Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

============ The Morning Thread ============

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
That's awesome! Your Watergate collection is honestly one of my biggest envies out of all the collections found on this board. Great stuff, sir!

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
That's awesome! Your Watergate collection is honestly one of my biggest envies out of all the collections found on this board. Great stuff, sir!

Thank you!

It is kind of a weird collection, but it truly makes me happy to add to it. About 25 books (6 or 7 signed), + newspapers, magazines, autographs, photos, letters. Amazes me that I can get autographs of most of the "participants" for between $25-50, sometimes less.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Hey all, got a huge addition to my Watergate collection today.

First, a little story on the funding of this one. A few weeks ago I bought the last three packs of SP Authentic Football at the LCS. I was told that they were "pretty sure" that the patch auto had been pulled, so I got all three packs for $6 total. In the first pack, I pulled a nice two color, patch auto (on card) of Seattle's Russell Wilson. I was going to keep it for awhile, but, after looking at the prices similar cards were getting on ebay (between 120-150 average), I got to thinking. I thought, hmmmm, if I sell this thing, I bet it would put me pretty close to what I needed for what may be the crown jewel of my Watergate collection. So, I made a deal with a collector from the LCS and sold the Wilson for $125 cash. Went to the bank, deposited it, and then started hunting some bookcollector boards/sites.

I had considered looking for a PSA/DNA of this guy, but didn't feel particularly comfortable with some of the "authentic" signatures out there. What I did find was right up my alley, however.

So, with no further ado, here 'tis:

Easton Press Signed Edition of The Memoirs of Richard Nixon:

001-8.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-2.jpg

Super pumped to get this one in hand, finally. The price, including shipping was $131. So, subtracting the Wilson money (which, as we know, doesn't count as real money), this cost me $5!

It is odd that one of my biggest purchases is of a person who I really do not admire at all. Regardless of what he said, he was a crook. But, I wanted my Watergate collection to be as complete as possible, and, it's history, after all.

Surprisingly, his is not the most expensive Watergate signature that I was looking for. There are a couple other guys that will probably/definitely be pricier. I will get those one day (Hunt, Barker, Felt), but this one is awesome.

Anyways, we now return you to our regularly scheduled broadcast. :cool:

Very cool addition to your collection - nice to be able to turn a deal like that!

I like reading Sci-Fi, and just got done with Jack McDevitt's new book "The Cassandra Project." Purely fiction, but one of the plot devices in the book is using Watergate as a cover-up for a matter of national security. The way it was worked into the plot was pretty ingenious.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Very cool addition to your collection - nice to be able to turn a deal like that!

I like reading Sci-Fi, and just got done with Jack McDevitt's new book "The Cassandra Project." Purely fiction, but one of the plot devices in the book is using Watergate as a cover-up for a matter of national security. The way it was worked into the plot was pretty ingenious.

Will have to check that one out. thanks for the recommendation!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow - awesome item listed on eBay. Jersey and cap, photoshoot worn by Grace, for the photo used on his 1993 Studio Heritage insert. $850 seems high though. I loved that card when it was released. Grace played like a throwback guy, and the look just seemed to fit him.

$T2eC16NHJGkE9no8gF7vBRR2QG8bBQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJI!E9qSO-StSBRR2QOloZw~~60_3.JPG

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Andrew, GREAT pull and even more impressive book auto!! Congrats!!!

I watch All The Presidents Men every time it's on TV

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Wow - awesome item listed on eBay. Jersey and cap, photoshoot worn by Grace, for the photo used on his 1993 Studio Heritage insert. $850 seems high though. I loved that card when it was released. Grace played like a throwback guy, and the look just seemed to fit him.

$T2eC16NHJGkE9no8gF7vBRR2QG8bBQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJI!E9qSO-StSBRR2QOloZw~~60_3.JPG

That card was a favorite of mine as soon as it came out. That jersey would be an awesome piece to own but I agree that it seems really high

thejackaryman8

Sep 11, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
Bought a box of the Best of 2012 baseball cards from WalMart and half of the packs were already opened inside the box...but it had the shrink wrap on the outside of the box. I already opened all of the packs (I opened the outside ones first) and then notices that the packs on the inside were already opened. Has this happened to anyone else before?

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Good evening all!
Andrew - An outstanding story that's only eclipsed by the end result!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Adding Redford and Hoffman would be awesome.
Pete - I'm a little late but GOOD LUCK with the interview!!!!

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I really don't wanna go to my night class. I didn't even run my errands today, I ended up taking a nap and I didn't want to wake up at all.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
002-21.jpg

Disabled American Veteran cards . most were giving away at stadiums real big at minor leagues . NOT made anymore this program was cut . Washington Rep would get Vets on field , players to visit them in hospitals etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts