Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

Not to be nit-picky but I don't believe they are the same. If you look at the Teddy 24 it is written in one clear stroke the 2 then the 4, if you look at the Carew 10 you will see that it looks like the 1 and 0 were traced over and over, neither was written with just one stroke. The fact that the Teddy is 24 makes me concerned about the legitimacy of the 10 Carew that I was previously non-concerned about.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Not to be nit-picky but I don't believe they are the same. If you look at the Teddy 24 it is written in one clear stroke the 2 then the 4, if you look at the Carew 10 you will see that it looks like the 1 and 0 were traced over and over, neither was written with just one stroke. The fact that the Teddy is 24 makes me concerned about the legitimacy of the 10 Carew that I was previously non-concerned about.
My concern isn't on the hand writing being the same but it's the same fricken marker used on both knobs, lol

Look at the color of the marker and tell me it's not the same color??

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
My concern isn't on the hand writing being the same but it's the same fricken marker used on both knobs, lol

Look at the color of the marker and tell me it's not the same color??

It's very similar for sure, are the card companies making these markings? Maybe they've already cut up the bat knobs and they don't want to mix up whose is whose? Then why are they putting the wrong number - very strange for sure.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if Teddy was on the same panama team that Carew was on ;) or is this a teddy minor league bat, lol.

I'm sure there is or isn't a valid explanation for both knobs and I'm interested to see if more pop up. As of now it is fishy at best.

We have the Gehrig come back from his grave patch piece, the Ruth fancy wallet and the 2 knobs with same marker and different numbers... hmmmmmm.. I'll take the Ruth wallet :)

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
That Teddy definitely looks like the end to me, but are you sure about the Carew? I originally thought knob but guess I'm wrong.

It's possibly that both of these bats are recycled bats that were passed down for other players to use them. Then some how topps was able to trace them back to the original player but said player saying so. I know I'm reaching but has to be something like that. Also you may be correct that a topps employee marked them to keep track not thinking topps would use the barrel ends in cards. They don't communicate very well at topps, lol.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'd take the Teddy knob lol, I'm not 100% convinced it's with the same marker and I'm no detective but the Carew is a 2014 and the Teddy is a 2015. The fact that the "10" on the Carew was traced multiple times and the Teddy is a clear sharp, single stroke "24" makes me think it's different perhaps the marker used on the Carew was fading. Not that that's any indication of whether each if legit haha, maybe just me looking too deep into things. It could easily be that both were cut up pre-2014 and the same marker was used, shady set to say the least.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
It's possibly that both of these bats are recycled bats that were passed down for other players to use them. Then some how topps was able to trace them back to the original player but said player saying so. I know I'm reaching but has to be something like that. Also you may be correct that a topps employee marked them to keep track not thinking topps would use the barrel ends in cards. They don't communicate very well at topps, lol.

If Topps is doing this it's a shame that they have such little respect for the intelligence of their memorabilia collectors...

Either that or they just don't care

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
If Topps is doing this it's a shame that they have such little respect for the intelligence of their memorabilia collectors...

Either that or they just don't care

I agree ( if that's the case) there has to be a better way to keep track of inventory than mark up memorabilia with their own pens. As for the Williams it looks really new, I'll have to go thru my knobs and see which ones look new as I'm sure I have a couple. I'm just glad my Teddy knob has the number 9 on it and not in red marker, lol.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Here is the Gibby I was talking about days ago. It's the only bat knob I have that's numbered that isn't associated with the player or in Gibbys case, I don't think so? Being that Gibby was a pitcher and dint use bats too often there could be a ton of explanations.

Now if you look at the bottom of the knob where it is blacked out it looks like the numbers 45 are still there only someone blacked it out with a marker. This could be a case of 2 different players or pitchers using the same bat?

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Here is the Gibby I was talking about days ago. It's the only bat knob I have that's numbered that isn't associated with the player or in Gibbys case, I don't think so? Being that Gibby was a pitcher and dint use bats too often there could be a ton of explanations.

Now if you look at the bottom of the knob where it is blacked out it looks like the numbers 45 are still there only someone blacked it out with a marker. This could be a case of 2 different players or pitchers using the same bat?

Found the auction that your knob came from: http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-17969.aspx

Members online

Latest posts