Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Deck Ceo Richard McWilliam passed away. Good or Bad for UD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Upper Deck invented the high end trading card. The guy had issues, but no denying he changed the face of sports cards that most of us eat up 25 years later.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Richard was an innovator and one of the smartest men I ever met...
I am sincerely sorry for both his family and the loyal employees of his company.
Regardless of your opinion of him, I cannot imagine anyone not finding the situation at least sad.
What this means for Upper Deck just doesn't seem all that important compared to a loss of a life far too young.
Brian

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
Richard wasn't the innovator, the guys he screwed out of the company were the innovators.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
RIP. Condolences to his family and those close to him.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
For everyone happy he died...

He ran a baseball card company. Baseball cards. Little cardboard things you look at and occasionally display. Cards picturing well-proportioned alpha males.

For those wishing ill-will, get a life. And go get laid

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
We all are born and all die. R.I.P. to the man who, directly/indirectly gave me my first big hit ever (in late '98, a '96 UD Football box w/a Brunell GU Jersey).

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008

He ran a baseball card company. Baseball cards. Little cardboard things you look at and occasionally display. Cards picturing well-proportioned alpha males.

For those wishing ill-will, get a life.

Had to quote this, I actually whole heartedly agree with JH!

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009

For those wishing ill-will, get a life. And go get laid

I wish no ill-will. I am shocked at the news and feel it's a sad time in our hobby. I sincerely wish only the very best for Richard's friends and family as they deal with this trying time.

However, from the other side of this coin...You are right that it's just cardboard. So why did McWilliam feel the need to cheat so many people over it?

Your argument works both ways. It is very important to never forget the corruption.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
It's sad when a person allows alcohol to take over their life and end it. I think we can recognize the sins and bad actions of a man and yet feel pity for him over his self-destruction.

Last edited:

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
I actually met him before UD. He was a sales rep that called on the Commissary my dad managed in the military (Norton AFB in CA). Nice man. Can't believe how cold-hearted some people can be.

Members online

Latest posts