Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Anybody ever heard of 1957-1959 New York Sunday News Diamond Gallery newspaper cuts? Can't find much info about them, all I know was that the NY Sunday News featured two players each Sunday, with pictures from photographers Robert Cranston and Lee Elkins. Some were printed side by side, and some with one player's photo above the second player.

Would love to know if a checklist exists. Probably pretty tough to find in any condition, being paper and regional. There's about 7 listed on eBay for those 3 years. Added this 1957 Zimmer / Harshman to my Zim PC.

57DIAMONDGALLERY.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Newspaper cards, or bubblegumless cards as they are often referred to are a vastly overlooked area of the noddy in my opinion. I have seen a good number of different issues, both reoccuring (like weekly new players) or all players in one newspaper. I love them and try to pick up any I see at a good price. I don't care if they are not in my collecting arena, other than they have to be unique. For example, I would not buy just any Dayton one, as they seem to be more plentiful.

I know @DaClyde has dome some research by subscribing to those newspaper services and looking through old microfilm files. If you have a newspaper name and date when they appeared, as long as the site has that particular paper archived, you could build a checklist yourself, if one is not found otherwise.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I love vintage, but since I did a lot of shopping for that early on and with prices rising, I don't pick up as mush as i should. My pick-ups are also overshadowed by my Dodher collection most of the time. most of what I do by now is either signed or oddball.

Here are some neat odds and ends I have received since the start of 2021!

Hostess panel lot, with Eck rookie

s-l1600-9.jpg

1970 Jack in the Box Al Oliver. These are described as being a collectors issue. Not actually affiliated with Jack in the Box, but known as such in the hobby. I had not seen one before, searching for Al Oliver stuff, so they are not plentiful. Looks like something that could be easily reproduced though. This probably falls somewhere between Broder and something like TCMA might have issued, but probably more towards the broder end. No ID/Manufacturer shown.

s-l1600-5.jpg

These tend to be pretty scarce and some of the strips sell for amazing money. perhaps some are just easier to find. I have only seen a couple Dodger strips sold in all my ebay years. however, I was able to get these three for $10 each. At $2 per player, this is a fair price to nab a bunch of HOFers! Carew, Yount, Fingers and Winfield.

1978 RC Cola transfers

s-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-7.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I love vintage, but since I did a lot of shopping for that early on and with prices rising, I don't pick up as mush as i should. My pick-ups are also overshadowed by my Dodher collection most of the time. most of what I do by now is either signed or oddball.

Here are some neat odds and ends I have received since the start of 2021!

Hostess panel lot, with Eck rookie

View attachment 120495

1970 Jack in the Box Al Oliver. These are described as being a collectors issue. Not actually affiliated with Jack in the Box, but known as such in the hobby. I had not seen one before, searching for Al Oliver stuff, so they are not plentiful. Looks like something that could be easily reproduced though. This probably falls somewhere between Broder and something like TCMA might have issued, but probably more towards the broder end. No ID/Manufacturer shown.

View attachment 120496

These tend to be pretty scarce and some of the strips sell for amazing money. perhaps some are just easier to find. I have only seen a couple Dodger strips sold in all my ebay years. however, I was able to get these three for $10 each. At $2 per player, this is a fair price to nab a bunch of HOFers! Carew, Yount, Fingers and Winfield.

1978 RC Cola transfers

View attachment 120497View attachment 120498View attachment 120499
Nice....I especially like the RC transfers.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll consider this a vintage item, early Ozzie Smith team issue type photo.

Ozzie Padres.jpg

Ozzie has such a simplistic signature that I would be concerned that it could be easily forged. I bought this from a guy who had Padre connections, so I feel pretty good about it. Not saying there couldn't be issues, but this is as near comfortable as I get when dealing with signature items.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I also got this today. It's got some cool pre-Dodger stuff, as it is from 1978 and the Dukes were the AAA farm club for the Dodgers. I counted 12 players on the roster who played for prior or went on to play for the Dodgers. The cover is pretty cool too, but...that guy looks very familiar to me, but not as a Dodger!

s-l1600-3.jpg

That is clearly Rod Carew, star hitter for the Twins!!

eadf4b0acdb637626185c4eaf55d6a05--sports-baseball-baseball-players.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Got these two with Banks on them recently. The '63 has 5 HOFer's including Mays and Aaron...can't beat that!

full
full

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Sometimes I buy weird things. Last week, I bought 4 different "Warranty Deeds" (property deeds guaranteeing clean owndership) dating from 1853-1890 that were signed by Cap Anson's father and mother, Henry Anson and wife Jennette. The one I scanned below is from 1855. Henry Anson settled and founded the town of Marshalltown, Iowa. Cap Anson was the first child born in Marshalltown. Henry owned many plots of land in the town, and sold them off over the years. He also played baseball with his two sons (Adrian "Cap" Anson and Sturgis) on the Marshalltown Stars independent team. It was while the 1870 Stars team played an exhibition game against the Rockford Forest City team that Cap Anson was discovered. Reports were that all 3 Anson's were offered contracts, but Henry and son Sturgis stayed home. Cap joined the Rockford team for the 1871 season, the first year of the National League. Guess this is my oldest "baseball" autograph, although Henry never played professionally, the Marshalltown Stars were just a town league team.

ansondeed.jpg

Here's a tintype of Marshalltown Stars including Cap Anson and Sturgis Anson, and the statue of Henry Anson that resides in front of the courthouse in Marshalltown.

ansontintype.jpg
henryanson.jpg

Last edited:

Members online