Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
WoundedDuck said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Thanks to scotty21690 for having this card in his signature as I had never seen it until then and had to get one. More of a pain to find than I thought.

1910Hooper.png

very nice card....pretty sure you outbid me on that one if you picked it up very recently.

Yeah, I just won it last Sunday I believe. I really had no idea what it would end at. I scoured the internet for one before I turned to ebay and even then this was the first one in awhile. I think a PSA 2 is up right now but I'd have to check. I put in a snipe for this one and luckily I went back and jacked it up a little more just in case. The bidder who bid just before me was literally about $2.50 off my max. I'll be shooting it out to SGC in the next month or so. I know it'll get a 1 with the paper loss on the back but I love their holders and these kinds of cards look amazing in the black insert. The front is amazing. No creases, folds, or paper loss.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
walsh.png

Back is pretty rough and it's got the hole in the top of the card, but that's probably the only reason I could afford it :p . The color and front of the card is gorgeous in my opinion. I'll probably send it off to SGC just to have it in the holder. I know almost nothing about vintage grading, but I'd bet the best I could hope for is a 10, but it'll probably be an A.....or is it possible it wouldn't grade?

I'm normally not as big a fan of most of the T206 portraits, but I loved this one. I'm hoping to pick up a Hal Chase pink backround portrait as well as it's one of the few other portraits I like.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
WoundedDuck said:
walsh.png

Back is pretty rough and it's got the hole in the top of the card, but that's probably the only reason I could afford it :p . The color and front of the card is gorgeous in my opinion. I'll probably send it off to SGC just to have it in the holder. I know almost nothing about vintage grading, but I'd bet the best I could hope for is a 10, but it'll probably be an A.....or is it possible it wouldn't grade?

I'm normally not as big a fan of most of the T206 portraits, but I loved this one. I'm hoping to pick up a Hal Chase pink backround portrait as well as it's one of the few other portraits I like.

Great card! I'm the same way with portraits. Some I love, others not so much. This pick up just has a great color for the background and the card just jumps out at you. As long as the card hasn't been re-colored/trimmed/altered in any way, it will come back as a 10 (1) poor. Granted, I'm not sure how they view the pinhole at the top so I may be wrong in which case it could come back as an "A". Either way, it'll look great in the SGC holder. I just received a T206 portrait back that had horrible paper loss on the back and it got a 10 (1).

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
WoundedDuck said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
Thanks to scotty21690 for having this card in his signature as I had never seen it until then and had to get one. More of a pain to find than I thought.

1910Hooper.png

very nice card....pretty sure you outbid me on that one if you picked it up very recently.

Yeah, I just won it last Sunday I believe. I really had no idea what it would end at. I scoured the internet for one before I turned to ebay and even then this was the first one in awhile. I think a PSA 2 is up right now but I'd have to check. I put in a snipe for this one and luckily I went back and jacked it up a little more just in case. The bidder who bid just before me was literally about $2.50 off my max. I'll be shooting it out to SGC in the next month or so. I know it'll get a 1 with the paper loss on the back but I love their holders and these kinds of cards look amazing in the black insert. The front is amazing. No creases, folds, or paper loss.
HUGE congrats!!!! :shock: :shock:

How nice looking is that card in person??? That one seems to be in VERY nice shape, too.

And yes, they do NOT show up very often....I should have warned you. :lol:

Now you should go after some Ed Cicotte ;) :

e95cicotte.jpg

Keep up the nice vintage collection man, great start!

Also, nice pickups everyone else. Sorry I haven't contributed anything in a while, money is tight right now but hopefully I will have some money to spend soon.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
scotty21690 said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
WoundedDuck said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:

How nice looking is that card in person??? That one seems to be in VERY nice shape, too.

Also, nice pickups everyone else. Sorry I haven't contributed anything in a while, money is tight right now but hopefully I will have some money to spend soon.

The front is amazing but does have some paper loss on the back. Looks like it was in a scrap book at one time or another. The paper loss is not THAT bad but still there. In any event, I couldn't pass this up as the front is just great. No creases/folds/scratches or anything. It's off to SGC hopefully in the next week or two.

And believe me, old Eddie is on my list but I'm thinking of going after a Christy Mathewson soon. I'm leaning towards his T205 as opposed to the T206 portrait. However, I want to see what else he has out there that looks good too.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
scotty21690 said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:
WoundedDuck said:
RiceLynnEvans75 said:

The front is amazing but does have some paper loss on the back. Looks like it was in a scrap book at one time or another. The paper loss is not THAT bad but still there. In any event, I couldn't pass this up as the front is just great. No creases/folds/scratches or anything. It's off to SGC hopefully in the next week or two.

And believe me, old Eddie is on my list but I'm thinking of going after a Christy Mathewson soon. I'm leaning towards his T205 as opposed to the T206 portrait. However, I want to see what else he has out there that looks good too.
It's a great looking card, and will look awesome in an SGC holder. :)

I like Mathewsons T205 but I am a HUGE fan of his 1909 E101:

!BqKyTEgBWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMEu,nUSNz(BLuki05I-g~~_3.jpg
Not mine. ;)

GrangerCollector

May 12, 2010
Indiana
I am new to these forums and wanted to say great vintage cards everyone. Just blown away by some of your collections!!!

Here is my latest Mantle pickup. My goal is to have every Mantle from 51-59 graded a PSA 4 and every Mantle from 60-69 graded a PSA 5. I started my project on 1/1/10 and have a feeling it will be a long time until I finish my goal (the 52 topps at a PSA 4 will be almost impossible for me to ever get/afford). Anyways....here is my latest Mantle and you can see my progress in my sig :)

scan0004.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008
18_donovan.png
89_zauchin.png
46_freese.png
47_fowler.png

With these it brings my total up to 72/340. Still a long ways off. Please Enjoy.

Edit: To say, great pickups everyone!

GrangerCollector: Great collection of Mantle cards!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
GrangerCollector said:
I am new to these forums and wanted to say great vintage cards everyone. Just blown away by some of your collections!!!

Here is my latest Mantle pickup. My goal is to have every Mantle from 51-59 graded a PSA 4 and every Mantle from 60-69 graded a PSA 5. I started my project on 1/1/10 and have a feeling it will be a long time until I finish my goal (the 52 topps at a PSA 4 will be almost impossible for me to ever get/afford). Anyways....here is my latest Mantle and you can see my progress in my sig :)

scan0004.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Impressive!!! Mantle's 53 Topps will always be my favorite of his... :)

Welcome to the boards, too! :mrgreen:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
GrangerCollector said:

scan0004.jpg

Thanks for looking!

There's more than enough room for another Mantle collector :D
DANNY

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Great pickups, everyone!

Welcome to the boards, GrangerCollector. Good luck with your Mantle project. Be sure to keep us updated.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Graymouse said:
Nice Freese!

I finally picked up the 12th (and final) Topps base card for my Freese collection.
[ebay:2bfzev3z] 220597813911[/ebay:2bfzev3z]
And with this purchase I bought every single card of his older brother
[ebay:2bfzev3z] 360238321570[/ebay:2bfzev3z]

Some day I'll scan my Freese collection for you guys. It's pretty extensive.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I just started collecting the 1938 Churchman Boxing personalities. No scans as of yet. It is not a "valuable" set by any means but has cards of Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Max Baer ("Jethro's dad!), and others.

Members online