Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Evolution of Videogames in Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I remember playing the Hardball games on my PC in the mid-1990's. Me and a friend in university dorm at the time challenged each other on Hardball 5, and would even write smack-talking mock newspaper articles and slip them under each other's doors. Good times!

- Rodrick

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Based on the fun I had with each respective game, my top 3 would probably be (in chronological order):

- Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run (SNES)
- All-Star Baseball 2001 (N64 - I remember being floored by one of my games being postponed by rain)
- MVP Baseball 2005 (Xbox)

The Triple Play games were fun as well, especially those that featured home run derbies in obscure locations (a living room, a station on the moon, etc).

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There was some game for the nes where it was nearly impossible to to throw out the hitter from third.

We would always have to throw to second and quickly to first.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
220px-Dusty_Diamond's_All-Star_Softball_Cover.jpg

This was the best NES baseball game by far. Fantasy roster pickups. Different player attributes and several different diamonds.

dusty-diamonds-all-star-softball-02.png

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I remember playing the Hardball games on my PC in the mid-1990's. Me and a friend in university dorm at the time challenged each other on Hardball 5, and would even write smack-talking mock newspaper articles and slip them under each other's doors. Good times!

- Rodrick

Oh hell yeah with Hardball 5! I played on PS1 I think. Took the Rangers and Darren Oliver all the way that year

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The Triple Play games were fun as well, especially those that featured home run derbies in obscure locations (a living room, a station on the moon, etc).

Loved the living room derby! Would play that for hours. "Spin us a yarn, would ya Buck?"

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
As an old-school NES guy I love Tecmo Baseball, Baseball Stars, but my favorite is Baseball Simulator 1.000. For the Sega Genesis I loved the first couple of installments of the World Series baseball franchise, liked it for thre Sega Saturn as well. For the XBox I enjoyed MVP 06 NCAA Baseball, gotta love the ping of the metal bats. For the PC I love Tony LaRussa's Ultimate Baseball, I can still remember the agony waiting for newly purchased floppy dics with updated rosters or new stadiums to come in the mail.

I play a lot of the older game on a site named Retro Uprising, which is similar to the site posted earlier in this thread except you can log in and battle for high scores. Plus the site also hosts emulators of other platforms like Sega, Coin-Op and Atari. Also a lot of older Japanese titles on the site.

Here's a link to a couple of the games:
Baseball Simulator 1.000:
Baseball Simulator 1.000 - Nintendo Entertainment System

Baseball Stars:
Baseball Stars - Nintendo Entertainment System

World Series Baseball:
World Series Baseball - Sega Genesis

Tecmo Baseball:
Tecmo Baseball - Nintendo Entertainment System

Last edited:

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
IMO it doesn't get any better than MVP 05, although MLB The Show comes pretty close. I've easily logged more hours on MVP 05 than any other game I've ever played. The music tracks from that game will be forever burned into my memory.

Agreed. Wish they could have kept up the series.

Members online

Latest posts