prospects are few and far between, and it's basically Christmas season for prospectors.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
So, my thoughts on the state of this board…
I’ve been a member for a little over a year now. I found this by googling “baseball card message boards”. Blowout looked like a damn zoo. Here looked a touch more mature. I didn’t check out any of the others. I lurked for about a year and a half before joining up, primarily doing so because a lot of PC guys were being pulled and prospected.
I joined for the trades and because without a collector community, the hobby sort of loses something of its enjoyability. I would certainly still collect VU if I had no one to show it to, but having interested folks helps. From what I can tell, the best part about here is the generosity of some members, and the worst part is the pettiness of others. In that sense it is exactly like every other community. What makes it bad and what makes it great are the people. I’ve been able to add some very unique items to my PC from members via trades and sales, and hopefully have helped others with their hobbies.
I am not a huge fan of the new formatting, but hey, the internet is a miracle of modern technology. I’m reminded of the Louis CK line—oh, its taking some time? Could you give it a second to go to SPACE AND BACK?
In terms of board splitting…NO. I’m a member of another board that has recently experience a tremendous amount of growth (think an increase of about 300% over two years…James Franklin:Vanderbilt::Strasburg:Baseball Cards). There was a division on that board that parallels this one. Some folks were into discussing the games but not recruiting, and some folks really liked recruiting. So, the mods there created a general sports talk board and a recruiting board. Honestly, the site has suffered.
What I really like is that there are HOF collectors, Player Collectors, Prospectors (and people like me that do a little of all three) all talking to each other about the various aspects of the hobby. I think that the young prospectors can learn from vintage collectors and vice versa.
Now I have not experienced any of the trolling or egging on (I think one member said Mike Minor was a bad pitcher. I got over it) that some have, and I have no personal vendetta against anyone here (and can’t foresee one coming up, really). I think some are quick to jump down throats, and I think the Leaf issue is really divisive.
I do not like people using terms like “woman” to refer to someone who doesn’t like personal attacks, and the term “rape” to refer to having bad luck with baseball cards is ridiculous. Rape Rape is when someone uses you as a sexual object without your consent. Bad luck with baseball cards involves frustrated expectations and buyers remorse.
All in all, great board. I’ve been debating a BO accountjust to trade, but I get the sense that most of the folks there just sell, and would probably ask for too much in trade. It also helps that I have a very small level of competition for Vandy guys.

TL;DR version: great site, I love the differences in perspectives and opinions on the hobby. Clean up some of the stupid language, and for goodness sake don’t split the boards. Oh, and tell me when you have cool VU guys.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
Not enough set collectors I really only collector topps sets and wish there was more traffic in the set collector section seems like base topps gets overlooked for chrome though

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Several people have mentioned how cool it would be to get some players who collect to join the FCB community. That would be pretty awesome. I don't have any connections or anything but I know there are plenty of players who are hobbyists and could probably be reached on Facebook or Twitter or something. I don't have any accounts on any social networking sites anymore, but I'm guessing if enough of the FCB members who DO have access to Facebook and Twitter were to PM, comment, or tweet to some of these athletes, some of them might check us out. Perhaps launch a Facebook campaign to encourage certain players to check us out? I know Brad Ziegler is a pretty hardcore collector, so if anybody can find him on FB or Twitter, he might be easy to get.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I mentioned this before and nothing was done, but I’ll type it out again. My issue with this site is that ever since the software change, it’s been very difficult to post a reply without the page locking up. I will type something, then when I hit “Post Quick Reply”, the page locks up. The only way to continue is to refresh the page. When I refresh, everything I typed is gone. This happens nearly every time. So, the work-around is to type everything into MS Word first, then copy/paste the response into the board. It usually takes 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) times of “paste, submit, lock up, refresh” before the software finally accepts it and posts it. This happened on my old laptop (it died) as well as my new one. Both using Internet Explorer (currently IE9). If you see a post of mine in a weird font, now you know why. This issue also sometimes happens when I try to send a PM to someone. Needless to say, this is frustrating. I still often stop by to read what’s going on, but I rarely even log in any more.

As for the negative atmosphere around here, it IS noticeable when compared to a year or two ago. Quite often it’s the same people in the middle of the stink too. My suggestion: if someone from a discussion board is getting on your nerves then it’s time to do what I (and many others I assume) would do…exit the site or turn off the computer and do something productive.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I would like some kind of product review thread were we could all vote on a product ranking and get some kind of real feedback for if a product is worth it. Take this years Prizm FB, I think it sucks bad, some people love it, would be nice to have a thread were both sides could give their point of view, rate the product and let others make their decision based on real opinions.

That's a great idea, sign me up for baseball

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Not enough set collectors I really only collector topps sets and wish there was more traffic in the set collector section seems like base topps gets overlooked for chrome though

Word. There are few set collectors here and the vast majority of them collect heritage/retro (monstly Ginter and Heritage). If you don't collect one of those, there's really no point in trying to build sets here.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The entire hobby is shrinking with the shrinking economy. Economic uncertainty greatly affects disposable income for buyers and sellers.

So the above will change the dynamics of the site for sure.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Love the app!
Hate the bickering.
Bring back the Hot List or at least update the homepage. If I were someone new and I came to the homepage with a Hot List of early January, I would think this site hadn't been updated since then. It isn't a very good first impression of the site. I would encourage more giveaways, and I would do it for different levels of participation. Just for example, if you have 5000 or more posts you qualify for a card with an eBay value of $100, 2500 you would qualify for $50 and so on. I'm sure you could get BG to donate, and hit up the other manufacturers as well. Hell, contact DA Cardworld or BO and see if they could donate some sort of clearance boxes or gift cards. Maybe do the contest quarterly or three times a year. And I would be more than happy to run this for you if that's what it takes to make it happen.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I know a few already do it like Andrew, but it seems box/case breaks are really taking off on twitter. Alot of new sites have popped up. For instance, I'm in a 2 box break of Elite baseball for $8.99. I was in one for $4.50 once. you purchase directly on site and then watch live. I notice alot of people are following to these sites including the card comanies.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I know a few already do it like Andrew, but it seems box/case breaks are really taking off on twitter. Alot of new sites have popped up. For instance, I'm in a 2 box break of Elite baseball for $8.99. I was in one for $4.50 once. you purchase directly on site and then watch live. I notice alot of people are following to these sites including the card comanies.

I agree on this, I participate in some already and they are wildly successful.
If I had the chance to be on one night and someone in the chat has boxes to open and wanted to do a quick team or divisional break, on camera of course, I'd be all over it .

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
Love the app!
Hate the bickering.
Bring back the Hot List or at least update the homepage. If I were someone new and I came to the homepage with a Hot List of early January, I would think this site hadn't been updated since then. It isn't a very good first impression of the site. I would encourage more giveaways, and I would do it for different levels of participation. Just for example, if you have 5000 or more posts you qualify for a card with an eBay value of $100, 2500 you would qualify for $50 and so on. I'm sure you could get BG to donate, and hit up the other manufacturers as well. Hell, contact DA Cardworld or BO and see if they could donate some sort of clearance boxes or gift cards. Maybe do the contest quarterly or three times a year. And I would be more than happy to run this for you if that's what it takes to make it happen.

We must think alike. Contests do bring people to the site. In this economy, people literally want free XXXX. You could have a contest for 10 toploaders on twitter and it would get 80 retweets.

On another note, I bet Deltha Oneal, ex-Bengal DB would join site. I'm going to try actually. He always gives away autographed personal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online