Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "HOLY CRAP!" end-price thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Re: The "HOLY CRAP" end-price thread

JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
Those two Kobe sales might be some of the dumbest uses of money I've ever seen.

Yes, because Andre Dawson cards are the epitome of intelligent spending

If someone spends $30K on a Dawson card, I'll bet that Charlie calls that out as dumb spending too.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

James52411 said:
JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
If someone spends $30K on a Dawson card, I'll bet that Charlie calls that out as dumb spending too.
Thanks James, I would... :lol:

I don't need defending from the biggest ****** on the board though.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

ChasHawk said:
mansgame said:
JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
LOL and you went there....
Gee, I wonder why... ;)

Because it was an asinine comment.

There were 6 bidders over $30k on the PMG, so wealthy Kobe collectors sure don't think it's a dumb way to spend their money.

Sorry if you aren't able to grasp the concept that basketball cards go for insane money

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
mansgame said:
JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
Gee, I wonder why... ;)

There were 6 bidders over $30k on the PMG, so wealthy Kobe collectors sure don't think it's a dumb way to spend their money.

Sorry if you aren't able to grasp the concept that basketball cards go for insane money
Please, oh great thinker, explain to me how my opinion has anything in the world to do with my ability to grasp the concept that basketball cards sell high?

I said it was a stupid use of money. My opinion, I stand behind it.

You are an *******, and an attention *****. Another opinion. I stand behind that one too.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

ChasHawk said:
JoshHamilton said:
ChasHawk said:
mansgame said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ChasHawk":3nu1vhgi]Those two Kobe sales might be some of the dumbest uses of money I've ever seen.
Gee, I wonder why... ;)

Please, oh great thinker, explain to me how my opinion has anything in the world to do with my ability to grasp the concept that basketball cards sell high?

I said it was a stupid use of money. My opinion, I stand behind it.

You are an *******, and an attention *****. Another opinion. I stand behind that one too.[/quote:3nu1vhgi]

I think buying Andre Dawson cards is a stupid use of money. My opinion, I stand behind it.

I am an *******. I stand behind that 100%.

I'm not an attention ***** though. Sorry

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Fact: out of all the Topps base set Andre Dawson cards from '77 to '89, the 1986 Topps is the lowest Pop Gem Mint 10 at only 3.

$4,000 card?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

How about we ask Mr. Jeter to get us back on track.

[ebay:33fh98by]140735829459[/ebay:33fh98by]

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX

I think this Jeter is worthy too...

[ebay:3omgx2dh]270952502602[/ebay:3omgx2dh]

Price seems crazy high for that set!

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky

I personally don't find those prices to be that crazy. I was not surpised at all that the Jeter Mirror Gold went that high, it is the holy grail of 90's cards for all player collectors. I would have no problem dropping a huge amount of money for the Larkin Mirror Gold if I ever see one (and I am not rich!). These cards never come up for auction and he is the most popular player in baseball, so i kind of expected it to go this high. The studio silver are ultra rare too - although if you look at the bid history it was 2 Jeter collectors bidding against each other. The 3rd highest bid was much lower.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin

sportscardtheory said:
tunahead said:

[ebay:jmfxdm05]270952502602[/ebay:jmfxdm05]

That is insane. His '96 stuff is REALLY heating up.

Why do you think this is? I have a three row shoe box full of Jeter only, wonder if it is only numbered cards?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

brauny said:
sportscardtheory said:
tunahead said:

[ebay:1tbebkhm]270952502602[/ebay:1tbebkhm]

That is insane. His '96 stuff is REALLY heating up.

Why do you think this is? I have a three row shoe box full of Jeter only, wonder if it is only numbered cards?

Probably because it's his true rookie season and has some of his earliest low serial-numbered/limited print-run cards. From 1992-1995 he had no cards limited to less than 250. 1996 was the first year that TRULY limited cards were being made, ie Circa Rave, Silver Press Proof, Mirror Gold and the like.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I liken 1996 Jeter stuff to say, the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. Knowledgeable hobbyists know that Mantle's RC is 1951 Bowman, but the value is in his 1952 Topps card. I think due to the more limited print-runs of some of the 1996 Jeter stuff, 1996 will be where you will see the highest realized prices for early Jeter cards in the future, and even now, as evidenced by recent sales.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky

I don't think it is so much that fact that it is Jeter, it is the 2 sets + Jeter that make these cards so valuable. I just paid $65 for the Larkin silver press proof that books for $25. And I would probably pay $500 for his Mirror Gold (books for $120 I believe). Not all of Derek Jeter's 1996 stuff is going to sell like this, it is just that these may be the 2 rarest cards from that year. Same thing with other years in the 90's. Look what his 1997 SPX grand finale /50 just sold for - $1,300+!

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX

I still think the Silver Press Proof went for a crazy amount... I paid $66 for my Ripken this past year at auction.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky

tunahead said:
I still think the Silver Press Proof went for a crazy amount... I paid $66 for my Ripken this past year at auction.

I think the 3rd highest bid was only like $100 if I remember correctly - 2 hardcore jeter collectors were bidding against each other. $66 is a steal for the Ripken - that is what I just paid for the Larkin and I was happy to only pay that.

Members online

Latest posts