Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Passing of a Member...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
This is something I think about every so often, dating back to my early online days with The Bench. I know several active members passed away while I was there and they were memorialized in their "Hall of Fame" area, but also several people still use avatars to this day that remember a few of them. One member I had gotten to "know" a little better and I was actually the one who figured out he had died and shared it with the rest of the board, after he disappeared suddenly. He was battling cancer, so it was not a surprise, but was also the main reason I went looking for him and instead found an obit.

We interact with each other (daily in many cases), but most of us really don't know each other all that well. Some members have very active engagements with each other while becoming friends along the way, some have actually even met in person and perhaps some were friends before being members together, but it is something to think about. Most of us may ask ourselves from time to time..."Will anyone online even miss my presence when I disappear?" I know I often wonder when someone who was otherwise active and engaged, all of the sudden disappears without any pre-warning, if they just needed a break for whatever reason or if something happened to them.

RIP fellow collector.

@mr148927 - Do you know how old he was and possibly was this a surprise to those who knew him or was he dealing with issues?
James was 40 years old, married with a son. James was fighting Lymphoma, and had beat it. However it came back, and treatment did not work this time around.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
James was 40 years old, married with a son. James was fighting Lymphoma, and had beat it. However it came back, and treatment did not work this time around.

If you can, and you think it is appropriate, if you could link to his obituary, members might want to pass on their condolences and memories to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This is something I think about every so often, dating back to my early online days with The Bench. I know several active members passed away while I was there and they were memorialized in their "Hall of Fame" area, but also several people still use avatars to this day that remember a few of them. One member I had gotten to "know" a little better and I was actually the one who figured out he had died and shared it with the rest of the board, after he disappeared suddenly. He was battling cancer, so it was not a surprise, but was also the main reason I went looking for him and instead found an obit.

We interact with each other (daily in many cases), but most of us really don't know each other all that well. Some members have very active engagements with each other while becoming friends along the way, some have actually even met in person and perhaps some were friends before being members together, but it is something to think about. Most of us may ask ourselves from time to time..."Will anyone online even miss my presence when I disappear?" I know I often wonder when someone who was otherwise active and engaged, all of the sudden disappears without any pre-warning, if they just needed a break for whatever reason or if something happened to them.

RIP fellow collector.

@mr148927 - Do you know how old he was and possibly was this a surprise to those who knew him or was he dealing with issues?

Really well said. The internet has created places for for all of us to find others who share our interests and passions, and there are many people here who I view as friends, but at the same time, in most cases, there is a barrier and a distance that is difficult to overcome without meeting in person and spending time.

That said, I know for myself, this place and the old Beckett boards were a place I used to spend a ton of time, and they helped me through some really difficult and lonely times.

And really sorry to hear about James passing. Seems like we've lost a few members recently.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
O NO NO NO NO NO.

This can’t be.

I’m heartbroken

As the fellow resident Doerr collector, James and I shared a competitive friendship where we would go after the same cards and 1/1 but always congrats each other no matter who won. His friendship over the years was the one I valued most on here, and no matter how much time has passed, when we caught up it would always be like we didn’t miss a beat.

Just devastating news. Ugh 2020 is the worst.

@mr148927 Can you please reach out to me via DM? I would like to express my condolences to his family directly.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

rvolner

Aug 25, 2020
Hi there folks - this is Rachel, James' (rebelpawn's) wife. I surely never thought I'd be creating an account and posting on this message board! I was missing him today, and just wanted to poke my head in here for a few minutes, because this was truly his happy place. It seemed he spent most of his free time here or on Ebay :) I was so moved to find this thread, and all of your kind comments -- thank you all very much for the thoughts and condolences. James was definitely one of the greats.

Someone mentioned linking to his obituary -- it's available here, along with a photo album: http://csnh.tributes.com/obituary/read/James-Volner-108491429.

Again, thank you all!

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Hi there folks - this is Rachel, James' (rebelpawn's) wife. I surely never thought I'd be creating an account and posting on this message board! I was missing him today, and just wanted to poke my head in here for a few minutes, because this was truly his happy place. It seemed he spent most of his free time here or on Ebay :) I was so moved to find this thread, and all of your kind comments -- thank you all very much for the thoughts and condolences. James was definitely one of the greats.

Someone mentioned linking to his obituary -- it's available here, along with a photo album: http://csnh.tributes.com/obituary/read/James-Volner-108491429.

Again, thank you all!

I find this very touching that you came here for the reason that you stated. My deepest sympathies on your loss.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts

Again, thank you all!

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

Again, thank you all!
I'd love to think my wife might do the same for me, but something tells me not. Sounds like James had a great partner in you Rachel. I'd guess most of us do tend to spend a lot of time focused on cards (hopefully well balanced with the rest of life though) and it is easy for friends and family to quickly dismiss it as nerdy or child's play. It does bring joy to a lot of folks to deal in cards though and who doesn't enjoy being happy?

Thank you for coming in and posting, even if it was under these circumstances. Maybe dabbling in the cards themselves might create a stronger link to his after his passing. Again, most wives would not (mine threatens at least monthly that she'll toss my cards when I die), but some may enjoy the connection. Best wishes and take care.

Members online